Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,708 members, 7,816,911 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:00 PM

#EndSARS Attacks: There's A Limit To What I Can Do As Aare - Gani Adams - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / #EndSARS Attacks: There's A Limit To What I Can Do As Aare - Gani Adams (245 Views)

Jimi Agbaje To Tinubu: There’s A Limit To Hardship Nigerians Can Endure / Alaafin: Gbajabiamila’s Installation As Aare Baasofin Suspended / Otunba Gbenga Celebrates With Aare Gani Adams And Sells Atiku's Programme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

#EndSARS Attacks: There's A Limit To What I Can Do As Aare - Gani Adams by nairavsdollars(f): 9:36pm On Oct 26, 2020
Iba Gani Adams, the Aare Ona Kakanfo of Yorubaland was a guest on Arise Television on Sunday morning where he spoke on the #EndSARS crisis, the attacks on Lagos and solution to the crisis. TEMIDAYO AKINSUYI who monitored the interview for Daily Independent brings the excerpts:

On the #EndSARS crisis whereby you said Nigeria is a country in perpetual conflict. What informed that statement?

Well, we have to look at the genesis of the grievances of the youths on the #EndSARS protests. When you see some of their demands, they were demanding for a change of the constitution. Don’t forget that the #EndSARS protesters do not have a spokesman to articulate their demands. They have made a lot of sacrifices to make positive changes in Nigeria in order to ensure that we have a country that we can be proud of. After they were attacked on Tuesday by the military, a lot of thing has happened. We realised that our security architecture solely relies on the federal level. The governors do not have the power to respond to any crisis and even the regions are not coordinated in terms of security network. We have been agitating for restructuring as the solution to move Nigeria forward. We can see the situation we are now. If care is not taken and we don’t take lessons from the current developments, the future of Nigeria is bleak. When a crisis like this happens, a good leader is expected to calm the people down and proffer a solution. I have listened to lots of statements that doesn’t suggest a solution to the problem. It is our right as citizens of Nigeria to ensure that we calm our youths, preach peace and at the same time, use that opportunity to suggest a solution to the people in authority. On the #EndSARS issue, a single attack on these youths have generated a lot of interests even in the international community. I believe that if this country is not restructured within the period of two years, the country will result into war. Our crisis did not start from #EndSARS. About 70 percent of North-West states have a lot of security threats from bandits and also from the North East, the issue of Boko Haram and different organisations is the order of the day. Even in the Middle-Belt, about 50 percent of people there are crying over attacks by Fulani herdsmen. The South-West, which has always been a peaceful region in the history of our country, has been witnessing some uncoordinated attacks from criminals on our farms and cities. Lots of kidnappers and ritualists are operating in our region. These are something we have never experienced in the history of our existence.

The crisis has continued to fester, with hoodlums embarking on looting spree. What do you think is the best way to resolve this crisis?

On #EndSARS, if the people in power do not know the implication of what has happened, we that are very close to the commoners have to give them the solution. That was one of the reasons why I said let Nigeria be restructured into regions based on the six geo-political zones as enshrined in the 1999 constitution. The President of Nigeria should lift out the Republic Constitution of 1963. That was the only constitution that our leaders sat down and wrote by themselves without any influence of the colonial masters. We can make use of the contents to solve the problems that we have on ground. There is no doubt that Nigeria cannot move forward without restructuring. If Nigeria did not restructure, I’m afraid Nigeria will break as soon as possible. Some elites do not want to hear this but the truth must be told because the elites who do not believe in restructuring do not know that the crisis of #EndSARS will come. We couldn’t lay our fingers on their leader any anybody coordinating the protesters. What I have realised is that the spirit behind these youths goes beyond human imaginations. There is hunger and anger in the land and most Nigerians are not pleased with the manner our leaders are ruling the country. That was led to the crisis following the attack on the protesters in Lekki last week Tuesday. We have some miscreants looting public and private properties because most of them are not on paid employment. Most of them have been deprived to enjoy the goodwill of the country as citizens. As a person that led the Odua Peoples Congress (OPC), we realised that most of the miscreants who committed these atrocities are not up to the age of 20, and you see them in droves moving to streets and destroying properties.

Some people have been wondering why you have failed to act as the Aare Ona Kakanfo of Yorubaland. What is your response to that?

The pressure on me in the last one week is enormous; both from within and outside the country and I tried to explain to them that there is a limit to what I can do about the internal security challenges. People do not realise that the Aare Ona Kakanfo we have today does not have the backing of the authority. Instead of them to support this traditional position in terms of defence, they are trying to whittle it down and now we are seeing the consequences. All the South-West governors, none has called me that ‘Aare, what can you do about this situation?’ Even if I was not Aare Ona Kakanfo, as someone who headed an organisation in the South-West with a population of about six million (OPC) people, I have a role to play. Even if it has to do with the level of issuing statements, making consultations or appealing to our people, I have a role to play. There was a crisis between the Yorubas and Hausas in Fagba area of Lagos; we successfully managed it so that it does not escalate. That would have been a double crisis to Nigeria if it had escalated. Even though we suffered lot of casualties, we still managed it so that it does not degenerate into a civil war. Also, during this #EndSARS crisis, some people were spreading propaganda that the Igbos were behind the attacks on the properties of a prominent politician in the South-West. We tried to dispel that rumour and told them not to cause a tribal war in Lagos. A good leader should be prepared to weather any storm. I was a delegate to the 2014 national conference and we proffered a lot of solutions aimed at moving the nation forward. We recommended about 664 contents that can move Nigeria forward but I realised that events has already overtaken most of things we recommended. Even if we used that document, it will not solve up to 80 percent of the problems we have now because a lot of things has happened between 2014 and now. The ball is in our court to ensure that we save Nigeria as a country.

https://www.independent.ng/recruitment-into-amotekun-has-been-heavily-politicised-gani-adams/

Re: #EndSARS Attacks: There's A Limit To What I Can Do As Aare - Gani Adams by Baawaa(m): 9:40pm On Oct 26, 2020
Which useless Are,you are nothing but thug

1 Like 1 Share

Re: #EndSARS Attacks: There's A Limit To What I Can Do As Aare - Gani Adams by 360degreess(m): 9:54pm On Oct 26, 2020

(1) (Reply)

If You Burn Factories, Release Prisoners, It Is Anti-investment – Buhari / Why Buhari, PDP Are Keeping Quiet On US Navy SEAL Rescue Of American Citizen / Meet The 9 Nigerians Who Are Contesting For U.S. Elections 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.