|Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,135,260 members, 7,750,486 topics. Date: Wednesday, 28 February 2024 at 03:23 AM
|Obaseki Calling Prisoners Back Is Biblical, Reasons Christians should support by Chukwutobi: 10:25am On Oct 25, 2020
One of the issues making rounds for almost 2 weeks now following the #EndSARS protest is the recall of prisoners by Gov. Obaseki of Edo State. News as confirmed by the governor showed that prisoners have escaped from 2 correctional centers in the state and he’s therefore recalled the prisoners to “return or face the full wrath of the Law”. While a lot of persons sees this as an impossible ask given the fact that most prisoners would rather remain fugitive than return to the correctional centers, some have also made fun of the governor for even having to think this way.
Emotionally, after hearing from some of the escapees, some were joyful for the escapees who have gained ‘freedom’ and some supposedly Christians are beginning to be joyful that the prisoners must have enjoyed the similar grace peter, Paul and Silas enjoyed. It is pertinent to note that God guides our ways with His word and as believers, we must begin to allow our hearts and actions be led by the HolySpirit and not mere emotions.
First of all, even if the prison doors are opened, are Christians meant to run away? A careful study of the story of Paul and Silas as documented in Acts 16:16-40 showed us that:
- Paul and Silas got divine intervention that brought them and other prisoners to freedom.
- Paul and Silas did not run away nor allowed other prisoners to do the same. This action saved the life of the warder who wanted to kill himself
after seeing that the prison was empty.
- The Warder did not set Paul and Silas free. It was the magistrate that did implying they waited for the court to set them free despite gaining freedom the previous night.
Secondly, even if Angels mysteriously delivers one from prison as in the case of Peter:
- Herod still ordered soldiers to search for him.
- Herod killed the soldiers who were on guard the night he escaped.
- God settled the case himself by killing Herod after he started acting like a god.
It’s important for us to further note that Paul and Silas were jailed for a reason the magistrate found justifiable – “keep the city from uproar” while Peter was jailed for no reason other than for the sake of the gospel. We as Christians must support therefore support the government by encouraging prisoners to return and not make fun of it because:
- A lot of escapees are real criminals who were trialed and jailed for cases of murder, raping, armed robbery and all sorts. These persons escaping
bring more danger to our insecure community.
- Failure to return will lead to some innocent persons been arrested wrongly due to identity issues and poor record keeping in the country.
- It’s the law and lawlessness is a sin.
God bless you.
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9