Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,964 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:10 AM

TECHNOLOGY REVOLUTION :futuristic Phones - Technology Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / TECHNOLOGY REVOLUTION :futuristic Phones (253 Views)

Fawehinmi:new Technology Revolution The Best Way To Support Agriculture Outputs / 5 Futuristic Must Have Toys For Every Kid / Microsoft Hololens: Offer Futuristic New Technology To Your Businesses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

TECHNOLOGY REVOLUTION :futuristic Phones by Sparkyflux(m): 1:52am On Oct 20, 2020
TECHNOLOGY REVOLUTION :futuristic phones

Why Do So Many SF Shows Depict Future Phones As Being Transparent?
What Benefits Would That Provide?
That’s a darn good question.
TECHNOLOGY REVOLUTION
Obviously, it looks cool. But other than the AR angle others have mentioned,
I think it’s a hell of a lot more trouble than it’s worth.
Don’t believe me?

(Iron Man 2)
Ok, first of all, who holds a phone like this!?
If you aren’t shooting video for discerning people who know that portrait mode is evil,
this is a good way to get sick of your phone very rapidly. Or drop it.
The point is that about half of what you’re going to be looking at through your transparent phone is… your hand.

(The Verge/Polytron)
I suppose you can always bone up on your palmistry.
But still, look how cool the other half of the phone looks.
That’s enough to make it worthwhile, right? Well, yeah, if you want to sacrifice your cameras.
Yes, cameras plural.
If you haven’t noticed, most flagship phones have multiple cameras —they’ll have a wide-angle cam, a macro lens for close-ups,
and maybe a low-light or zoom lens, along with light-sensor and sometimes a laser rangefinder.
While I can just about fathom the techno-wizardry involved in making a transparent display and perhaps even transparent battery
, I’m pretty sure cameras need to, you know, do their light-bendy-catchy thing.
Before you get too sad about not having a Starkfone,
let me soothe your troubled mind.
You can test for yourself whether transparent interfaces are something you want to actually use.
See, back when I had more free time on my hands,
I used Debian Linux as my desktop operating system.
Linux is endlessly customizable,
with numerous window managers (essentially the thing that draws application windows on your screen)
each with their own set of effects and themes.
I spent way too much time tweaking the window decoration.
I decided to try out a futuristic transparent look, something like this

TECHNOLOGY REVOLUTION :futuristic phones
You can start to see the problem already.
Even when it omits windows in the background to eliminate clutter,
any interesting wallpaper is going to make things difficult to read no matter what color your text is.
Dark text over a dark part, light text over a light part, both don’t work.
So now you’re left using a boring single-color wallpaper so you can get anything done.
And, wait, so I can’t see other windows through this one,
and I’m staring at a solid blank background…uh, what was the point of this again?
Of course, you can add tints and blurs and get something more usable:

But now you aren’t really talking about transparent anymore.
TECHNOLOGY REVOLUTION
More like “translucent-ish”.
And that may be enough to justify it, for relatively consequence-free interface-pimping.
But how would you that translate to a phone?
I mean, if your phone looks like a piece of frosted glass that’s half hand-colored, that’s still… kinda cool…
But is it useful? It’s now useless as an AR gadget, and it’s still harder to read in bright light.
And now it’s not so noticeably transparent and… futiristicky.
Me, I’d rather hold out for flexible phones.
Not only can you fit a bigger screen in your pocket,
but you can tell loud-talking-elevator-douche to roll up his phone and stuff it where the sun don’t shine.
The prototype isn’t completely transparent as the batteries,

a small SIM card and the power switch are still visible but apart from that the Smartphone is completely see-through.

The translucent concept currently runs no operating system

(it’s just hardware so far) but it does have a dual-sided, multi-touch display screen.

Technology revolution . this is gonna be transparent world.
Everyone wins!
Please like , comment and share your views.

From www.sparkyflux.com

(1) (Reply)

Us Mint HP Probook 450 G6 Core I7 8th Gen Back Lit/finger Print 8gb/256gb #260k / This Laptop Is Still Up For 40k / Uk Used Iphone 8 Plus 64GB Available For N140,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.