Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,420 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:59 PM

Looking At Speed And Power Beyond Chipset And Ram. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Looking At Speed And Power Beyond Chipset And Ram. (530 Views)

Remember Those Days When Making Calls And Looking At The Clock / White Man Who Gave His Phone To A Black Looking At His Phone, Goes Viral / OMG My Glo Network Reads At Speed Of 6500 K/p PHOTOS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Looking At Speed And Power Beyond Chipset And Ram. by Exumal: 7:44pm On Oct 28, 2020
It's not a strange thing that beyond ram and chipset, there are some other factors that contributes to the speed and power (power here refers to graphics power and other power consuming tasks); below are some of these factors.
1. OS optimization.
2. Read and write speeds.
3. Heating management.
4. Ram type/generation.
Let's start trashing them one after the other.

Os Optimization
Have you ever wondered why iPhones are well rated for speed and efficiency? One of the reasons is the OS Optimization. Os interacts with your smartphone's hardware, assigns instructions to the hardwares and also interact within the hardware and installed program. The point is if you have a well designed Os that understands your hardware (smartphone) better and can give instructions better without stressing your hardware much, then speed is ascertained. Hope you've heard about the Harmony Os coming from Huawei? Reports are saying it will be 60% faster than Android, why? It has been designed to be suited for the hardware (in most cases the chipset being the priority). So don't be surprised when you see an Android phone with stock Android performing better than another Android phone with the same or closer related hardware.

Read and Write Speed.
Alot of things affect the read and write speed but this time I will be dwelling on the read and write speed between the chipset, ram and rom inrelation to a particular feature, the emmac or UFS. This is a component that comes with virtually all smartphones. Is serves as a channel between the chip and the rom. Read and write speed are determined by this component. Most flagship phones comes with UFS 3.0 capable of sporting more than 11gb per seconds. Na you see why you phone may slow down while moving large documents in your phone.

Heat Management
I believe this won't strange to gamers who play games on PC. Especially those guys that have for once hooked up with AMD graphics cards will understand better. AMD just like Mediatek are know for heating up. You can argue with me that Snapdragons, Bionic, Kirin and Exynos don't hear up? They all do but to some degree that won't affect the efficiency of the chip. Whenever a chipset heats up it affects the effectiveness of such chip, in most cases the smartphone or PC begins to lag. Let me share you a story, there's this Lenovo t500 laptop with AMD Graphics (if you don't drive it well you won't get the best of the graphics) cockroaches infested it and I had to make use of petrol to flush them out and kill the lest they damage the PC. Unknown to me then fuel damaged the cooling paste. After the whole operation, I played pes 13 on the PC and it heated up within few minutes and went off. The heat was like that pressing iron and electric stove. So, cooling systems play great role in speed and efficiency especially when gaming.

Ram Type/Generation
When checking the memory frequencybof a chipset it's written somehow like this LPDDR3X/LPDDR4X - 1400MHz/1800MHz. The implication of this is that if the chip is paired with the first prototype of Ram, the LPDDR3X the write as read frequency will be 1400MHz and if the other type is used it will scale up to 1800MHz. Lest you forget the Ram hold temporary info, minimized app, background apps and copied data. An example is Umidigi a5 pro and Umidigi A7pro. Both uses the same chipset but have different antutu scores, a5pro scores 90k+ while the A7pro grabs 120k+. While à5pro carried the LPDDRE3X the A7pro carried LPDDR4X.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Looking At Speed And Power Beyond Chipset And Ram. by Sinachi100: 10:08pm On Oct 28, 2020
I love dis
Re: Looking At Speed And Power Beyond Chipset And Ram. by Enigma2049(m): 10:50pm On Oct 28, 2020
Very insightful. Kudos Op
Re: Looking At Speed And Power Beyond Chipset And Ram. by Kunja2: 1:45am On Oct 29, 2020
Very great post. Kudos
Re: Looking At Speed And Power Beyond Chipset And Ram. by SoroSoke(m): 4:43am On Oct 29, 2020
Informative.
Re: Looking At Speed And Power Beyond Chipset And Ram. by chariisGRACE(m): 8:05am On Oct 29, 2020
Good!
Re: Looking At Speed And Power Beyond Chipset And Ram. by DONFRANSKID(m): 11:01am On Oct 29, 2020
[color=#550000][/color] nice one sir
Re: Looking At Speed And Power Beyond Chipset And Ram. by Exumal: 11:05am On Oct 29, 2020
Enigma2049:
Very insightful. Kudos Op
Thanks
Re: Looking At Speed And Power Beyond Chipset And Ram. by Exumal: 11:06am On Oct 29, 2020
Kunja2:
Very great post. Kudos
Thanks
Re: Looking At Speed And Power Beyond Chipset And Ram. by walesho(m): 6:47pm On Oct 29, 2020
Nice my new Google Pixel 4a describes these post

(1) (Reply)

Huawei Nova 8 Pro Price In Nigeria / 15k + Nokia 3.2 Anyone!? / Newpipe Or Vidmate. Which Is Best???.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.