Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,833 members, 7,820,915 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:36 AM

The Difference Between Democratic And Republican - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Difference Between Democratic And Republican (2387 Views)

BOLA TINUBU IS ANTI-DEMOCRATIC AND POLITICAL TERRORIST. LET'S CALL OUT THE BULL / Peter Obi Receives International Republican Institute Envoy At LP Campaign HQ / See The Difference Between Atiku Visit To Ilorin Vs Osinbajo (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Difference Between Democratic And Republican by Skyfornia(m): 1:31pm On Nov 07, 2020
A lot of people following the USA current election hardly know the difference between the Democratic and republican, or their views regarding some key decisions or policies in the united States.

It’s important to understand the real difference between America’s two political parties at this point in history.

Instead of “left” versus “right,” think of two different core competences.

The Democratic Party is basically a governing party, organized around developing and implementing public policies. The Republican Party has become an attack party, organized around developing and implementing political vitriol. Democrats legislate. Republicans fulminate.

In theory, politics requires both capacities – to govern, but also to fight to attain and retain power. The dysfunction today is that Republicans can’t govern and Democrats can’t fight.

Here are 10 huge differences or views in the party platforms:

1. ABORTION

Democrats: "We believe unequivocally, like the majority of Americans, that every woman should have access to quality reproductive health care services, including safe and legal abortion."

Republicans: Abortion should be illegal in all cases and the Constitution should ve amended to ban the procedure.

"We assert the sanctity of human life and affirm that the unborn child has a fundamental right to life which cannot be infringed," the platform said.

The GOP argued that supporting the constitutional right to abortion was the "extreme" position.

2. SAME-SEX MARRIAGE

Democrats: Applauded the U.S. Supreme Court decision that legalized same-sex marriage.

Republicans: Condemned the court decision.

"Five unelected lawyers robbed 320 million Americans of their legitimate constitutional authority to define marriage as the union of one man and one woman," the platform said.

3. IMMIGRATION

Democrats: Called for fixing the "broken immigration system," including a path to citizenship for 11 million undocumented immigrants.

Republicans: Embraced Trump's call for a wall along the U.S-Mexican border though was silent on whether to back their nominee's demand to deport all 11 million.

4. CLIMATE CHANGE

Democrats: "Climate change poses a real and urgent threat to our economy, our national security, and our children's health and futures."

Republicans: Cast doubts on whether the climate is changing, rejecting the findings of the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change as "a political mechanism, not an unbiased scientific institution" with "intolerance toward scientists and others who dissent from its orthodoxy."

5. MEDICARE

Democrats: They would not only would "fight any attempts by Republicans in Congress to privatize, voucherize, or 'phase out' Medicare," but would allow Americans older than 55 to enroll.

Republicans: They would end the health care program for the elderly as we know it, requiring seniors to either enroll in a private insurance plan or face limits on how much the government will pay.

6. WALL STREET

Democrats: The party promised to "vigorously implement, enforce, and build on" banking regulations enacted to curb risky practices by financial institutions and "will stop dead in its tracks every Republican effort to weaken it."

Republicans: Blamed the Great Recession on "the government's own housing policies," not Wall Street actions and called the banking regulations "an excuse to establish unprecedented government control over the nation's financial markets."

7. IRAN

Democrats: President Barack Obama's agreement to relax economic sanctions on Iran in exchange for curbs on its nuclear program "verifiably cuts off all of Iran's pathways to a bomb without resorting to war."

Republicans: The deal "gravely threatens our security, our interests, and the survival of our friends." The Republican platform called it "a personal agreement between the president and his negotiating partners and non-binding on the next president."

8. ISRAEL

Democrats: The platform backed a "secure and democratic Jewish state" of Israel and a chance for Palestinians to "govern themselves in their own viable state, in peace and dignity."

Republicans: While both parties support Israel, the Republicans said nothing about the two-state solution that has been the bipartisan cornerstone of U.S. foreign policy for decades.

