Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,035 members, 7,953,109 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:54 AM

Fasting! - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Fasting! (1220 Views)

Medical Advice On Fasting. I Pray It Helps. / Any News On when we are to start Fasting? / What Time Do We Start And End Fasting In Ramadan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fasting! by Lady2(f): 9:06pm On Mar 09, 2011
Hello all,

I heard from a Muslim friend the requirements for fasting during Ramadan. She said that as long as you eat by 6am you're fine. Basically you can wake up really early, eat before 6am and then fast throughout the day until about 6pm when you break the fast. Is this true?

I am asking because today is Ash wednesday, the beginning of Lent the fasting period for Catholics, Orthodox Christians started on Monday. I learnt about the requirements for Orthodox Christians and it's so strict. I wanted to learn about that for muslims.

Care to share? Thanks.
Re: Fasting! by Sweetnecta: 10:23pm On Mar 09, 2011
^^^^The latest time a muslim fasting can eat to begin the fast is just before the time that begins the 'dawn'. dawn begins long time before the sun begins to rise. in florida during the summer months, dawn can begin say 3.00 am. or even earlier.

the fast ends when the sun just set. this is immediately after the 'setting' time of the sun. in winter time its about 4 pm and change. northern territory of canada will have an earlier sunset time than florida, during winter, while it will have a later sunset time during summer.

inshort muslims fast not from 6 to 6 per se. but from that time just before 'dawn' to just after 'sunset'. the 6 to 6 may have occurred just once in a particular year in 33 years or in a particular location of the world. the correct time for muslim fast is always before dawn,ending just the moment is set in your particular location.
Re: Fasting! by miftaudeen(m): 10:45pm On Mar 09, 2011
you are right sweetnecta,intention is neccessary i.e you must ve it in mind dat you wanna fast b4 you sleep.
Re: Fasting! by Jarus(m): 7:44am On Mar 10, 2011
Sweetnecta has said it all, but to localize it, 'just before dawn' normally hovers between 5am to 5.25am in Nigeria and average time for 'just after sunset' is between 6.20pm, especially in core north at certain period, with 7.15pm, as upper range, usually in the South at certain times. So it's not exactly fixed as 6-6 as your friend told u, but the key rule is 'just before dawn' to 'just after sunset'and that depends on region and time of the year.
Re: Fasting! by Lady2(f): 5:41am On Mar 11, 2011
hmm thanks guys. I feel like we Catholics are being cheated *lol not really*

We only get one meal a day, in the U.S. we are allowed two very small meals but they must not equal one full meal. So basically you eat an apple for breakfast, a carrot for lunch, and then a full meal for dinner, lol.

Thanks a bunch.

(1) (Reply)

Wahhabis/Salafists Set Ablaze Burial Site Of Another Companion in Jordan / Nigeria Wins Top Price For Quran Competition In Dubai / Stoning At Jamarat Is Not Stoning Shaytaan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.