Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,851 members, 7,817,521 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

Can You But Tomatoes In Egusi? Just Wondering. - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Can You But Tomatoes In Egusi? Just Wondering. (5278 Views)

How To Prepare Egusi Soup - - The Ultimate Guide / My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) / How to Make Egusi Soup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You But Tomatoes In Egusi? Just Wondering. by Igboqueen: 7:59pm On Mar 11, 2011
I was wondering can I put tomatoes in egusi soup? Dis will be my second attemp making it. The first time it was good I ate the whole pot myself. But this time im adding more ingredients like assorted meat and smokwd fish. And I might make it more spicy.
Re: Can You But Tomatoes In Egusi? Just Wondering. by yme1(f): 10:04pm On Mar 11, 2011
Yes of course! It is very delicious and rich. All you need to do is fry the tomato like you are gonna prepare stew before adding the Egusi. Make sure you boil your meat aside and little water from it can be added to the soup. Will give you more details on how to prepare it well but can't right now cause am on phone.
Re: Can You But Tomatoes In Egusi? Just Wondering. by Igboqueen: 4:01am On Mar 12, 2011
Thank you. I just thnk it taste better.
Re: Can You But Tomatoes In Egusi? Just Wondering. by MissyB3(f): 10:39pm On Mar 12, 2011
Some do, but I've not tried it. I guess it would change the taste. . . . .I just like my egusi the way Grandma used to prepare it.
Re: Can You But Tomatoes In Egusi? Just Wondering. by Brite02(m): 10:48pm On Mar 12, 2011
@OP. Itz possible but ve neva tried it
My Togolese brodas can testify of it, even sum of yorubas i knw too does dat. Itz certain 4 sure. . .!!!
Re: Can You But Tomatoes In Egusi? Just Wondering. by Brite02(m): 10:57pm On Mar 12, 2011
Just confirmd it 4rm my mum nw, itz vry vry possible & delicious
<<<give a try u'l nt b disappointd>>
Re: Can You But Tomatoes In Egusi? Just Wondering. by akanxpress: 12:56pm On Nov 29, 2011
Yes, I have tried It,
To kill the bitter tomatoes taste, fry the tomatoes in plenty oil, till the paste sticks to the bottom of the pot, you can add ogbono & fry - if you want it a bit draw or okra or melon based. The end product it reddish, nutritious and tasty. Can add either fluted pumpkin, green or bitter leaf. There is no need to add spices like stew. But you can eat it with garri, rice, yam, spaghetti, bread, etc.
I like inventions, so I must not always stick to so called traditions. Let explore and break new grounds and invent
Thanks
Re: Can You But Tomatoes In Egusi? Just Wondering. by Nobody: 3:48am On Nov 30, 2011
If you don't mind the tartness of tomato, some use tomato paste as a thickener.
Re: Can You But Tomatoes In Egusi? Just Wondering. by MyJoe: 2:06pm On Dec 02, 2011
I'm quite surprised many have not tried this. This is my normal way of preparing egusi soup - maybe because I use it for my white rice, as I don't care much for the regular tomato stew. You can mix the egusi with tomato paste and fry together or treat the tomato separately, particularly if it is the ground stuff.

akanxpress:

Yes, I have tried It,
To kill the bitter tomatoes taste, fry the tomatoes in plenty oil, till the paste sticks to the bottom of the pot, you can add ogbono & fry - if you want it a bit draw or okra or melon based. The end product it reddish, nutritious and tasty. Can add either fluted pumpkin, green or bitter leaf. There is no need to add spices like stew. But you can eat it with garri, rice, yam, spaghetti, bread, etc.
I like inventions, so I must not always stick to so called traditions. Let explore and break new grounds and invent
Thanks
Yeah! You do have an invention there^^^.
Re: Can You But Tomatoes In Egusi? Just Wondering. by doctokwus: 4:43pm On Dec 09, 2011
It tastes great(if u know how to ppare it sha).Wen am alone,dats how I ppare my egusi soup,d mama's way w/o fresh tomato still ok though

(1) (Reply)

Cake Airbrushing / 12 Food That Boost Brain Activties / The Ultimate Kitchen Essential List – Best Kitchen Cookware, Utensils, Tools

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.