Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,744 members, 7,820,569 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:18 PM

Getting A Master's Degree In A Different Field In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Getting A Master's Degree In A Different Field In Nigeria (1407 Views)

See Condemn Iron Picker Who Has A Master's Degree (Pics) / Pastor Adeyemi's Daughter Graduates With Masters Degree In Law In US / When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Getting A Master's Degree In A Different Field In Nigeria by Babtunz: 1:24am On Oct 25, 2020
Hello everyone,

Due to some mistakes made by me sometime ago I have been trying hard to look for solutions to my predicament, so here goes my question (or my problem).

Is it possible to obtain a Master's degree in a different field of study in Nigeria?
I'm currently in pursuit of my bachelor's degree in B.Agric ---- now in 200lv.

I am thinking and need to know if it's possible to obtain a master's degree in Computer Science in Nigeria. I have checked online that it's possible in some international schools but I don't know of here.

I need answers whether it is possible or not.

Thanks for your contribution.
Re: Getting A Master's Degree In A Different Field In Nigeria by VickyRotex(f): 1:40am On Oct 25, 2020
Why not switch to BSc Computer Science now? Rather than waiting until MSc. Or is that what you meant by you've been trying hard?

I personally don't know how feasible that is (to change from B.Agric to MSc Computer Science). If it was MBA, I'd understand, and that most times requires experience to be eligible.

If switching to MSc directly doesn't work, all hope isn't lost, you can always go for Advanced diploma programs in IT and move your way up.

I'll let others opine. Good luck!
Re: Getting A Master's Degree In A Different Field In Nigeria by Babtunz: 8:09am On Oct 25, 2020
VickyRotex:
Why not switch to BSc Computer Science now? Rather than waiting until MSc. Or is that what you meant by you've been trying hard?

I personally don't know how feasible that is (to change from B.Agric to MSc Computer Science). If it was MBA, I'd understand, and that most times requires experience to be eligible.

If switching to MSc directly doesn't work, all hope isn't lost, you can always go for Advanced diploma programs in IT and move your way up.

I'll let others opine. Good luck!

Hello! Thanks for your input and advice, I really appreciate.

Switching from my current course now to CS is so difficult and challenging ---- I have asked some other senior students and they said it's so hard and I have a slim chance of making it because I need to write multiple exams and redo some courses in the CS department simultaneously while in my other department and also I need at least a CGPA of 4.0 out of a 5.0 scale (I'm currently on 3.8 ).

And I have been told that getting my HOD's consent to allow me leave my department can be blood-sapping

But I'd try my luck when school resumes.

Thanks once again!

1 Like

Re: Getting A Master's Degree In A Different Field In Nigeria by sageb: 2:37pm On Oct 25, 2020
Babtunz:

Switching from my current course now to CS is so difficult and challenging ---- I have asked some other senior students and they said it's so hard and I have a slim chance of making it because I need to write multiple exams and redo some courses in the CS department simultaneously while in my other department and also I need at least a CGPA of 4.0 out of a 5.0 scale (I'm currently on 3.8 ).

And I have been told that getting my HOD's consent to allow me leave my department can be blood-sapping

Thanks once again!
hello, what are you looking for? Is it practical knowledge in ICT or just a degree in CS? Your answer will be a guide for me to advice you.
Re: Getting A Master's Degree In A Different Field In Nigeria by Babtunz: 7:51pm On Oct 25, 2020
sageb:
hello, what are you looking for? Is it practical knowledge in ICT or just a degree in CS? Your answer will be a guide for me to advice you.

Hi there! Thanks for reaching out.
I'm confident of my ICT skills and getting a CS degree is the issue because I have opportunities to explore and they require a CS degree (at least to get a higher chance of success).
Re: Getting A Master's Degree In A Different Field In Nigeria by VickyRotex(f): 1:49am On Oct 26, 2020
Babtunz:

Thanks once again!

Hi,

My pleasure.

Sorry to hear about the challenges you're encountering in trying to switch programs. I still think you have a good chance to switch before the completion of your program. Especially since you mentioned in one of your comments that you have the skills already and only need a certificate to ice it.

I'd say you try your luck, and hopefully things work out for the best.

Cheers!
Re: Getting A Master's Degree In A Different Field In Nigeria by TrippleEEE: 10:30am On Oct 26, 2020
You can always do a post graduate diploma.
Re: Getting A Master's Degree In A Different Field In Nigeria by sageb: 8:20pm On Oct 27, 2020
Babtunz:

Hi there! Thanks for reaching out.
I'm confident of my ICT skills and getting a CS degree is the issue because I have opportunities to explore and they require a CS degree (at least to get a higher chance of success).
not a bad idea though. But your dept. Would not want you to leave because you are doing well in the course unlike a case whereby you can't meet up the minimum grade for you to stay in the dept.
Re: Getting A Master's Degree In A Different Field In Nigeria by Babtunz: 7:42am On Oct 28, 2020
VickyRotex:

Hi,

My pleasure.

Sorry to hear about the challenges you're encountering in trying to switch programs. I still think you have a good chance to switch before the completion of your program. Especially since you mentioned in one of your comments that you have the skills already and only need a certificate to ice it.

I'd say you try your luck, and hopefully things work out for the best.

Cheers!

I so much appreciate your comments and advice, thank you!

1 Like

Re: Getting A Master's Degree In A Different Field In Nigeria by Babtunz: 7:44am On Oct 28, 2020
sageb:
not a bad idea though. But your dept. Would not want you to leave because you are doing well in the course unlike a case whereby you can't meet up the minimum grade for you to stay in the dept.

Exactly.

Nevertheless, I will still make an attempt. Luck might be in terms with me.

Thanks for your input!
Re: Getting A Master's Degree In A Different Field In Nigeria by LucaB: 11:48am On Oct 28, 2020
Babtunz:
Hello everyone,

Due to some mistakes made by me sometime ago I have been trying hard to look for solutions to my predicament, so here goes my question (or my problem).

Is it possible to obtain a Master's degree in a different field of study in Nigeria?
I'm currently in pursuit of my bachelor's degree in B.Agric ---- now in 200lv.

I am thinking and need to know if it's possible to obtain a master's degree in Computer Science in Nigeria. I have checked online that it's possible in some international schools but I don't know of here.

I need answers whether it is possible or not.

Thanks for your contribution.

why not consider national open university,I'm also in similar boat too

(1) (Reply)

Mothers Buys House For Son On His 6th Birthday (Photos) / Update On ASUU Strike. / Lautech Pre-degree Info:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.