Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,281 members, 7,957,722 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 06:24 PM

Update!.15 Protesters, Two Policemen Killed -Amnesty Report - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Update!.15 Protesters, Two Policemen Killed -Amnesty Report (486 Views)

4 Policemen Killed In Enugu Checkpoint Attack / Chicago Update: 15 Reasons Why Nigerian Universities, Dons, Scholars Are Silent / Emmanuel Agbadu Akabe's Convoy Attacked, 5 Policemen Killed In Nasarawa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Update!.15 Protesters, Two Policemen Killed -Amnesty Report by nairalandankrah: 4:00pm On Oct 19, 2020
At least 15 people have been killed, including two policemen, since protests against police brutality erupted in Nigeria this month, according to Amnesty International on Monday.

Anger over abuses by Nigeria police’s notorious Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) forced the government to scrap the unit, but protests have continued and snowballed into calls for sweeping changes in the West African powerhouse.

One person died in the northern city of Kano on Monday while four others died in Benin City, Abuja and Osogbo over the weekend, Amnesty spokesman Isa Sanusi told AFP.

Amnesty had reported a death toll of 10 last Thursday, a week after the protests erupted.

In Lagos, home to 20 million people, thousands of people took to the streets again on Monday bringing the economic hub to a standstill.

In the capital Abuja, tensions were high after protestors said they were attacked by suspected hired thugs on Sunday.

“The Nigerian army and police are everywhere, no doubt to stop the peaceful protest,” 24-year-old demonstrator [/b]Anita Izato told AFP.

Meanwhile, police said one of their facilities was attacked on Monday by “[b]persons posing as #EndSARS protestors” in Benin, Edo state

“The extent of damage cannot be ascertained at the moment but the report indicates that the protesters carted away arms and ammunition from the armoury and freed the suspects in custody before setting some of the facilities ablaze,” the Nigerian police said on Twitter.

A new SWAT force to replace SARS was scheduled to start its training on Monday.

Re: Update!.15 Protesters, Two Policemen Killed -Amnesty Report by slivertongue: 4:20pm On Oct 19, 2020
hmmm
Re: Update!.15 Protesters, Two Policemen Killed -Amnesty Report by slivertongue: 4:22pm On Oct 19, 2020
Anger over abuses by Nigeria police’s notorious Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) forced the government to scrap the unit, but protests have continued and snowballed into calls for sweeping changes
Re: Update!.15 Protesters, Two Policemen Killed -Amnesty Report by Homeboiy: 4:37pm On Oct 19, 2020
undecided
Re: Update!.15 Protesters, Two Policemen Killed -Amnesty Report by Fahdiga(m): 4:40pm On Oct 19, 2020
I think this is high time that international community should step in and sanction Nigeria over violation of human rights. Buhari should tender his resignation letter with apology to all Nigerians. he has failed in every aspect of governance
Re: Update!.15 Protesters, Two Policemen Killed -Amnesty Report by 360degreess(m): 4:49pm On Oct 19, 2020
Fahdiga:
I think this is high time that international community should step in and sanction Nigeria over violation of human rights. Buhari should tender his resignation letter with apology to all Nigerians. he has failed in every aspect of governance
...So you believe that evil organization called "Amnesty international"?
For you to say Buhari should resign, I think you need to go for mental check up. A democratically elected president?. Wake up from your slumber.
Buhari till 2023.

Re: Update!.15 Protesters, Two Policemen Killed -Amnesty Report by Kingnutts(m): 4:51pm On Oct 19, 2020
I shock when i hear say dem kill Benin man, me weh dey fear the Youths,
Re: Update!.15 Protesters, Two Policemen Killed -Amnesty Report by complexBoss12: 4:52pm On Oct 19, 2020
ok
Re: Update!.15 Protesters, Two Policemen Killed -Amnesty Report by Brandstudio01: 4:53pm On Oct 19, 2020
That's what get in a country whose Leaders are missing in action. We won't be here if they had done the right thing
Re: Update!.15 Protesters, Two Policemen Killed -Amnesty Report by jlinkd78(m): 4:56pm On Oct 19, 2020
Following
Re: Update!.15 Protesters, Two Policemen Killed -Amnesty Report by Fahdiga(m): 5:04pm On Oct 19, 2020
360degreess:
...So you believe that evil organization called "Amnesty international"?
For you to say Buhari should resign, I think you need to go for mental check up. A democratically elected president?. Wake up from your slumber.
Buhari till 2023.
you need help
Re: Update!.15 Protesters, Two Policemen Killed -Amnesty Report by richiemcgold: 5:12pm On Oct 19, 2020
this government still don't know it's too dangerous to undermine the power of resilient youths.

(1) (Reply)

#endsars - List Of Properties Destroyed By #endsars Protestors. / Why PMB Should Not Grant The Request Of South-south Governors On NDDC. (photo) / Why I Apply Carrot And Stick Approach On Security Issues — Zulum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.