9. MONEY IN POLITICS

Democrats: They want to overturn the Citizens United decision, which eased restrictions on corporate and union campaign spending.

"We need to end secret, unaccountable money in politics by requiring, through executive order or legislation, significantly more disclosure and transparency -- by outside groups, federal contractors, and public corporations to their shareholders," the platform said.

Republicans: "I have joined the political arena so that the powerful can no longer beat up on people who cannot defend themselves," Trump said in accepting the Republican presidential nomination.

The GOP platform would make things much easier for the powerful. It would repeal or raise contribution limits and allow outside groups spending millions on campaigns to hide their donors.

10. VOTING RIGHTS

Democrats: The party said it would fight laws requiring certain forms of voter identification "to preserve the fundamental right to vote."

A leader of the 1963 landmark Selma-to-Montgomery voting rights march, Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.), helped nominate Clinton for president on Tuesday.

Republicans: The GOP platform endorsed state efforts to impose voter identification requirements that the U.S. Justice Department and several federal and state courts have said discriminate against minority and poor voters. The platform called Justice's actions "bullying."

Cases of in-person voter fraud, which such voter-ID laws are supposed to prevent, are "nearly non-existent," according to the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University Law School.

https://scheerpost.com/2020/08/30/the-real-difference-between-democrats-and-republicans/

https://www.nj.com/politics/2016/07/dnc_2016_10_big_ways_the_democratic_platform_diffe.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Difference Between Democratic And Republican by Wisebird22(m): 1:45pm On Nov 07, 2020
Include both their views on war...
Re: The Difference Between Democratic And Republican by Kzinne: 2:13pm On Nov 07, 2020
Re: The Difference Between Democratic And Republican by Skyfornia(m): 2:23pm On Nov 07, 2020
Wisebird22:
Include both their views on war...

Republican views on war involve fighting when necessary, and not always defaulting to diplomacy. That is not to say that Republicans do not believe in preventing war when it is preventable. Of course they will not fight a war they do not feel is necessary. However, they feel that backing down when a threat is presented can be more harmful than the consequences of a war. For this reason, Republicans believe that a country must always be prepared for war. They must properly maintain a military and the proper defense systems.

Democratic view on war is to deliver on overdue commitment to end the forever wars, and will do it responsibly--setting priorities, leading with diplomacy, protecting citizens from terrorist threats, enabling local partners, and bringing US troops home. They only use force when necessary to protect national security and when the objective is clear and achievable--with the informed consent of the American people, and where warranted, the approval of Congress. No US forces in Iraq; no US bases in Iraq
When President Obama took office, there were over 140,000 American troops in harm's way in Iraq

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between Democratic And Republican by helinues: 2:27pm On Nov 07, 2020
Sebi those 2 parties still have policies and agenda.

What can we say about Apc and Pdp in Nigeria?
Re: The Difference Between Democratic And Republican by Skyfornia(m): 2:29pm On Nov 07, 2020
helinues:
Sebi those 2 parties still have policies and agenda.

What can we say about Apc and Pdp in Nigeria?

Abeg leave Naija...we still have 600 years to catch up

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between Democratic And Republican by AfonjaMuslim: 2:30pm On Nov 07, 2020
You couldn't even hide your bias. That is if you wrote the drivel yourself. I didn't read pass the part you called Republican an attack party

4 Likes

Re: The Difference Between Democratic And Republican by Guestlander: 2:37pm On Nov 07, 2020
Skyfornia:

Republican views on war involve fighting when necessary, and not always defaulting to diplomacy. That is not to say that Republicans do not believe in preventing war when it is preventable. Of course they will not fight a war they do not feel is necessary. However, they feel that backing down when a threat is presented can be more harmful than the consequences of a war. For this reason, Republicans believe that a country must always be prepared for war. They must properly maintain a military and the proper defense systems.

