Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,961 members, 7,814,254 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:57 AM

US Presidential Election: Like Nigeria Like America - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US Presidential Election: Like Nigeria Like America (527 Views)

Mike Okiro: Tinubu will fix Nigeria like Lagos / Al-Mustapha: 56 People Eating Nigeria Like Termites / Yerima Shettima: Amnesty Can Make Boko Haram Take Over Nigeria Like The Taliban (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Presidential Election: Like Nigeria Like America by SibaKeAkwaibom: 9:56pm On Nov 04, 2020
US Presidential Election: Like Nigeria Like America

It's no news that Nigeria, a developing state overtime has been trying to emulate the United States of America in almost all everything. I don't know if people would say I'm wrong if I maintain that Nigeria is an upcoming United States of America.

During the 2019 general elections in Nigeria, a strange scenario occurred that no one was able to utter a word. People were perplexed, but if anyone was around to study their countenances, all he could see was a people being dissatisfied and disappointed with the outcome of the elections, and at the same time not ready to say a word.

During the collation of votes by the Chairman, Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof. Yakubu Mahmood, the Presidential Candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, HE, Atiku Abubakar was leading the incumbent, President Mohammadu Buhari.

All state's results were announced, but only three States: Katsina, Borno and Kano was left to be announced.

Later that night, the result for Katsina state was brought by God knows who and shockingly, Buhari was leading with a very narrow gap. This gave hope to Nigerians that at last, power has changed hands. But while they were expecting the results of other two remaining states to be announced, INEC Chairman maintained they were going for a long break, and this took them till the following morning to resume the collation of votes.

Even while they were back from the break, there was no result still from those states. Later at noon, the result for Kano came in, and Buhari was leading Atiku with almost two million votes.

This is the same election that PDP faithful across the globe were jubilating to have won. The result of Kano was just the beginning of an impending doom. After few hours, that of Borno was released and Buhari was leading with over 5million votes. You say 5million votes?

Who are these people that went out for election in Borno? This was the same state that as at that time, more than 70% of residents had deserted for their lives due to the insurgency caused by the unceasing operation of the Boko Haram terrorist group.

There were cries everywhere. How could this be true? This was the question citizens asked, but it had already passed the level of asking questions. They wished they would manage the hardship for another four years. If they had known that one bulb of onion would be sold at N400, they would have done something. If they had known that a basket of tomato would be sold at N20,000, they would have chanted the anthem of freedom. If they had known that a bag of rice would be sold at N50,000 while a cup of garri sold at N150, they would have agitated for the right thing to be done. But because they thought they would manage for another four years, they're now crying and wishing they had done something. This will be the faith of Americans and immigrants if they fail to take the right action now.

Today, similar scenario is almost occurring in the United States of America where election was conducted yesterday.

According to reports, almost all the results have been announced, and from the look of things, Joe Biden, the Presidential Candidate of the Democratic Party is narrowly leading the incumbent, President Donald Trump of the Republicans.

The fight isn't to have the highest number of casted votes. The fight is to win at least 270 the electoral college votes, and so far, Biden has done justice to that.

There's controversies to why the result for Florida is yet to be released.

Florida just like Kano or Borno has a great voting strength. So from my point of view, the event of 2019 in Nigeria is about playing out in the United States of America.

Should Trump succeed to win Florida, it means it's a game over for Biden and just like Buhari, Trump will stay for another four years. And if Biden and his gang should succeed to do what they did in other States, it means Americans will be subjected to new policies which if care is not taken, maybe worst than that of President Trump. But one thing is certain, one of these men with the help of a Yakubu Mahmood-like American in the Electoral umpire, will hijack the votes of Florida.

The only difference between these two countries in the election field is that while Nigeria politicians use thugs to hijack sensitive electoral materials, cause mayhem and rig for their favor, the American politicians are not violent. All they do is deploy intellectual strategies to rig the elections. Nothing is fair anywhere. The Democrats and Republicans in the US are the same as APC and PDP members in Nigeria.

Me, I'm not supporting anyone because I'm here in Nigeria wishing I could see Onions and Tomatoes for my stew tomorrow.

America and Nigeria are birds of the same feather.

Senatoruwemumani@gmail.com

2 Likes

Re: US Presidential Election: Like Nigeria Like America by mideji(m): 10:10pm On Nov 04, 2020
All na same
Re: US Presidential Election: Like Nigeria Like America by haffaze777(m): 11:18pm On Nov 04, 2020
Wailer association of Nigeria
Re: US Presidential Election: Like Nigeria Like America by GamalNasser: 1:08am On Nov 05, 2020
The Election bears similarity to APC style of rigging

(1) (Reply)

Operation Delta Hawk Will Be Operationalised December - Okowa / How Army Nabbed Teenagers Who Threatened Southern Kaduna Residents After ‘posing / 6 Reasons Why We Carried Out The First Coup(January 15th 1966) - Colonel Nwobosi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.