Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,398 members, 7,819,416 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:57 PM

Data Warehousing and OLAP Tutorials - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Data Warehousing and OLAP Tutorials (3798 Views)

Official Troll Tutorials Thread, Learn How To Be A Popular Troll! / I Need Tutorials On How Nairaland Works. / Visual Tutorials For Nairaland Newbies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Data Warehousing and OLAP Tutorials by badguy: 6:10pm On Feb 03, 2006
good day all,
I have scoured the net looking for some material on datawarehousing, OLAP, cubes. Can anyone out there help me out. Its really important.
Re: Data Warehousing and OLAP Tutorials by sbucareer(f): 8:34pm On Feb 05, 2006

What do you want to know about OLAP?  Read this document from IBM

1. Business Intelligence

Mind you that OLAP is a process.  It uses historical data from a datawarehouse to produce intelligent business solutions.  To learn OLAP your must learn Distributed Database in my opinion.  When I learned OLAP I used a book which is not in print today called Distributed Database - Principles & Systems, bought it from [url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0070662150/qid%3D1139168796/202-4355591-5971834]amazon[/url].  The authors were Stefano Ceri, Giuseppe Pelagatti.  The ISBN 0-07-066215-0.

I know that oracle database particularly 10g supports OLAP via Analysis Services. Analysis Services can be used to work with data warehouses or data marts designed for sophisticated enterprise intelligence systems. These systems process queries required to discover trends and analyze critical factors.

Anyway tell us what you want to know about OLAP, resources are limited on the net because it is a specialized topic in database analysis.  I can point you into the right direction as I have used OLAP in the past to analyse business intelligent solutions.

Re: Data Warehousing and OLAP Tutorials by badguy: 1:30pm On Feb 08, 2006
Hi thanks a lot for your post, The major issue is that I am still a novice in the field of Datawarehousing, I currently work for a company that is in the process of implementing a datawarehouse,, currently I would say what we have at the moment is a datastore which is a far cry from what a standard datawarehouse is. I have scoured the net but i can only get vague material. Anything ranging from basic OLAP tutorials to advanced will be OK with me. I intend making a career from this field, as I have noticed a gap just yearning to be filled up.
Thank you.
Re: Data Warehousing and OLAP Tutorials by sbucareer(f): 1:51pm On Feb 08, 2006

If you don't mind me asking, why does your company want to migrate to data warehousing?  Do your company want to answer business intelligent questions?  Or does it want to forecast the future and perhaps formulate strategies to remain competitive? 

You company do not need to install date warehouse.  You could ask your company to outsource data warehousing.  It will cost your company more money if all they want is answers to the above questions.

All your company needs is a good OLAP, MOLAP, and ROLAP tools.  You can then login to your data warehouse and the tool will pull out you answers from your warehouse depends on the question your tool had asked
Re: Data Warehousing and OLAP Tutorials by badguy: 2:11pm On Feb 08, 2006
Being able to get trends to enable better business descisions, also forcasting future trends are major reasons why any business will want to move to a datawarehouse. I do not think outsourcing will be an option in this case. i always thought getting a good tool will only be efficient and effective when you have an optimised datawarehouse. the current scenerio is one that will not allow for smart mining. Thanks for the earlier post. Too many data stores which have to be joined as when neccesary is required to produce inteligent reports.
Re: Data Warehousing and OLAP Tutorials by nwoye: 1:15pm On Jun 22, 2006
Thanks for this posting, however, i know there is so much to know about OLAP.

By the way, does anybody the address and phone number of Expert Edge or anybody working for the coy?

Thanks,
nwoye
Re: Data Warehousing and OLAP Tutorials by sbucareer(f): 1:55pm On Jun 22, 2006

Remember, Data warehouse is NOT an operational database. Data warehouse are historical data accumulated by the company over years.

Therefore, if you do not outsource it, your data will continue to grow and grow, which will require maintenance, hardware and software cost to support this issues. To leverage cost and maintenance you contact a reputable data warehousing company and let them keep and secure your data. 

Then, invest on a good mining tools like OLAP, MOLAP, ROLAP etc and query the historical data from a remote location. It addresses trends and statistical data

Re: Data Warehousing and OLAP Tutorials by clocky(m): 1:28pm On Jun 25, 2006
badguy:

good day all,
I have scoured the net looking for some material on datawarehousing, OLAP, cubes. Can anyone out there help me out. Its really important.

Creating a datawarehouse aware database is very easy . All you need to do is to create a Fact table which has a foreign key to all the tables you are trying to get data for. You can then add a time column to this table so that u can capture data based on time. If you are using oracle u can use a variety of analytical functions available to create cubes .

Hope this helps
Re: Data Warehousing and OLAP Tutorials by clocky(m): 1:31pm On Jun 25, 2006
nwoye:

Thanks for this posting, however, i know there is so much to know about OLAP.

By the way, does anybody the address and phone number of Expert Edge or anybody working for the coy?

Thanks,
nwoye

Expertedge is located at Ligali Ayorinde street Victoria Island very close to Mobil Producing Nigeria. It is the last house on the street very close to the beach
Re: Data Warehousing and OLAP Tutorials by qleyo(f): 9:35am On Aug 19, 2006
Sbucareer definitely said, I designed a system that receives roughly 14,400 entries per user per day (and they are forecasting a usage of around 300 users at the end of the year). These sort of databases require time and extensive maintenance - you want to avoid going from programmer/database designer to database maintainer (which is what is happening to me :s)

p.s. Sbu I'm still waiting on that e-mail with the docs from you sad oh and I'm now in London.
Re: Data Warehousing and OLAP Tutorials by sbucareer(f): 10:12am On Aug 19, 2006

Gleyo, please remind me of the documents again. I have lots of documents and people that I deal with everyday regarding ITC. I am sorry if I have not responded to you lately.
Re: Data Warehousing and OLAP Tutorials by qleyo(f): 10:02pm On Sep 21, 2006
I'll send you an e-mail or perhaps call you.
Re: Data Warehousing and OLAP Tutorials by Denniss: 12:17pm On Oct 06, 2009
Above given information is really helpful especially for newbies who wants to retrieve the multidimensional data from sql 2005.I would also recommend a book on OLAP and believe me its pretty informative.The book is available on Amazon & you can buy an e-book directly from the publisher by writing [email]OLAPWorldPress@gmail.com[/email].
Re: Data Warehousing and OLAP Tutorials by kimmi11: 10:09am On Dec 31, 2011
We have appreciated the Warehousing services of star distribution system. This company is not only depending on common Warehousing facilities, carriers or transportations services, pool distribution, LTL also included with its services. Their warehouse is more than modern and well organized to others. They can assurance our products will get in and out without delay.
Miami Warehousing

(1) (Reply)

See The Huge Snake Killed In FUPRE / We Make Durable Wooden Soap Mold With Divider In Various Sizes / Indians Taking Over Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.