Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,214 members, 7,818,726 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:07 PM

Oracle Database Backup And Recovery Question. Please Answer - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Oracle Database Backup And Recovery Question. Please Answer (1260 Views)

Outlook PST Recovery Software ? / Save Image Into Oracle Database In Asp.net/vb.net / Create Database Diagram From Oracle Database (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oracle Database Backup And Recovery Question. Please Answer by monex(m): 9:02am On Jun 27, 2007
Archived redo log files protect against media failure and should ideally hold transactions since the last backup. Can RMAN automatically delete archived logs of transactions that are obsolete by virtue of being part of the last full or incremental backup. Should transactions be Abeg, someone should help answer this. sbucareer, babasin, larryoncol etc, its time to fire.
Re: Oracle Database Backup And Recovery Question. Please Answer by larryoncol(m): 11:18am On Jun 27, 2007
no, RMAN will only let you know that you have some obsolete backups, you will have to delete them by yourself.
Re: Oracle Database Backup And Recovery Question. Please Answer by larryoncol(m): 11:19am On Jun 27, 2007
u can use your CMD or EM to delete obsolete backups
Re: Oracle Database Backup And Recovery Question. Please Answer by babasin(m): 5:00pm On Jun 27, 2007
Yes, larryoncol correct

You can create a simple shellscript to move your archivelog to new location and delete it from their.

if you on unix and give me your directory path e.g /tmp/archive, I could create a script for you.
Re: Oracle Database Backup And Recovery Question. Please Answer by monex(m): 6:11pm On Jun 27, 2007
alright. the things is, i want a 0% transaction loss. will deleting archived log files not make me unable to recover from media failure maybe except i am able toknow which of the files is already included in a previous backup set?
Re: Oracle Database Backup And Recovery Question. Please Answer by monex(m): 8:25am On Jun 28, 2007
also how do i use both EM and command line to delete obsolete backups like archive redo logs already included in a backup set. i want a 0% transaction loss but i don't want to keep swelling my flash recovery area
Re: Oracle Database Backup And Recovery Question. Please Answer by larryoncol(m): 9:33am On Jul 24, 2007
your flash recovery area is one of those storage areas that you need to mnitor critically but still you can always set your warninig and critical threshold level at a reduced rate in order to make monitoring more efficient.

when an obslete backup is deleted it means that the modified block has already been written to your datafiles so in other words they are marked as useless/obsolete. you shuld never make mistake of deleteing you archived logs except u really know what your doing ? but if you do delete it should always be obsolete backups

you can use the delete obsolete command from your cmd

or do this from your EM
Re: Oracle Database Backup And Recovery Question. Please Answer by cyberbob(m): 5:58pm On Jul 26, 2007
do not panic! rman does not delete backups not even the redologs. but depending on the type of backup policy you embacked upon , you will definitely not need all backups so some would have to be deleted by u the dba and all that rman does is to help you mark those you wouldn't need obsolete

(1) (Reply)

Maiden Edition Of The Nigerian Universities Programming Contest / Game Programming Know How: / Can Gurus Help Me With This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.