Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,203 members, 7,818,674 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:37 PM

Arsenal Lose At Home To Leicester For The First Time In The EPL As Vardy Scores - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Arsenal Lose At Home To Leicester For The First Time In The EPL As Vardy Scores (13772 Views)

Fans Boo Emery After Arsenal Lose At Home To Eintracht Frankfurt / VAR Ruled Out First Goal In History Of EPL As Man City Hammered West Ham 5-0 / Arsenal Lose £210m In Four Years Thanks To Poor Transfer Dealings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arsenal Lose At Home To Leicester For The First Time In The EPL As Vardy Scores by ogbiwa: 9:12am On Oct 26, 2020
Jamie Vardy came off the bench to score a customary goal against Arsenal and send Leicester to within a point of the Premier League summit with a first win at the Gunners' home since 1973.

Vardy, 33, had missed two games with a calf injury but was reintroduced after a largely sterile opening hour at Emirates Stadium and promptly ended a 262-minute Leicester goal drought in the league.

The former England international headed home fellow substitute Cengiz Under's smart pass to bring up a remarkable 11th Premier League goal against Arsenal in 12 appearances. Only Wayne Rooney, with 12, has more goals.

Until Vardy's arrival Leicester had barely threatened but they have now won their opening three away league games for the first time.

Arsenal were disappointing and, despite dominating possession and having 12 shots on goal, never looked like seriously testing Leicester goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel as they slipped to a first home league defeat of 2020.

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta criticised the decision to disallow an Alexandre Lacazette header for offside early in the first half.

"I'm really disappointed. We had it in our hands in the first half and I don't know how the hell the goal was disallowed.

"They caught us with space at the back and in that moment we lost the game."

The scourge of Arsenal
Four summers ago Arsenal tried to prise Vardy away from Leicester and he continues to pile on the regret with every game.

He had only 11 touches after replacing Dennis Praet, but still scored the winner and was only denied a second by the head of Bernd Leno as he raced through on goal late on.

Leicester lined up with no forward at all in his absence, with winger Harvey Barnes nominally playing up front, and their lack of cutting edge meant James Maddison had all four of their efforts, all from outside the area, before number nine Vardy came on.

Their improvement was as marked as it was predictable with Vardy on the field, and it was no surprise when they grabbed the lead.

Youri Tielemans' excellent pass over the top freed Under, and he squared for the free Vardy to score with a stooping header.

There is no more clinical player in the Premier League. Vardy has scored six goals from just nine shots this season - 20 fewer than Liverpool's Mohamed Salah and one fewer than the champions' full-back Trent Alexander-Arnold.

Last season Leicester capitulated from a position which seemed certain to deliver Champions League football, when they were 14 points ahead of Manchester United at the start of February. Could they seal the deal this time around?

Predictable Gunners firing blanks
Arsenal thought they had scored in the opening minutes when Lacazette headed in from a corner, but Granit Xhaka and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang were both offside.

From that point Arsenal controlled the game for the most part, but, despite Kieran Tierney raiding with intent down the left, they struggled to bust open the organised visitors.

Arsenal had 11 shots in the first half but Schmeichel's only save of note came from the one effort after the break, pushing out a decent volley from Hector Bellerin.

Aubameyang, who has now gone five Premier League games without a goal for the first time, was largely anonymous.

Thomas Partey made a much-vaunted full league debut in midfield but was not alone in failing to shine as Arsenal moved the ball painfully slowly at times.

They have scored only eight goals in six league games this season. They have managed fewer at this stage in one of the previous 20 campaigns, when they scored five goals in 2015-16.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54588008

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arsenal Lose At Home To Leicester For The First Time In The EPL As Vardy Scores by EbukaHades10(m): 2:35pm On Oct 26, 2020
Who finna lose ,finna lose, fam.

All these na okoto yarns

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arsenal Lose At Home To Leicester For The First Time In The EPL As Vardy Scores by Donull30: 4:03pm On Oct 26, 2020
Do you want to learn a high income I.T skills but can't afford the monstrous fee required to enrol for training? Get one of the brand new 500 gigabyte ext. hard drives Pre-loaded with top rated video courses in various in-demand I.T skills.

-Programming
-Web development
-Data Science
-SQL
-Mobile App dev't
-Cybersecurity & Ethical hacking
- DevOps
-Cloud Computing
-UX/UI design
-Your Request(if any)

Several Bestselling & highly rated courses under each section totally thousands of videos. Included are also softwares, hundreds of best-selling ebooks, compilers, hands on projects & professional exams prep guide. Total Volume is over 450gb. What'sapp me (Timothy) on +234 8064-94-329-7 for more details(No risks, it is PAYMENT AFTER DELIVERY)
Re: Arsenal Lose At Home To Leicester For The First Time In The EPL As Vardy Scores by tigoba: 4:03pm On Oct 26, 2020
GunaZ
Re: Arsenal Lose At Home To Leicester For The First Time In The EPL As Vardy Scores by paulolee(m): 4:03pm On Oct 26, 2020
I saw it coming after they trolled Everton for losing to Southampton earlier in d day.
the truth about this arsenal squad is dt they would suffer to win matches if auba is not on form and besides he isn't cr7 or messi that have dt gene of consistency all tru d season, arterta should look for a good plan b whenever auba isn't on form like it's happening right now dt he av gone blanks in their previous matches and also lacazette n oda attackers should step up but dey should jus forget dt clueless pepe bcoz dt gee na scammer..

