Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:37 AM

How I Almost Went Back To Yahoo! - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How I Almost Went Back To Yahoo! (2589 Views)

Nigerians Went To The Chinese Supermarket In Abuja To Confirm / Why I Went Back To Drive For MOOVE AFRICA / After Reading This Story, You Will Know Anybody Can Fall Prey To Yahoo Boys (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Almost Went Back To Yahoo! by newmoney133: 9:46am On Nov 03, 2020
Can you please comment on this

Olawrites:

Guy, I helped you with your proofreading job in 2019, and you refused to pay me.. This ain't fair. Your reasons are not justifiable and I will never forget it.
Re: How I Almost Went Back To Yahoo! by waywardpikin: 11:12am On Nov 03, 2020
newmoney133:

Can you please comment on this

I hope you are not the same guy, but even if you are, I'm only going to drop this explanation once so that it doesn't seem like I'm hiding something, and then I'll never comment on this non issue again.

I finished my first book and I needed someone to proofread for errors as I was terribly busy with my 9 to 5 at the time. See link to ad thread below:

https://www.nairaland.com/5354440/need-competent-proofreader-editor-critic

Somehow somehow, in the course of my search I ended up giving him the job for 10k. This guy came back in less than a day saying he had finished proofreading a 30,000 word story which seemed very unlikely. I went through just the first few pages and saw a few obvious errors so I sent it back to him to review thoroughly.

He sent it to me again in "record time" that he was finished. Went through it, more and more errors. This is someone that isn't ready to work but will hassle you to pay up for work that he obviously did not or doesn't want to do.

When I insisted he settles down to do the job if he wants to get paid, guess what he did? He took my manuscript and published it on his Amazon dashboard because he felt that's where I wanted to publish it so as he had done that, I wouldn't be able to use the story again. Then he started asking me to pay up or else he wouldn't take it down, kind of like a blackmail.

I left the whole project for him, decided it was best I took the time to do the work by myself, which I did. Sometimes if you want something done right you have to do it yourself.

My suggestion for him is to use the money he has made from selling my book to cover the supposed cost of the "meticulous" job he had done for me.

Sometimes working with Nigerians can be a very terrible experience. Most people don't really want to work but they definitely want to get paid.

Check his comment and look at him saying that my reasons were not justifiable. Well, you be the judge of that.

Either way, my decision stands and I'll like no further comment on this issue so I'm not dragged into unnecessary back-and-forths with unserious people.

6 Likes

Re: How I Almost Went Back To Yahoo! by newmoney133: 12:41pm On Nov 03, 2020
I am not the guy.Trust is becoming a foreign word in Nigerian business world and I feel it is our individual responsibility to change the narrative.Thanks for the explanation..

waywardpikin:

I hope you are not the same guy, but even if you are, I'm only going to drop this explanation once so that it doesn't seem like I'm hiding something, and then I'll never comment on this non issue again.

I finished my first book and I needed someone to proofread for errors as I was terribly busy with my 9 to 5 at the time. See link to ad thread below:

https://www.nairaland.com/5354440/need-competent-proofreader-editor-critic

Somehow somehow, in the course of my search I ended up giving him the job for 10k. This guy came back in less than a day saying he had finished proofreading a 30,000 word story which seemed very unlikely. I went through just the first few pages and saw a few obvious errors so I sent it back to him to review thoroughly.

He sent it to me again in "record time" that he was finished. Went through it, more and more errors. This is someone that isn't ready to work but will hassle you to pay up for work that he obviously did not or doesn't want to do.

When I insisted he settles down to do the job if he wants to get paid, guess what he did? He took my manuscript and published it on his Amazon dashboard because he felt that's where I wanted to publish it so as he had done that, I wouldn't be able to use the story again. Then he started asking me to pay up or else he wouldn't take it down, kind of like a blackmail.

I left the whole project for him, decided it was best I took the time to do the work by myself, which I did. Sometimes if you want something done right you have to do it yourself.

My suggestion for him is to use the money he has made from selling my book to cover the supposed cost of the "meticulous" job he had done for me.

Sometimes working with Nigerians can be a very terrible experience. Most people don't really want to work but they definitely want to get paid.

Check his comment and look at him saying that my reasons were not justifiable. Well, you be the judge of that.

Either way, my decision stands and I'll like no further comment on this issue so I'm not dragged into unnecessary back-and-forths with unserious people.
Re: How I Almost Went Back To Yahoo! by Etinosa1234: 12:00am On Nov 11, 2020
B
Re: How I Almost Went Back To Yahoo! by Walterthaboss: 12:57am On Nov 11, 2020
meobizy:
How do long write-ups here look so intimidating but on Reddit are very enticing? I will read this during the daytime. For now I’m trying to find sleep.
I love redditors and reddit as a whole, it's just that on here, there's so much I can relate to.

1 Like

Re: How I Almost Went Back To Yahoo! by siverspooon(m): 3:49am On Nov 11, 2020
Good one
Re: How I Almost Went Back To Yahoo! by Etinosa1234: 1:59pm On Nov 11, 2020
Goldencheese:

See, don't follow your passion but follow your grind. You see, growing up and going to the university, I never once thought that I would consider food business as a hustle. Although I had sold cooked food and food stuff with my Mum under whom I did my IT grin grin grin but two clients changed my mind. One makes over 150 million a year through his restaurant operations and another makes more than N100 million selling packaged snack food. You see, to make money, you need cash flow. And as long as it is legit, i will do it if the cash flow is good. Look at the two young Nigerian men who recently sold Paystack for 200 million USD or N93 billion.

Since you have been a hacktivist, putting it mildly and jokingly grin grin, programming can enable you build technology products and with your communication finesse, you can sell them later on for millions of dollars. Ordinary app on Play Store and you get paid by Google.

By the way, I am just a beginner in programming. But I see a massive future in it.

Pls can u explain the bolded for me
Re: How I Almost Went Back To Yahoo! by Goldencheese(m): 3:00pm On Nov 11, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Pls can u explain the bolded for me

Google pays owners of apps on play store by advertising in their apps. If the apps do so well, mehn, you can make so much money. That's it.
Re: How I Almost Went Back To Yahoo! by john8899: 3:49pm On Nov 11, 2020
I really admire your bro , please show me the way nah 08022428912
Re: How I Almost Went Back To Yahoo! by Etinosa12345: 4:09pm On Nov 11, 2020
Goldencheese.. pls I just want to confirm whether apart from deploying app to play store, are there other things to do, like generating traffic and all?

1 Like

Re: How I Almost Went Back To Yahoo! by Jaycobbs(m): 8:37am On Nov 13, 2020
cc waywardpikin

This is the best way I could think of to reach you.

I just got my Upwork account approved, some few days ago. But I haven't been able to get any responses to my proposals. You mentioned that you got two responses to your proposals.

I think I need to take another look at the way I write those proposals; I'm reading some articles on it and watching some videos.

But can you copy-paste those two proposals that got you a response? I want to see your own particular approach and if I could maybe learn a thing or two from it.

Thanks in advance

(1) (2) (Reply)

Recharge Card Pos Printing Machine For Sale / Shop Online From Amazon USA to Nigeria @310/$,ship at 4.5$/lbs / ATM- Tips And Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.