Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,534 members, 7,816,304 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:12 AM

Pucker Your Lips And Get To Kissing - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Pucker Your Lips And Get To Kissing (1162 Views)

My Lips Are Sealed And My Heart Is Open..... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Pucker Your Lips And Get To Kissing by batimoore: 10:59am On Mar 08, 2011
Oreka of the Beatfm tweeted this a few days ago “Forget your actual skills, that resume’s useless here. On this land, rules are: Kill for it, Kiss ass, Kpox for it or get ready to go home”. I saw this and was amazed by how accurately it describes the warzone that is the Entertainment industry. In pidgin parlance “man know man”. A lot of us have become arm chair critics, hurling missiles at the so called “ass kissers”. Dear reader from here on, I shall refer to this as “brown nosing”. It is easier on the eyes.
In a perfect world all you need is your box of talent or bag, how you travel is your sole prerogative. Look around you, pick up a handful of sand, yes now taste it. Does it taste like chicken? If it does, now pinch yourself really hard. Obviously you’re dreaming. Last time I checked Ghaddafi is still dancing to reggae tunes. That in itself is proof that the world we live in is far from perfect. Brown nosing is not exclusive or restricted to the Nigerian entertainment industry. It is a global phenomenon and is found in all spheres of life.
Have you ever wondered why “brown nosing” continually thrives? Do people really like the taste or smell of behinds? Surely there were radicals like you, who disdained the culture that is “brown nosing”. I am certain they also threw mountains at those who practiced it. Yet here we are, in 2011 learning new ways to kiss ass (sorry brown nose). You’re probably saying to yourself “God forbid the devil I shall never brown nose”.
I totally admire your conviction. You are the kind of people we need to kick this evil monster to the curb. Voltron! We the mere mortals hail you. A wise man once said “pick your battles carefully”. I for instance will not be challenging Dame Patience Jonathan to a bad grammar contest. We all know I can never win that fight. Does “brown nosing” make the world we live in, a better place? The answer is an emphatic NO.
The very practice of it only helps to feed the already bloated Egos of those at the top. Nowadays almost everyone has a “god complex”. Why? It is because someone out there has thoroughly imprinted their behinds with a million kisses. A lot of you say things like, brown nosers are dummies and should bury their heads in the sand. You lie! A brown noser is the clever one. You are a better musician/actor/model/dancer, yet he/she has the record deal/ job.
Do not get me wrong, people make it in the “Industry” without ditching their pride. Fact is they are few and far in between. In the defense of this “not so noble act”, some might argue, an upstart has no business holding onto self pride. I disagree self pride is a necessary commodity. At what point do you need to put your pride on the back burner? If all it will take for you to land that paying gig is a little flattery and caressing of egos, why are you wallowing in “suffer head?”
I pray every day that the world judges me solely on my Talent and not on the sweetness of my tongue. Once in a while that happens, but 70% of the time I accompany it with a little “brown nosing”. No one is asking you to compromise your values in a bid to impress. Sexual gratification is not “brown nosing” it is prostitution. Do not be deceived people know when you’re trying to score brownie points. If you play your cards right, 90% of them will oblige you.
You can sit here all day and night telling me why we should do away with it. It will not change the price of fish in the market. For as long as we are humans and we make decisions based on our emotions, brown nosing is going nowhere. People will practice and welcome this culture. Lest you judge me all I ask is, before you do; search deep within you. If you have never in your entire life, kissed ass then go on and take aim.
As with all things in life, too much of everything is bad. Which is why; 10% of the people you attempt to brown nose will have none of it. It is up to you, to use your God given common sense in determining when and to what extent you should brown nose. However if you successfully wade through life without any form of “brown nosing”, please write a book showing us earthlings “How to”. I look forward to reading it and doing away with my sweet tongue. Thank you for reading.

Read More Of Her Article on http://tooxclusive.com/main/social-life-in-africa/
Re: Pucker Your Lips And Get To Kissing by afrosays(m): 3:16pm On Mar 14, 2011
I consider it a privilege to be the first person to give you a thumbs up!
Well written, entertaining, yet provocative article.

Now on to the shared link with hopes to find more eye-candy.

(1) (Reply)

My Days In Oo / Why Do Most Writers End Up Becoming Atheist? / Where Is The Guy I Married? 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.