Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,836 members, 7,956,155 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 05:57 AM

Sorosoke And The Comb That Spoke To Our Parents - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sorosoke And The Comb That Spoke To Our Parents (302 Views)

Oyebanji: Tinubu Spoke To Me Everyday Until Abducted Pupils Were Released / Military, DSS, Others Comb Hotspots In FCT, Nab Terrorists, Informants / I Just Spoke To My Uncle In Aba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sorosoke And The Comb That Spoke To Our Parents by Depressed101: 5:29pm On Oct 19, 2020
What is SoroSoke?

Soro Soke is a Yoruba phrase which translates to “Speak louder.”
Now come to mean to "speak up".

This phrase has come to mean “Don’t be silent” or “Don’t sit on the fence.”

The Origin of SoroSoke?

Some say it became a slogan when a governor came out to speak to #ENDSARS protesters and he was talking in a low tone so a certain angry youth shouted at him to: “Soro Soke! Werey!” – literally translating to “Speak louder, madman!”

Other accounts say the phrase became popularized when a young lady wore a t-shirt with "SoroSoke Weyrey" boldly written on it to one of the protest venue in Alausa, lagos.

Either way it has become the slogan of the oppressed and it has sold.

A quick check reveals that the phrase are no longer available on top level domain names.

SoroSoke.com gone
SoroSoke.net gone
SoroSoke.org gone too

In other news ;
The iconic Hair Comb that every Nigerian is used to, especially our parents has become a symbol of speaking up, a symbol of SoroSoke.

Trends going on right now says this comb has always spoken to our parents, but they sure never listened, However the youth listened and they are taking it by the horn.

Lalasticlala

Re: Sorosoke And The Comb That Spoke To Our Parents by Nobody: 5:34pm On Oct 19, 2020
Arrrrrrrh

Soro soke - Yoruba

Kafada - Hausa

Igbo?? Help?

1 Like

Re: Sorosoke And The Comb That Spoke To Our Parents by sammysmiles(m): 6:06pm On Oct 19, 2020
undecided

(1) (Reply)

London Protest With Burna Boy, All Massive! / [video] I Called Buhari Twice, He Wasn’t Available, Says Sanwo-olu / Lagos Leaders Must Chart A New Cause

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.