Stats: 3,155,877 members, 7,828,117 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

Trump : A Proof Democracy Is Work In Progress - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Trump : A Proof Democracy Is Work In Progress (973 Views)

N5.5bn SUVs: If Democracy Is Expensive, Try Dictatorship - Adedayo Adeyeye / Our Democracy Is Under Threat - Secondus / CJN Suspension: Our Democracy Is On Fire - House Of Reps Speaker, Dogara (2) (3) (4)

Trump : A Proof Democracy Is Work In Progress by Bulleye(m): 5:56pm On Nov 06, 2020
America, from where Nigeria copied the presidential system of government, has once again proved that democracy needs vigilance to be a useful tool of governance. We are reminded here in Nigeria that governance is too serious a business to be left to politicians alone. It is also demonstrated to us that there is no institution so robust and formidable that cannot be compromised or undermined by unscrupulous and rogue citizens. We watch right before our eyes as Americans defend their democratic institutions and prevent the rise of authoritarianism. It is now clear that the people are greater than the government in power.

Nigerians should learn from the Americans how to uphold the rule of law and respect for institutions. We should not be intimidated by politicians who are directionless and visionless.
We are to be relentless in our pursuit of enforcement of the rights to speak and organize ourselves to enthrone a government that shares our values and beliefs.
Re: Trump : A Proof Democracy Is Work In Progress by Vaughanlanrewaj: 6:03pm On Nov 06, 2020
Dear sir, there is nothing to learn from USA. Even Americans right now are ashamed of their country as far as democracy is concerned because of how HE Trump is calling their democracy a fraud.

That US democracy is so bogus and expensive yet very little in terms of quality and value for money.

I was shaking my head watching their President mocking and disparaging all their institutions yet their political establishment kept mum.

That even someone who lost about 2.5m popular votes became a President alone is not democracy. Their democracy is technically government of the electoral college not democracy of the whole citizens. If any other country tries It, they are in trouble.

So that type of lousy democracy by USA should should never be recommended to any country. One mentally unfit person can technically become their President and start a world war shocked

Re: Trump : A Proof Democracy Is Work In Progress by Bulleye(m): 6:25pm On Nov 06, 2020
Vaughanlanrewaj:
Dear sir, there is nothing to learn from USA. Even Americans right now are ashamed of their country as far as democracy is concerned because of how HE Trump is calling their democracy a fraud.

That US democracy is so bogus and expensive yet very little in terms of quality and value for money.

I was shaking my head watching their President mocking and disparaging all their institutions yet their political establishment kept mum.

That even someone who lost about 2.5m popular votes became a President alone is not democracy. Their democracy is technically government of the electoral college not democracy of the whole citizens. If any other country tries It, they are in trouble.

So that type of lousy democracy by USA should should never be recommended to any country. One mentally unfit person can technically become their President and start a world war shocked

But the beauty of it all is that he is being called out and no secret service is harassing anyone. No gagging of freedom of speech and protests are allowed.
Re: Trump : A Proof Democracy Is Work In Progress by Vaughanlanrewaj: 6:56pm On Nov 06, 2020
Bulleye:

But the beauty of it all is that he is being called out and no secret service is harassing anyone. No gagging of freedom of speech and protests are allowed.
Not really sir. All those who testified against him during his impeachment have been victimised and some even forced to leave the armed forces and others.
Sir, let's wait until he leaves office fully.

Re: Trump : A Proof Democracy Is Work In Progress by hakeemhakeem(m): 7:34pm On Nov 06, 2020
Bulleye:

Protest will be since they are trump supporters if am not wrong biden supporters wouldn't tried it if trump Is leading
Re: Trump : A Proof Democracy Is Work In Progress by Fash20: 7:42pm On Nov 06, 2020
Vaughanlanrewaj:

But what we practice is called democracy. Nigerian will always amazed me
Re: Trump : A Proof Democracy Is Work In Progress by Vaughanlanrewaj: 7:49pm On Nov 06, 2020
Fash20:

But what we practice is called democracy. Nigerian will always amazed me
I think the original poster was suggesting the very expensive yet disproportionate idea of democracy. It is not really about Nigeria. I am looking at the inherent lapses in what the USA call democracy where 70k votes by HE Trump knocked off 2.5m votes. I think that alone set a tone for the poor acceptance of the Trump presidency. 2.5m votes is quite significant in my opinion and that is really not the kind of democracy to recommend to other nations.
Re: Trump : A Proof Democracy Is Work In Progress by Bulleye(m): 8:39pm On Nov 06, 2020
Vaughanlanrewaj:

I think the original poster was suggesting the very expensive yet disproportionate idea of democracy. It is not really about Nigeria. I am looking at the inherent lapses in what the USA call democracy where 70k votes by HE Trump knocked off 2.5m votes. I think that alone set a tone for the poor acceptance of the Trump presidency. 2.5m votes is quite significant in my opinion and that is really not the kind of democracy to recommend to other nations.
My opinion is the Americans have built fail-safe feature in most of their institutions to accommodate human deficiencies and unpredictability. This is why Donald Trump cannot make voting "inconclusive" in battleground states and counties that eventually determine the winner.
Re: Trump : A Proof Democracy Is Work In Progress by Vaughanlanrewaj: 2:53am On Nov 07, 2020
Bulleye:

My opinion is the Americans have built fail-safe feature in most of their institutions to accommodate human deficiencies and unpredictability. This is why Donald Trump cannot make voting "inconclusive" in battleground states and counties that eventually determine the winner.
So does it mean in Nigeria, a sitting president can declare an election inexclusive?
Sir, the Trump presidency is showing the underbelly of the false narrative thst they have an institution; from his hijacking of the Republican party to the way he got people who squealed on him fired to even how he rushed the appointment of a Supreme court justice in an unprecedented manner in their nations history.

He even had political campaigns in the White House in same unprecedented manner! Where are all these 'safe institutions ?

This man even approved the assassination of an enemy nation even without consulting the congress and almost threw USA into war!! As we type here, it was on Twitter he announced the suspension of the stimulus package the congress was in talks with the Treasury department. USA has no safe institution all along, it was all a farce sir.

Re: Trump : A Proof Democracy Is Work In Progress by jude79(m): 5:21pm On Nov 07, 2020
Vaughanlanrewaj:

So does it mean in Nigeria, a sitting president can declare an election inexclusive?
Sir, the Trump presidency is showing the underbelly of the false narrative thst they have an institution; from his hijacking of the Republican party to the way he got people who squealed on him fired to even how he rushed the appointment of a Supreme court justice in an unprecedented manner in their nations history.

He even had political campaigns in the White House in same unprecedented manner! Where are all these 'safe institutions ?

This man even approved the assassination of an enemy nation even without consulting the congress and almost threw USA into war!! As we type here, it was on Twitter he announced the suspension of the stimulus package the congress was in talks with the Treasury department. USA has no safe institution all along, it was all a farce sir.

But our own president did worst than trump with our own judiciary, and we didn't even squirm not to talk of protesting.
Re: Trump : A Proof Democracy Is Work In Progress by Bulleye(m): 5:33pm On Nov 07, 2020
jude79:

But our own president did worst than trump with our own judiciary, and we didn't even squirm not to talk of protesting.
Exactly. What Americans rejected Trump for is nothing compared to what Buhari has done. Nevertheless Nigerians are helpless and cannot even comment.

Re: Trump : A Proof Democracy Is Work In Progress by Vaughanlanrewaj: 5:59pm On Nov 07, 2020
jude79:

Sir,apples to apples, Trump did far worse things to disgrace a country that prides itself for having the oldest modern democracy.
Let's just wish them the best. President Trump undid their democracy and trust me, a lot will be revealed in days to come. Just 4 years o and all their institutions have been dragged into the mud. No where was spared! Even a senior military officer was fired from his post for reaching out for help when most of his crew members contracted covid-19. The senior military officer was fired by a civilian political appointee before they realise that the order for redeployment should come from the military council. It was unprecedented!
Ha!! That man called Trump did them Agege!
Re: Trump : A Proof Democracy Is Work In Progress by Tumbulum: 6:01pm On Nov 07, 2020
Vaughanlanrewaj:

remove the electoral college and watch Islamist fromiddle east who migrated to the states breed like rats and take over America in the near future.

