Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,955 members, 7,810,644 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:39 PM

Extortion On Our Highways Is Reportedly Going On By Security Personnel - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Extortion On Our Highways Is Reportedly Going On By Security Personnel (595 Views)

Okorocha's Aide Shot By Uzodinma's Security Personnel (Graphic Photo) / Foodstuff Dealers Accuse Police Of Extortion On Highways During Lockdown / Election "Distraction" Reportedly Going On In A Unit In Rivers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Extortion On Our Highways Is Reportedly Going On By Security Personnel by TruthinAction: 9:52am On Oct 24, 2020
We know that corruption is in every sector of the economy. But for security personnel to still be extorting money at this point in time is very disappointing. The IG of police and security Chiefs should please call their men on the highways in order. Commercial bus drivers said they are collecting N500 per check point. This has hiked transport fares and slow down journey. Lagos to Port Harcourt now takes two days. We don't need this at this point in time. They are making life more bitter to the already depressed and oppressed citizens of Nigerians. #saynotocorruption.
Re: Extortion On Our Highways Is Reportedly Going On By Security Personnel by AsabaPropertyAg(m): 11:40am On Oct 24, 2020
Opp, please check your MESSAGE very well before you post, I came back from Lagos to Asaba yesterday 23/10/2020 from Maza Maza park, we left Maza Maza exactly 09:42 AM.

I am here to state that we did not see any police checking point and no policeman on the road till I dropped in Asaba but we saw the Nigerian Army in about 3 or 4 places I think within border communities and they did not collect any money from our driver, we had little issue in Agbor within the border community, we passed through bush part to avoid queuing at the border between Edo and Delta states and paid the area boys that blocked many spots then when we came out to the express we saw some commercial buses turning because of Army Lorry pursuing them and we did not know that there was no movement in Delta state then we ran into one compound and some of us ran into a man`s Sitting room and bedroom and the man locked his burglary with padlock and the wife took the key and went out and the Army came and asked why are we running and they collected all the bus keys and left, we spent about 2 and half hours before they gave us our keys to continue our journey to Onicha Ugbo and to Asaba through agbor town and Umunede town or village. We encountered about 25 -30 road blocks by touts starting before Oshodi till lagos toll gate and then one road in Ogun State and one again in Ondo State and we paid money ranging from #100-#500 from Lagos to Ondo.
Conclusion, there was no police checking points on the road and there was no police patrol van on the road, I don't know where police collected money on the road.

1 Like

Re: Extortion On Our Highways Is Reportedly Going On By Security Personnel by TruthinAction: 11:46am On Oct 24, 2020
AsabaPropertyAg:
Opp, please check your MESSAGE very well before you post, I came back from Lagos to Asaba yesterday 23/10/2020 from Maza Maza park, we left Maza Maza exactly 09:42 AM.

I am here to start that we did not see any police checking point and no policeman on the road till I dropped in Asaba but we saw the Nigerian Army in about 3 or 4 places I think within border communities and they did not collect any money from our driver, we had little issue in Agbor within the border community, we passed through bush part to avoid queuing at the border between Edo and Delta states and paid the area boys that blocked many spots then when we came out to the express we saw some commercial buses turning because of Army Lorry pursuing them and we did not know that there was no movement in Delta state then we ran into one compound and some of us ran into a man`s Sitting room and bedroom and the man locked his burglary with padlock and wife took the key and went out and the Army came and asked why are we running and they collected all the bus keys and left, we spent about 2 and half hours before they gave us our keys to continue our journey to Onicha Ugbo and to Asaba through agbor town and Umunede town or village. We encountered about 25 -30 road blocks by touts starting before Oshodi till lagos toll gate and then one road in Ogun State and one again in Ondo State and we paid money ranging from #100-#500 from Lagos to Ondo.
Conclusion, there was no police checking points on the road and there was no police patrol van on the road, I don't know where police collected money on the road.

I used the word security personnel but the report read they were actually soldiers and it's happening from the exit of Port Harcourt to other states. And the drivers were heard on audio recording this morning on a radio station that they are paying N500.
Re: Extortion On Our Highways Is Reportedly Going On By Security Personnel by Throwback: 12:05pm On Oct 24, 2020
TruthinAction:

I used the word security personnel but the report read they were actually soldiers and it's happening from the exit of Port Harcourt to other states. And the drivers were heard on audio recording this morning on a radio station that they are paying N500.