Democratic view on war is to deliver on overdue commitment to end the forever wars, and will do it responsibly--setting priorities, leading with diplomacy, protecting citizens from terrorist threats, enabling local partners, and bringing US troops home. They only use force when necessary to protect national security and when the objective is clear and achievable--with the informed consent of the American people, and where warranted, the approval of Congress. No US forces in Iraq; no US bases in Iraq
When President Obama took office, there were over 140,000 American troops in harm's way in Iraq

Who took the troops to Iraq and what exactly was the reason? Let me guess, it was a republican president who went there to look for some "weapons of mass destruction" that was never there in the first place. The whole country was destroyed for nothing.
Re: The Difference Between Democratic And Republican by GHoJes: 2:38pm On Nov 07, 2020
Word For Trump

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

2 Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;

3 Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.

4 There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High.

5 God is in the midst of her; America/Trump shall not be moved: God shall help America/Trump, and that right early.

6 The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted.

7 The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.

Even when the fight seems lost
We'll praise you
Even when it hurts like hell
We'll praise you
Even when it makes no sense to sing
Louder then we will sing your praise

Even when the morning comes
We'll praise you
Even when the fight is won
We'll praise you
...Louder then we will sing your praise
Re: The Difference Between Democratic And Republican by Hyperchi(m): 2:42pm On Nov 07, 2020
ur post on their view on war was wrong. as it has show that it not party view but the president at that moment that determine. bush cost a war and obama created his own even when his party orientation is not so, funny enough both party member did not stop the president.

for trump I will give him plus one. tell me the war he create
Re: The Difference Between Democratic And Republican by Skyfornia(m): 2:43pm On Nov 07, 2020
AfonjaMuslim:
You couldn't even hide your bias. That is if you wrote the drivel yourself. I didn't read pass the part you called Republican an attack party

I'm not bias..the things stated above are not my whole hand writings even though I share the same understanding with the writers. I love Republican party and many of their views and will support Trump over Obama any time of the day.

But it is what it is...
Re: The Difference Between Democratic And Republican by Skyfornia(m): 2:49pm On Nov 07, 2020
Hyperchi:
ur post on their view on war was wrong. as it has show that it not party view but the president at that moment that determine. bush cost a war and obama created his own even when his party orientation is not so, funny enough both party member did not stop the president.

Bros you read that part in a hurry...I never stated that any of their views is to create war.

Republicans will prefer to station their soldiers in a country that they feel is a threat to them,
But the democrats mostly believe in dialogue and will rather withdraw their troops for peace to reign.
Re: The Difference Between Democratic And Republican by Skyfornia(m): 2:51pm On Nov 07, 2020
Guestlander:

Who took the troops to Iraq and what exactly was the reason? Let me guess, it was a republican president who went there to look for some "weapons of mass destruction" that was never there in the first place. The whole country was destroyed for nothing.

This your comment is hilarious I swear! cheesy grin
Re: The Difference Between Democratic And Republican by Guestlander: 2:54pm On Nov 07, 2020
Skyfornia:

This your comment is hilarious I swear! cheesy grin

In what sense sir?
Re: The Difference Between Democratic And Republican by Skyfornia(m): 3:01pm On Nov 07, 2020
Guestlander:

In what sense sir?

If you believe Iraq doesn't have chemical weapons then it is likely that you will believe Osama Bin Laden was not a terrorist.

Anyway...attack is the best form of defence
Re: The Difference Between Democratic And Republican by Karleb(m): 3:20pm On Nov 07, 2020
The write up is bias!

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between Democratic And Republican by Hyperchi(m): 3:24pm On Nov 07, 2020
Skyfornia:

Bros you read that part in a hurry...I never stated that any of their views is to create war.

Republicans will prefer to station their soldiers in a country that they feel is a threat to them,
But the democrats mostly believe in dialogue and will rather withdraw their troops for peace to reign.

