Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,926 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:21 PM

To Understand US Electoral Vote System, You Must Understand Igbo Tradition - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / To Understand US Electoral Vote System, You Must Understand Igbo Tradition (1506 Views)

Jean-Yves Le Drian: Putin Needs To Understand NATO Has Nuclear Weapons / Hillary Clinton Renews Call For Abolition Of US Electoral College / US Electoral College To Confirm Biden's Win Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: To Understand US Electoral Vote System, You Must Understand Igbo Tradition by Difrent: 10:31pm On Nov 04, 2020
plessis:
Even till this moment, the world is yet to understand the deadly nature of authority and organized military.

Ancient igboland had no centralized government, no military and nothing like authority.

Look at the world with it's central governments and military. Look at how politicians are ruthlessly fighting to get to capitals like abuja, London, washington etc, Look at how politicians use the military to oppress the people.

The igbos were far ahead of their time.

sounds like " igbo founding fathers were cowards that couldnt build any great empire........they should be ashamed
Re: To Understand US Electoral Vote System, You Must Understand Igbo Tradition by plessis: 10:48pm On Nov 04, 2020
Difrent:

sounds like " igbo founding fathers were cowards that couldnt build any great empire........they should be ashamed

The thread is about democratic systems, not empires.

Dummy!

2 Likes

Re: To Understand US Electoral Vote System, You Must Understand Igbo Tradition by gwafaeziokwu: 10:51pm On Nov 04, 2020
Bkayyy:
Do you know that in ancient Igbo customs, a man in whose house a meeting is held presides over it. Nothing like hereditary privileges and title, you earn them.
In decisions making an ụmụnna have 1 vote irrespective of how many people make up that particular ụmụnna and you know that in a community there will be more than 10 ụmụnna

Each time I travel to my home town and observe the perfect organisation and hierarchy in our society, I usually experience profound pride and joy. See Umunna, Ogbe, Villages and towns union administration. Igbos running their ancient republican system not minding the madness in Nigeria.

Till today in igbo land, every son of the soil has equal rights traditionally. If you like be the inspector general of police, you can't get more than your fair share of ancestral land.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Understand US Electoral Vote System, You Must Understand Igbo Tradition by Difrent: 10:52pm On Nov 04, 2020
plessis:

Dummy!

DUMB democratic systems like the one that call some OSU, grin grin grin
Re: To Understand US Electoral Vote System, You Must Understand Igbo Tradition by gwafaeziokwu: 10:56pm On Nov 04, 2020
plessis:

Dummy!

grin

Small small, lol
Re: To Understand US Electoral Vote System, You Must Understand Igbo Tradition by Agbegbaorogboye: 10:56pm On Nov 04, 2020
rossoki:

Use your head. They are talking about a current system learning from older systems, and re-adapting what is learned to their local circumstances.

That is how the world works, not by ''oyibo magic''.

And i'm asking what similarities exist in the system. From what we know, there was never voting in Igboland so how could they have arrived at electoral college?
Re: To Understand US Electoral Vote System, You Must Understand Igbo Tradition by roundman: 10:56pm On Nov 04, 2020
Thank God we go rest now,no more Trump is God sent yeye talk,like say the other people nor know God.
Re: To Understand US Electoral Vote System, You Must Understand Igbo Tradition by gwafaeziokwu: 11:02pm On Nov 04, 2020
Agbegbaorogboye:

And i'm asking what similarities exist in the system. From what we know, there was never voting in Igboland so how could they have arrived at electoral college?

"From what we know" lol

You know nothing about the Igbo republican system. Infact if you know how a republican system works you won't make such dumb assertion that igbos do not vote.

2 Likes

Re: To Understand US Electoral Vote System, You Must Understand Igbo Tradition by Agbegbaorogboye: 11:07pm On Nov 04, 2020
gwafaeziokwu:

"From what we know" lol

You know nothing about the Igbo republican system. Infact if you know how a republican system works you won't make such dumb assertion that igbos do not vote.

Give me an example of voting in Igboland. You guys self. Note that electoral college is not voting to go to war or on a fishing expedition. It's indirect voting to select a leader. So explain to me how Igbos vote to select their leaders. Besides, what evidence do you have that the Igbo system is older than the American system anyway? The American system was copied from the Greeks
Re: To Understand US Electoral Vote System, You Must Understand Igbo Tradition by PDSI(m): 11:12pm On Nov 04, 2020
Hmm... Maybe they developed the USA too...
I implore all historians to dig deeper that connection might be there and even deeper than you think.
Re: To Understand US Electoral Vote System, You Must Understand Igbo Tradition by vaxx: 11:19pm On Nov 04, 2020
Swizerland to me practice the most enviable democratic system . Us election college system is flawed for many reason...
Re: To Understand US Electoral Vote System, You Must Understand Igbo Tradition by Agbegbaorogboye: 11:29pm On Nov 04, 2020
PDSI:
Hmm... Maybe they developed the USA too...
I implore all historians to dig deeper that connection might be there and even deeper than you think.
There's no such connection. Clapperton discovered Igbo land in the 19th century and American democracy was well under way then.
Men like Thomas Madison and Benjamin Franklin who played important roles in American democracy were influenced by French philosophers like Rousseau and Voltaire.
Except you mean the French took the idea of their revolution from the Igbo
Re: To Understand US Electoral Vote System, You Must Understand Igbo Tradition by Shuzzi(m): 11:42pm On Nov 04, 2020
These my Igbo brothers sef
Which one is this again? undecided
Re: To Understand US Electoral Vote System, You Must Understand Igbo Tradition by theophilusj31(m): 11:55pm On Nov 04, 2020
sigh.....this mad people and their usual chest-beating

(1) (2) (Reply)

South Koreans Become Younger Overnight After Country Scraps ‘Korean Age’ / Iranian Woman Barred From Office For Being Too Beautiful / U.S. Ambassador Explains Arms Embargo On Nigeria -by Attorney Patryk Utulu (USA)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.