Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,662 members, 7,955,397 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 03:16 AM

How Policemen Arrested Us For Standing In An ATM Queue - Ogbiwa - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How Policemen Arrested Us For Standing In An ATM Queue - Ogbiwa (480 Views)

Treasure Nduka, EndSARS Protester: Policemen Arrested, Forced Me To Take Off Bra / Policemen Arrested At A Bank While Waiting To Extort Men Of N1 Million. Photos / Lady Slaps Man On ATM Queue. He Walks Away (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Policemen Arrested Us For Standing In An ATM Queue - Ogbiwa by ogbiwa: 3:48pm On Oct 18, 2020
This may sound funny but actually a true story. December 2012 I had gone to withdraw cash I would use to travel to my home town the next day. While waiting in line at a Gtbank ATM, policemen came to arrest some boys in a building across the road from the bank.

When they couldn't find the boys, they crossed the road to our side and surrendered everyone on the queue, telling us to produce the missing boys or we would all be arrested. They lay all of us down by the roadside at gunpoint. This was happening in broad daylight on a very busy road. There were about 20-25 of us, including elderly people. Some bike men that just brought people to withdraw were also not spared.

Within minutes they had flagged down a truck and loaded all of us into the truck also at gunpoint, like you would do convicted criminals, and they forced the truck driver to drive us to their station where they put us behind counter and were going to write charge sheets before we recovered from our initial shock and began protesting. Honest truth is that till we got to the station I still couldn't believe I was being arrested and taken to the station just for standing in an ATM queue in broad daylight. I still felt it wasn't happening and was waiting for the joke to end.

When our protests became loud, they moved all of us to the DPO's office where he started releasing only those with an ID card and an ATM card. So those whose only crime was to follow someone to the ATM or just that they had no ID, were detained without question simply because Nigerian policemen believe they could do anything and not be challenged.

I had tremendous pity for an Alfa guy, very intelligent guy but who they were already profiling as a potential terrorist cos that time was at the height of bombings all over the country. To make matters worse, this guy's work ID simply included the word something 'lighting' and that was all. He was instantly accused of producing explosives and handcuffed! In my presence.

SARS officers have seized my car one late night while returning from church because I refused to 'roja' and they forced me to drive the car to their station to be impounded. When I stopped the car that fuel had finished, these guys drove kilometers in their van to buy fuel so that the car must get to their station! For what crime? I didn't roja.

It's when good people keep doing nothing that the bad guys win.

Extortion, brutality, high handedness, daylight robbery, illegal checkpoints and unprovoked killings by the Nigerian police force (Not just SARS) cannot be allowed to continue.

#EndPoliceBrutality
Ogbiwa

Lalasticlala Mynd44

Lalasticlala Mynd44

1 Like

Re: How Policemen Arrested Us For Standing In An ATM Queue - Ogbiwa by Kestolove(m): 3:50pm On Oct 18, 2020
#EndBuhari

3 Likes

Re: How Policemen Arrested Us For Standing In An ATM Queue - Ogbiwa by FoolaniBandit: 3:51pm On Oct 18, 2020
#EndSars #EndBuahri #EndNigeria

2 Likes

Re: How Policemen Arrested Us For Standing In An ATM Queue - Ogbiwa by Logon59: 3:54pm On Oct 18, 2020
It's well with Nigeria.
#EndPoliceBrutality
Re: How Policemen Arrested Us For Standing In An ATM Queue - Ogbiwa by longetivity(m): 3:59pm On Oct 18, 2020
NPF at work
Re: How Policemen Arrested Us For Standing In An ATM Queue - Ogbiwa by Moferere: 4:19pm On Oct 18, 2020
People have a lot of reasons to be angry o

2 Likes

Re: How Policemen Arrested Us For Standing In An ATM Queue - Ogbiwa by Nobody: 5:27pm On Oct 18, 2020
grin Nigeria oo...they write lighting for person ID card get and automatically na bomb maker
Re: How Policemen Arrested Us For Standing In An ATM Queue - Ogbiwa by Fahdiga(m): 5:36pm On Oct 18, 2020
Nigerian police force are not the world worst police for nothing. they earned it

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Angry Mob Set Orile Police Station On Fire (video) / Change Dp To Blooded Nigeria Flag / TVC Currently Under Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.