Re: Trump : A Proof Democracy Is Work In Progress by jude79(m): 6:18pm On Nov 07, 2020
Vaughanlanrewaj:

Sir,apples to apples, Trump did far worse things to disgrace a country that prides itself for having the oldest modern democracy.
Let's just wish them the best. President Trump undid their democracy and trust me, a lot will be revealed in days to come. Just 4 years o and all their institutions have been dragged into the mud. No where was spared! Even a senior military officer was fired from his post for reaching out for help when most of his crew members contracted covid-19. The senior military officer was fired by a civilian political appointee before they realise that the order for redeployment should come from the military council. It was unprecedented!
Ha!! That man called Trump did them Agege!

What I'm saying is that Nigerians are not in position to judge Trump, if they cannot do same to their president, charity begins at home. What happened to the military officer is wrong but worst case scenario happened here, even when Trump was not in the picture, and America was still a model, Nigerians didn't do fim. We should just sit back and watch how things are done in a real democracy, and then we should learn and act to save ourselves from the embarrassment we have become as a nation.
Re: Trump : A Proof Democracy Is Work In Progress by Bulleye(m): 6:33pm On Nov 07, 2020
jude79:

What I'm saying is that Nigerians are not in position to judge Trump, if they cannot do same to their president, charity begins at home. What happened to the military officer is wrong but worst case scenario happened here, even when Trump was not in the picture, and America was still a model, Nigerians didn't do fim. We should just sit back and watch how things are done in a real democracy, and then we should learn and act to save ourselves from the embarrassment we have become as a nation.
On what scale will Nigerian system of government be compared to that of America? What yardstick are we going to use? Nigeria is the exact opposite of what Is good about America. Nigeria has long way to go. America, with all its imperfections, is far ahead of Nigeria.
Re: Trump : A Proof Democracy Is Work In Progress by helinues: 6:35pm On Nov 07, 2020
Americans have spoken through ballot, let the protesters in Nigeria also wait till 2023 and use their votes to elect credible people instead of disturbing our peace with nonsensical protest

EdoFirstBorn
Re: Trump : A Proof Democracy Is Work In Progress by Bulleye(m): 6:44pm On Nov 07, 2020
helinues:
Americans have spoken through ballot, let the protesters in Nigeria also wait till 2023 and use their votes to elect credible people instead of disturbing our peace with nonsensical protest
Your argument is flawed. Enduring a government that welcomes leaders of bandits and terrorists in government house while persecuting peaceful protesters is madness. A government holding party with bandits, terrorists and kidnappers has lost the moral rights to challenge peaceful protesters. We have a government which constituents are Boko Haram terrorists, killer Fulani herdsmen, Fulani bandits and kidnappers while it declares war on peaceful protesters in the south. That government is a threat to public peace.
Re: Trump : A Proof Democracy Is Work In Progress by Vaughanlanrewaj: 8:09pm On Nov 07, 2020
jude79:

Please sir, don't recommend USA type of democracy to any country. Patriotic Nigerians bleed daily for this country and they are not your regular nairaland negative commentators.
We have fought tyranny even more than countries older than us and the democracy we have now was not won on the social media.
We know how the military will park armoured tank in front of universities yet we will go out and face live bullets. We don't go around looting the shops of those equally protesting against injustice. We don't have bank accounts receiving millions of donations yet we buy Tempo Magazine to support the struggle.

Some of those patriots like Chima Ubani died even without having a house of his own.
All this America this America that is not correct. We are the real heroes of democracy; to get this democracy the young ones are disparaging and cashing out big time from, we faced a ruling military that is trained to kill.
They are learners. All the nonsense other African leaders are doing sitting tight and handing over to their sons like Togo and co can't be accepted by Nigerians.

Nigerian Govt Has Plans To Destroy Igbo Land– HURIWA / Abeg Na Who Sow That Buhari Trouser? / South Eastern Nigeria In Control By 3 Different Groups

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62