Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,017 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:38 AM

15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study (52065 Views)

Is Nairobi International Airport Finer Than Lagos Airport? Find Out Here / Airbus Or Boeing Aircrafts, Which Is Better And Safer? / 7 Ways You Can Be A Better And Safer Pedestrian In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by Nobody: 6:37am On Nov 06, 2020
Edo, Ondo, Lagos were all part of the Benin kingdom, beautiful and rich people

11 Likes

Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by Rosskivvy: 6:38am On Nov 06, 2020
Guestlander:
Eredo ramparts. Ijebu Ode.

Perhaps, but it still represents exactly what the Benin wall rampart looks like.

2 Likes

Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by Rosskivvy: 6:50am On Nov 06, 2020
You have to wonder why the British felt the need to destroy this great city though, and burn it down to the ground.

They must have been really jealous of what they saw.

There were likely some really grand buildings and monuments that they just couldn't stomach, in their imperialist mindset.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by Nobody: 6:56am On Nov 06, 2020
Sunstorm95:
Nigeria won't develop in 100 years , not with the caliber of minds I've observed so far. I totally get the whole thing now ,so sad .
Not the minds ..it's the system

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by cocolacec(m): 6:58am On Nov 06, 2020
BigSarah:
The whites came to take BLOOD, cause sweat, and give TEARS...
The blacks allowed themselves to be swayed
The whites took our civilization and gave Africans their diseases through religion.

10 Likes

Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by oyatz(m): 7:08am On Nov 06, 2020
Rosskivvy:

I am from the 'tribe' you're talking about.

Don't stereotype whole ethnicities.

It's ignorant.

He never mentioned any name, so how did you know the tribe (the tribe of Judas) he was talking about?
Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by Rosskivvy: 7:18am On Nov 06, 2020
oyatz:

He never mentioned any name, so how did you know the tribe (the tribe of Judas) he was talking about?

That was cleared up. Read entire thread before commenting, pls.

1 Like

Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by Rosskivvy: 7:20am On Nov 06, 2020
Igbochief001:

Not the minds ..it's the system

The system helps to shape the minds though.
Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by Rosskivvy: 7:27am On Nov 06, 2020
The article said:

''In 1691, the Portuguese ship captain Lourenco Pinto observed: “Great Benin, where the king resides, is larger than Lisbon; all the streets run straight and as far as the eye can see. The houses are large, especially that of the king, which is richly decorated and has fine columns. The city is wealthy and industrious. It is so well governed that theft is unknown and the people live in such security that they have no doors to their houses.”

Such a contrast from today. If you never build fence with barbed wire and big gate, you never build house.

In fact they built their houses the way many European cities build theirs today. Just rows of houses facing the street direct with no gates or fences..

2 Likes

Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by Nobody: 7:28am On Nov 06, 2020
Rosskivvy:

The system helps to shape the minds though.
Na cause Nigerians have always performed better if they change environment
Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by Guestlander: 7:33am On Nov 06, 2020
Rosskivvy:

Perhaps, but it still represents exactly what the Benin wall rampart looks like.

That was a misrepresentation. That is not Benin wall.

4 Likes

Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by Rosskivvy: 7:34am On Nov 06, 2020
Guestlander:

That was a misrepresentation.

Get a life.
Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by Guestlander: 7:36am On Nov 06, 2020
Rosskivvy:

Get a life.

You should quit lying and Just admit you made a mistake. Blustering doesn't get you anywhere.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by Johnrake69: 7:46am On Nov 06, 2020
The level of development Africans had before the white man came around didn't happen by giving contracts away for public utilities.

It was all about communal efforts. We will keep going in circles until we see the need to go back to the ways of our ancestors.

Africa must be built by Africans.

All these projects we're signing away to China and the likes have no connection with the people and that is why the so called hoodlums (bona-fide members our society) will always turn them to dust at every opportunity they get.

8 Likes

Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by RemoveKebab: 7:46am On Nov 06, 2020
Rosskivvy:

Fair enough, but the original reason was European greed for African and New World resources.

It was what spurred them to develop the old knowledge of gunpowder, which I'm sure was equally available to early African emperors, probably before Europeans.

I believe the Africans did not pursue its development in part at least due to religious and ethical reasons. Plus, unlike Europe, they did not lack natural resources, hence they had no raging impulse to invade other continents to loot theirs.
yes Africa already had enough so they had no reason to seek for resources by all means adding to that, geography also left west and southern Africa in the dark.

The vast desert of north Africa isolated them in time.

Early technology exchange couldn't happen as it was between Europe and Asia.

5 Likes

Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by Racoon(m): 7:47am On Nov 06, 2020
Whao! What a histroy.Civilization came with a cost.

