Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,964 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

What Happens If Your Green Card Expires? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Happens If Your Green Card Expires? (467 Views)

Pls Help Me From Transit Visa Wahala Before Chinese Visa Expires in 3days Time / This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Happens If Your Green Card Expires? by kadirboy: 4:04pm On Oct 30, 2020
A Green Card is a card given to foreigners that have permanent residence status in the US. Although this card comes with many benefits for living and working in the Us, there can be huge problems for you if you get your card expired.

Most of the people do not even know when their card has expired, and they have to face some problems while others get the Green Card renewed. It is also important to note that if your Green Card expires, you will have to pay a heavy fee for its renewal, and it will also take a lot of time.

Problems That You May Have to Face When Your Green Card Expires
When the Green Card of any person is expired, there are several problems that that person has to face. Here we will discuss some of the major problems.

Getting a Job in the US
When you are applying for a job in the US, the employer will need you to submit a form I-9. The main reason for submitting this form is to verify the identity of the person living there and their permission to work in the US. The Form I-9 requires to present a valid Green Card on the very first day of employment.

In this case, if your green card is expired, you will have to face problems in getting a job. However, you can use your foreign passport with a temporary stamp I-551. This stamp is usually valid for a year, but it also requires you to get an appointment with your local USCIS officer that will also take several weeks for processing.
So, all in all, getting a Green Card expired means that you will be facing some issues when getting a job.

Buying a Home in the US
Buying a home is also a very problematic process if you do not have a valid Green Card. It is because the laws of the US will not allow you to buy a house if you do not have a valid Green Card. However, you can still get a mortgage if you have a photocopy of your green card.

Getting Your Driver’s License Renewed
If your driver's license is also expired with your Green Card, your permission to drive in the US will also be highly affected. Although the rules are different in different states, you will still need to contact the Motor Vehicles department to know how you can prove your residency. In most of the cases, an I-551 stamp on your foreigner passport will work fine.
But this will only be quick if you already have that stamp on your passport. If you are still to get a stamp on your passport, you will have to go through a lot of problems. Some of the problems are listed below.
• Scheduling an appointment at the USCIS office.
• Immediate application to renew the Green Card.
• A total waiting time of 2 to 3 weeks.
• After these things, you will get your I-551 stamp.

Getting a Professional License
If you are living in the US, you will not be able to continue your business or practice several skills if your Green Card is expired and you do not have a professional license. It is because the Laws of the Us do not allow several professionals from outside the US to work in the US without their valid Green Card and a professional license. Some of those professionals are listed below.
• Real estate agent
• Insurance agents
• Brokers
• Law workers
• Healthcare workers
For all of these people, getting a professional license is very important to continue their profession in the US. However, with an expired Green Card, they will not be able to get a professional license so they will not be able to continue their job.

Conclusion
Being a necessary document for the foreign residents of the US, a green card has vital importance in the life of every person. So, it is important to get it renewed before the expiration date or after it expired.

Although it might be very costly for people to get their Green Card renewed, you can still start renewing the green card process. However, the best way is to get it started almost 6 months before the card gets expired.

Re: What Happens If Your Green Card Expires? by Nobody: 11:08pm On Oct 30, 2020
I go enter this Yankee one day
But op person no go dey look till he expire naa

(1) (Reply)

Hotel Price Around Yaba / Latest On Sex For Passport Saga In Nigerian Embassy In Germany / Breaking News: Canada Pushes Back Travel Ban To February 21

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.