I get u, but what am saying is, it all matters on their candidate, and this ideology is not on their manifesto. coz it never played in Syria, Libya .
u made ur statement to see conservative as war mongers and Democrats as Angel. which is not so. it only depend on candidate that won the election.
I was thinking trump will create war but he proved me wrong. do u think biden wouldn't create war. coz he was there wen Obama was sponsoring and bombing everywhere

2 Likes

Re: The Difference Between Democratic And Republican by Ibadansun1: 3:28pm On Nov 07, 2020
Hyperchi:

Which War did Obama start?
Re: The Difference Between Democratic And Republican by Ibadansun1: 3:30pm On Nov 07, 2020
Vietnam

Iraq

Afghanistan

Etc were wars started by republicans
Re: The Difference Between Democratic And Republican by Koulture(m): 3:49pm On Nov 07, 2020
Republicans destroy the economy while Democrats fix things,Bush destroyed the economy built by bill clinton,and the economy destroyed by bush got rebuilt by Obama,Trump came and he destroyed it.Right now the economy is going to be rebuilt again by Democrat biden.
Re: The Difference Between Democratic And Republican by Lordswazz(m): 3:49pm On Nov 07, 2020
You are clearly biased, and even a blind man can see it from 5,000 kilometers away.

The fundamental difference between both parties is that the Republican Party prides itself on upholding the ethos of the founding fathers of the constitution and traditional American values, while the Democratic Party takes on a more liberal approach where they try to change and adapt to the times.

That is why they call Democrats "Liberals," meaning that they're flexible, open to ditch even core values if they feel it has outlived its purpose and no longer fits with the times. The Republicans, on the other hand, believe one shouldn't ditch core values that make up one's foundation just because it's not "fashionable" anymore.

Both sets of ideologies are important to a country. Be too conservative, and you won't know when to change a redundant system or way of life; be too liberal, and there will be no discipline or culture anymore because "anything goes."

5 Likes

Re: The Difference Between Democratic And Republican by osuulola(m): 3:49pm On Nov 07, 2020
Hyperchi:

Why did Trump kill the Iranian General Solemani?
He simply wants war!
Re: The Difference Between Democratic And Republican by WoundedLamb: 3:51pm On Nov 07, 2020
Is this knowledge sharing or some sort of campaign? I'm asking cause the disposition of the writer towards the parties can be noticed even without making any efforts. It's almost defensive.

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between Democratic And Republican by Koulture(m): 3:53pm On Nov 07, 2020
osuulola:

He simply wants war!
Don't mind those dumbos saying Trump didn't start a war,had it been Iran retaliated in full scale the killing of soleimani by now the whole world will be burning.
Re: The Difference Between Democratic And Republican by MJluv(f): 4:07pm On Nov 07, 2020
OP, when next you have something this critical to write about, please endeavor to do so without showcasing your bias. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between Democratic And Republican by Pecuman: 4:15pm On Nov 07, 2020
Skyfornia:

Abeg leave Naija...we still have 600 years to catch up

South Korea and Botswana have already caught up in 50 years.

Something is horribly wrong with Nigeria not to be even close in that same time.
Re: The Difference Between Democratic And Republican by Pecuman: 4:16pm On Nov 07, 2020
Or in other words, Democrats are Angela that will save the world and Republicans are evil demons.

Yeah, Democrats destroying Libya and Republicans destroying Iraq is proof that where it matters, they are both the same.
Re: The Difference Between Democratic And Republican by Hyperchi(m): 4:17pm On Nov 07, 2020
osuulola:

He simply wants war!

the man was already a target, be4 trump came in. what he did was approval when the topic was raised again. that can trigger a war. but the retaliation can also cos America has the force to push on.

OK answer me if it was Obama and bush after the retaliation what do u think they will do next
Re: The Difference Between Democratic And Republican by Hyperchi(m): 4:19pm On Nov 07, 2020
Ibadansun1:
Which War did Obama start?
who started the Libya crisis. and made Isis gain more ground.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

No Security Outfit Outside ESN Will Operate In Igboland – Nnamdi Kanu / Apapa Seaport Is Own By Ijaws Not Yoruba / Voice From South-south: A Disastrous End To Northern Lies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.