I hope the police IG is not sleeping, same for the Army top brass.

Until another protest start, then they begin to promise heaven on Earth, and become alive to their responsibilities.

2 Likes

Re: Extortion On Our Highways Is Reportedly Going On By Security Personnel by SalamRushdie: 12:13pm On Oct 24, 2020
Accept it Nigeria is rotten from head to toe , weren't youths also extorting road users during the endsars protest ? All of you are the same no difference ..It's from among U police are recruited not from Mars so stop disturbing our ears ...If you join police today you will still do the same , I am sure even in your office without gun you still find a way to extort people... I am done hoping for the people of Nigeria ..Y'all all and the 10 and 10 pence

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Extortion On Our Highways Is Reportedly Going On By Security Personnel by seborrhic: 12:19pm On Oct 24, 2020
AsabaPropertyAg:

I am here to state that we did not see any police checking point and no policeman on the road till I dropped in Asaba but we saw the Nigerian Army in about 3 or 4 places I think within border communities and they did not collect any money from our driver, we had little issue in Agbor within the border community, we passed through bush part to avoid queuing at the border between Edo and Delta states and paid the area boys that blocked many spots then when we came out to the express we saw some commercial buses turning because of Army Lorry pursuing them and we did not know that there was no movement in Delta state then we ran into one compound and some of us ran into a man`s Sitting room and bedroom and the man locked his burglary with padlock and the wife took the key and went out and the Army came and asked why are we running and they collected all the bus keys and left, we spent about 2 and half hours before they gave us our keys to continue our journey to Onicha Ugbo and to Asaba through agbor town and Umunede town or village. We encountered about 25 -30 road blocks by touts starting before Oshodi till lagos toll gate and then one road in Ogun State and one again in Ondo State and we paid money ranging from #100-#500 from Lagos to Ondo.
Even yesterday in many parts of Lagos,from afternoon time,boys that mounted roadblocks at many points had left.The roads were free in Lagos as at yesterday,maybe not all parts though.
I am sure by today some commercial activities have resumed fully and the roads almost returning to normal.
Even some fuel stations have reopened for business.
Police checkpoints have not even been in existence for a good number of days.
Re: Extortion On Our Highways Is Reportedly Going On By Security Personnel by nazicartel(m): 12:26pm On Oct 24, 2020
Police men in the Eastern zone are very peaceful now, very calm...
Re: Extortion On Our Highways Is Reportedly Going On By Security Personnel by blacknp(m): 12:40pm On Oct 24, 2020
SalamRushdie:
Accept it Nigeria is rotten from head to toe , weren't youths also extorting road users during the endsars protest ? All of you are the same no difference ..It's from among U police are recruited not from Mars so stop disturbing our ears ...If you join police today you will still do the same , I am sure even in your office without gun you still find a way to extort people... I am done hoping for the people of Nigeria ..Y'all all and the 10 and 10 pence
Fela said authority stealing pass armed robbery, you are correct give them police uniform, it will bring out the beast in the Hypocrites.

1 Like

Re: Extortion On Our Highways Is Reportedly Going On By Security Personnel by Throwback: 12:41pm On Oct 24, 2020
SalamRushdie:

I concur that a lot of people working without guns are also extorting fellow Nigerians in their own stations of authority.

It is a Nigerian disease but it is curable by prompt, ruthless, and merciless reaction to such complaints when made with evidence.
Re: Extortion On Our Highways Is Reportedly Going On By Security Personnel by SenecaTheYonger: 12:51pm On Oct 24, 2020
AsabaPropertyAg:

I honestly hate people like you. You’re the type that won’t believe James Nwafor survivor unless you have been in the cell before. There’s literally reports of SARS in Lagos with their unregistered vehicle. The thing has not ended. Are you ominipresent on every Nigeria road 24/7? Your experience is universal.
Re: Extortion On Our Highways Is Reportedly Going On By Security Personnel by TruthinAction: 4:04pm On Oct 24, 2020
My information is from an early morning news read from a reputable radio station in Nigeria but it is happening in Port Harcourt routes that leads to other states. Even the drivers spoke on air. They should please stop this nonsense at this point in time.

(1) (Reply)

Discovery Of Hidden Camera: Lagos Judicial Panel May Summon Fashola / Bishop Ezeokafor warns Nigerian Government Of Impending Doom / Buhari Is Not Trump

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.