Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,223 members, 7,818,764 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:12 AM

Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed (28793 Views)

Weeds Overtake Rashidi Yekini’s House (Photos) / Rashidi Yekini: Forgotten In Nigeria, Remembered In Portugal (PHOTO) / Photos: Man Runs Mad, Goes Unclad After Winning N1m In Sportbet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by EmekaJs(m): 10:29am On Mar 09, 2011
Story by City People Magazine

In case you have not heard, one of Africa's greatest footballers, Rashidi Yekini, 47, is allegedly in dire straits as regards his sanity. The two-time African footballer of the year now walks the streets of Ibadan barefooted, a development that has shocked many people who knew him from his active playing days. Rashidi is said to suffer delusions, a neurological illness which hinges on belief that is pathological and held, despite evidence to the contrary.

Neighbours at his Oni and Sons Ring Road residence in Ibadan say he's been acting strange for some time now, always seen talking to himself. Sources say sometime late last year, Yekini, in the full glare of neighbours, brought out his belongings and allegedly set it on fire.

Yekini lives alone in his house, has a few tenants and rarely gets visitors. Since his marriage crashed in 1994, he hasn't remarried but has two children who visit him on holidays.

Friends and some of his ex-team mates worried about his mental instability are trying to get him help.

Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by dominique(f): 11:07am On Mar 09, 2011
Doesn't have any close friends or family members? No one seems to be seeking for help on his behalf. Hope he gets the help he needs sad

1 Like

Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by Nobody: 12:58pm On Mar 09, 2011
i no believe dis tori. This is malicious unnecessary gossip. Infact, i dom comot hia
Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by Ayoobscom(m): 12:59pm On Mar 09, 2011
something should be done urgently-i belief Nigerian haven't forgot his tallent and his great goals debut,

A great star like Rashidi should not be left picking paper on the street--This is a national sickness and the people should respond

1 Like

Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by Cuteobi(f): 1:01pm On Mar 09, 2011
Did family desert him too?dats sad.hope he gets d help he needs
Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by tosinaded(m): 1:03pm On Mar 09, 2011
where is the link? where the prrof? why is this on the front page? ridiculous
Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by sayso: 1:03pm On Mar 09, 2011
robish lie lie
Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by omo9ja1(m): 1:04pm On Mar 09, 2011
I know good people of Nigeria will come to help Yekini
Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by ifyalways(f): 1:05pm On Mar 09, 2011
Where are the people who were with him when the going was good,family,friends  undecided
City people is a soft sell magazine,their news shld be taken with a pinch of salt.
Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by evilspirit: 1:10pm On Mar 09, 2011
old story
Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by aieromon(m): 1:15pm On Mar 09, 2011
People should get off RY's case.The guy is simply an introvert and devout Muslim who doesn't like to hang out with people except he's giving out alms to the less privileged.
Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by bisiaet: 1:41pm On Mar 09, 2011
I sincerely appeal to anybody in Nigeria who could help this guy should just do so let us not just be looking at him. He definately needs help I sincerely feel so sorry for his situation I think whatever needs to be done should be done to just bail him out of this situation he find himself. God bless
Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by pss: 1:44pm On Mar 09, 2011
Financial education is very important.
Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by 2864: 2:24pm On Mar 09, 2011
Somebody told me this 8 years ago, I refused to believe. /, Getting married to a daughter of a strong babalawo, getting famous through that, the crash came with the divorce. Please Yekini, Enough is enough, take this girl, sorry woman back, at least you will be forgiven.

A lesson to those who dine with the devil for a cause.

Yoruba babalawo strong oooooooooooooooooooo

I remain 2864
Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by 3kay945(m): 2:32pm On Mar 09, 2011
una govt no see ma naa, yeye country
Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by Vinazo: 2:33pm On Mar 09, 2011
This is a worl of fantancies!
Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by 3kay945(m): 2:38pm On Mar 09, 2011
una govt no see ma naa, yeye country
Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by vislabraye(m): 2:40pm On Mar 09, 2011
It's sad what happens to ex footballers. I hope members of the super eagles can come to his aid, The okochas , Finidi, Taribo tec who are still doing well.
Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by OAM4J: 2:41pm On Mar 09, 2011
Where is the picture/video showing him walking bare footed?

Dont believe it, how many people believe city people magazine anyway?
Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by Olumogun: 2:57pm On Mar 09, 2011
Until there is a full confirmation of this story, no comment.
Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by snowdrops(m): 3:01pm On Mar 09, 2011
Firstly a story by city people should always be treated with a pinch of salt. Secondly if the article is valid then the NFF and the federal government at least for his achievements. For those too young to remember this guy was a legend in his prime and scored nigeria's first world cup goal.
Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by Blazing99: 3:03pm On Mar 09, 2011
Please let someone come to his aid. This is Nigeria's greatest striker going mental and it is really disturbing. God help him
Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by bisiaet: 3:16pm On Mar 09, 2011
Somebody told me this 8 years ago,  I refused to believe. /, Getting married to a daughter of a strong babalawo,  getting famous through that, the crash came with the divorce. Please Yekini, Enough is enough, take this girl, sorry woman back, at least you will be forgiven

But if this is truth let his family and his friend go and apologise to the lady and her father because when issue get to this point all possible solution is needed to solve it before he finally become impossible to resolve not that I belief this story but all I just want is that Yekini must not go down like this.
Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by ENERGY21: 3:34pm On Mar 09, 2011
My best 9ja rap master in person of M.I don already talk am say CITY PEOPLE WRITES AND CITY POEPLE READ.

so dis topic na absolute NONSENCE, if na true y no radio or telefison talk am, dis is an insult on my legendry

rashidi yekini aka mr tear net. angry
Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by Akolawole(m): 3:45pm On Mar 09, 2011
Nonsense!

Yeking is the last Nigeria footballer that could ever be penniless.
Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by becky4real(f): 4:02pm On Mar 09, 2011
sorry, but do i really believe this story? undecided
Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by Righton: 4:11pm On Mar 09, 2011
Suppose it is true, that would be very sad indeed.
Is there anything we can do for him? The guy was dedicated. He never failed to turn up for matches.
Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by eghost247(m): 4:14pm On Mar 09, 2011
Hope This Story isnt true
Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by ObamaUS: 4:17pm On Mar 09, 2011
go sell to nollywood
Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by Doctore(m): 4:18pm On Mar 09, 2011
I'll personally go to his neighbourhood to confirm this claims and get back to you all, shikina!
Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by nanidee(f): 4:20pm On Mar 09, 2011
I found it really strange to have seen this make headlines on city people.

IMHO, i doubt city people would concoct a story this puzzling. Im sure there has to be some truth to this story, because, i believe these media houses ought to know what is in store for them on writing false stories to disseminate to the public.

And I really hope his case isnt as bad as reported. SMH

1 Like

Re: Legendary Footballer Rashidi Yekini Runs Mad, Roams Street Bare Footed by eros(m): 4:38pm On Mar 09, 2011
This is not good news if there is any element of truth to it.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Donnarumma Joins PSG On Five-year Deal / Lady Wants To Give Birth To A "Neymar". Gives Step By Step Description / Lionel Messi scores his 600th goal for Barcelona (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.