1 Like

Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by Nobody: 7:49am On Nov 06, 2020
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

2 Likes

Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by southsouthking(m): 7:51am On Nov 06, 2020
���
Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by Stallion93(m): 7:52am On Nov 06, 2020
grin
For how long shall we keep blaming the whites when in the present times our Leaders are The wolves Themselves?

1 Like

Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by southsouthking(m): 7:52am On Nov 06, 2020
Proudly an Edolite.
Oba kha tokpe eeeeeee
Ogidigan kha tokpe eeeeeeee
Uh mo gun kha tokpe eeeeeee

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by cluewebhost(m): 7:53am On Nov 06, 2020
Now our inferiority complex makes us hire "expatriates" to dig gutters

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by shadeyinka(m): 7:54am On Nov 06, 2020
Realtalk20:
When I tell the urchins from the tribe of judas never to compare us with them they get upset.

They see us as beneath them but I laugh as history keeps disgracing them grin

They ran to claim Lagos which we owned and where using as our sea port , we named it Eko , Eko means nothing in Yoruba but in our language it means gathering point or something like that.

That tribe is so bitter and tribalistic and it sweets me when I see their tears

Proudly Edo
The highlight show the one who is tribalistic. Rather than rejoice in the rich history of Benin Empire and the achievements of the forefathers who were modern in thinking and technology, your only achievement is tribalism.

Repent.

The Old Benin Empire was indeed of great minds!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by HITsquad: 7:54am On Nov 06, 2020
This is no news... Benin empire,The nubian Kush empire... Modern day Sudan,Malian empire... (I don't even wanna add our famous light skin egyptian neighbors) was an evidence that Africa was not always at the back stage! We were better than our counterparts in every angle!

Something went wrong somewhere man! And it's sad

9 Likes

Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by Crownp(m): 7:55am On Nov 06, 2020
Realtalk20:

One day you will understand why all tribes hate the Yorubas and don't trust them

undecided
If only you can stop all these tribal or ethnic bigotry of yours... You for almost make sense... But no, your dry skull won't let you...

5 Likes

Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by Badonasty(m): 7:56am On Nov 06, 2020
Guestlander:
Eredo ramparts. Ijebu Ode.

I thought I was the only one that noticed

2 Likes

Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by Badonasty(m): 8:00am On Nov 06, 2020
RemoveKebab:
yes Africa already had enough so they had no reason to seek for resources by all means adding to that, geography also left west and southern Africa in the dark.

The vast desert of north Africa isolated them in time.

Early technology exchange couldn't happen as it was between Europe and Asia.

I don’t think geography had a part in it...the ancient romans knew about west Africa and even traded with them...don’t forget there were even blacks in the Roman army serving in faraway Britain back then

2 Likes

Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by engrchykae(m): 8:00am On Nov 06, 2020
The great Edo seemed to me to be an offshoot of the ancient egyptian civilization.
In her monarchical structure and spiritual background.
The real monkeys are Europeans who copied everything they have from Africa and yet fail to acknowledge Africa.
Their pattern is simple DISCOVER AND DESTROY

12 Likes

Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by xpool(m): 8:00am On Nov 06, 2020
GavelSlam:
Africans, take pride in yourselves.

You have a rich history yet adopting foreign ways make you despise and diminish your culture, your ability and your future.

Wake up.

What rich history?
History written and told by others?
History of being slaves for centuries?

If na history, abeg forget am.
We fit talk of future

1 Like

Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by Pigmy(m): 8:01am On Nov 06, 2020
Rosskivvy:

I am from the 'tribe' you're talking about.
Don't stereotype whole ethnicities.
It's ignorant.

I supposedly get am before , certainly no be achievement.
you get am now?.

2 Likes

Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by hotplate: 8:01am On Nov 06, 2020
The system of government later adopted was what brought benin to a retarded state it is today. Believe me if the monarchy system was still in place and the oba is still in charge of administration benin would be competing with the great Britain

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 15th Century Benin City Was Finer And Safer Than London - British Study by Grandmeister(m): 8:01am On Nov 06, 2020
It took a white man to tell us this.....when you can’t tell your story then others will tell it for you and shape your ideology and in so doing shape your progress as a people. Nigerians don’t value history that was why they went and elected a man who crushed the young democracy that was handed to them on a platter, and in so doing drove us into decades of military juntas and corruption..Nigerians fought and died to gain back their democracy only to hand it back to the same man who trampled upon in the past! What a people!

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? / Turkey Plane Splits Into 3 Parts After Skidding Off Runway, Kills 3, Injures 179 / Alfa Ekele, Nigerian Aviation Student Dies In Plane Crash At US Airport (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.