12 Likes

Re: Arsenal Lose At Home To Leicester For The First Time In The EPL As Vardy Scores by Mutty02: 4:04pm On Oct 26, 2020
E pain me sha

1 Like

Re: Arsenal Lose At Home To Leicester For The First Time In The EPL As Vardy Scores by paxi7: 4:04pm On Oct 26, 2020
I know, i watch the match
Re: Arsenal Lose At Home To Leicester For The First Time In The EPL As Vardy Scores by ILoveDemMANNA: 4:04pm On Oct 26, 2020
Gunners gunners.
Breaking all manners of records on all fronts.
Here is another one cool cool

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Arsenal Lose At Home To Leicester For The First Time In The EPL As Vardy Scores by Dozie32(m): 4:04pm On Oct 26, 2020
Even Enyimba can defeat the so called arsenal.

1 Like

Re: Arsenal Lose At Home To Leicester For The First Time In The EPL As Vardy Scores by paulolee(m): 4:04pm On Oct 26, 2020
Logon59:
Mikel Arteta needs to do something about his team's creativity and FAST. I watched their last 2 EPL games to City and Leicester and I must say I've never seen a more negative minded team in all my years of watching the EPL. Yes he knew he wasn't going to use Ozil, why not pursue relentlessly another creative playmaker to play in the hole? All their competitors have atleast one. Someone that can unlock a defence when it's tight. Chelsea, City, United, Liverpool have Havertz, De bruyne, Fernandes and Thiago respectively. Even Everton went for Rodriguez. But an Arsenal player gets to the opposition box then turns and passes back to his defender, even when losing. It shows a serious lack of creativity. Awful
no lies bro...when I asked gunners fans, they said he is building team play starting back from the defenders like city normally do because he learnt from pep....forgetting dt city av fast and more quality play makers than arsenal...
arterta should get his priorities right because las las na punters like us de suffer am..

2 Likes

Re: Arsenal Lose At Home To Leicester For The First Time In The EPL As Vardy Scores by slawormiir: 4:04pm On Oct 26, 2020
damnnn niggarrrr
Arsenal na club

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arsenal Lose At Home To Leicester For The First Time In The EPL As Vardy Scores by Dromeesi: 4:04pm On Oct 26, 2020
Sell dis team
Re: Arsenal Lose At Home To Leicester For The First Time In The EPL As Vardy Scores by nairavsdollars(f): 4:05pm On Oct 26, 2020
E be like say this Arteta want make them swear for am
Re: Arsenal Lose At Home To Leicester For The First Time In The EPL As Vardy Scores by ghum16: 4:05pm On Oct 26, 2020

E-COMMERCE, BUSINESS, SCHOOL OR CUSTOM WEBSITES
www.nairaland.com/attachments/12575601_yufgugdyu_jpegded1c02d7a3b6922d41db69782072ec4
CLICK HERE TO REACH OUT TO US
Re: Arsenal Lose At Home To Leicester For The First Time In The EPL As Vardy Scores by Chukwutobi: 4:05pm On Oct 26, 2020
Put Ozil, you dey make mouth
Re: Arsenal Lose At Home To Leicester For The First Time In The EPL As Vardy Scores by Nobody: 4:05pm On Oct 26, 2020
The glory days of Assnal are long gone.
Assnal be like Fullam these days.
Re: Arsenal Lose At Home To Leicester For The First Time In The EPL As Vardy Scores by TriCee: 4:06pm On Oct 26, 2020
Ok, it's high time Arteta included Ozil in his line up. He will be very useful, but no, pride won't let him.
Re: Arsenal Lose At Home To Leicester For The First Time In The EPL As Vardy Scores by pafra(m): 4:06pm On Oct 26, 2020
Hello

Nothing special about the team. I don't see them making the top four.

They are to casual on the field of play
Re: Arsenal Lose At Home To Leicester For The First Time In The EPL As Vardy Scores by updatechange(m): 4:07pm On Oct 26, 2020
For real cool
Re: Arsenal Lose At Home To Leicester For The First Time In The EPL As Vardy Scores by Kenneth10110(m): 4:07pm On Oct 26, 2020
Aubameyang has declined in form and Lacazette is just another low class striker.
Re: Arsenal Lose At Home To Leicester For The First Time In The EPL As Vardy Scores by sylve11: 4:08pm On Oct 26, 2020
Na Partey after Partey beating them go soon dey collect. cheesy cool

2 Likes

Re: Arsenal Lose At Home To Leicester For The First Time In The EPL As Vardy Scores by sammysneh(m): 4:08pm On Oct 26, 2020
Arsenal will still qualify for champion league despict the loss

This season all the 20 teams are struggling so the league is still open, Any team can win it this season

2 Likes

Re: Arsenal Lose At Home To Leicester For The First Time In The EPL As Vardy Scores by Nobody: 4:09pm On Oct 26, 2020
v
Re: Arsenal Lose At Home To Leicester For The First Time In The EPL As Vardy Scores by arukwe123(m): 4:09pm On Oct 26, 2020
EbukaHades10:
Who finna lose finna lose, fam.

All these na okoto yarns
are you okay?? undecided

1 Like

Re: Arsenal Lose At Home To Leicester For The First Time In The EPL As Vardy Scores by Tonymegabush1(m): 4:10pm On Oct 26, 2020
Mmmm

What else do they know if not to wound ppl tickets.......

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Morocco, Portugal And Spain To Co-Host 2030 FIFA World Cup / Roger Federer Withdraws From Roland Garros / Ahmad Ahmad Accused Of Sexual Harassment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.