Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,651 members, 7,809,457 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:58 AM

Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect (34630 Views)

Picture Of Joe Biden And A Group Of Women / Inauguration Of Joe Biden As US President (Live Video) / About 50% Of Joe Biden's Transition Team Composed Of "People Of Colour" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by Omooba77: 7:06pm On Nov 07, 2020
Pennsylvania-born Joseph Robinette Biden has spent most of his adult life in elected office.

At the age of 29, he won a seat representing the state of Delaware in the US Senate as one of the youngest ever elected to the chamber.

Before that, Biden had worked as a lawyer and served for two years on a county council in Delaware, where his Irish-Catholic family had relocated when he was a child.

The son of a car salesman, Biden’s career in the chamber earned him a reputation as a straight-talking moderate, willing to work with the opposing party to get legislation passed.

However, with a three-decade-long congressional career, and a Democratic Party that has moved farther left in recent years, Biden’s record in the chamber has come under increased scrutiny.

Critics have denounced his drafting of a 1994 crime bill that has been blamed for causing the mass imprisonment of minorities and his eulogising of Senate colleague Strom Thurmond, a man who began his political career as a segregationist.

He has also faced criticism for his role as the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee in the controversial grilling of Anita Hill during the Supreme Court confirmation hearing of Clarence Thomas in 1991. Hill had accused Thomas of sexual harassment.

Third presidential run

Biden’s 2020 bid for the presidency is his third. Campaigns in 1988 and 2008 both fizzled. The first ended amid allegations of plagiarism. The second resulted in then-candidate Barack Obama choosing the elder politician as his running mate.

Biden, now 77, served as vice president during Obama’s two terms from 2008 to 2016.

The pair developed a close relationship from what had initially been a more strategic pairing, with Biden credited for using his working-class roots, folksy flourishes and experience to help shore up support for the country’s first Black president from older white Americans in key northern swing states.

Obama endorsed Biden in April 2020, saying his former running mate embodied “the spirit of looking out for one another”.

On the campaign trail, the former vice president has been known to espouse “Bidenism” – pithy wisdoms often attributed to family.

“My dad had an expression,” he said at the beginning of his 2020 campaign. “He said, ‘Joey, a job is about a lot more than a pay cheque. It’s about your dignity. It’s about respect.'”

The off-the-cuff style, however, has also left Biden prone to gaffes, including proclaiming during a 2020 radio interview “You ain’t Black” if you support Trump.

Family tragedy

Biden has also shown a talent for giving a personal touch to his public persona, speaking about his severe stutter as a child that earned him the nickname “Dash”.

He has also been open about the family tragedies that have marked his time in office.

Biden’s first wife, Neilia Hunter, and infant daughter, Naomi, were killed in a car crash while out Christmas shopping in 1972 – just weeks after Biden had first won election to the Senate.

Biden’s sons Beau, 4, and Hunter, 2, were badly injured in the wreck and Biden was famously sworn into the Senate beside his sons’ hospital beds. He later went on to marry Jill Biden and have another daughter, Ashley.

In 2015, during Biden’s second term as vice president, Beau, who had followed him into politics and served as the Attorney General of Delaware, died from a brain tumour at age 46. Biden briefly swore off running for office after the death.

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2020/8/29/us-elections-who-is-democratic-presidential-candidate-joe-biden?

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by Flexherbal(m): 7:17pm On Nov 07, 2020
May his tenure favour Americans, Nigerians and the entire world!

For GOOD MEN with erectile/performance/sperm issues, https://www.nairaland.com/3152927/testimonies-100-herbal-tea-cures#46368527-weak-oragan+quick-release

89 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by ogododo: 7:30pm On Nov 07, 2020
Good luck na the man name oo
Since 1996

3 Likes

Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by Omooba77: 7:53pm On Nov 07, 2020
Meanwhile, Biden’s younger son Hunter’s career as a lawyer and lobbyist, including a five-year term on the board of a Ukrainian gas company, has been the target of unsupported corruption allegations.

An alleged attempt by Trump allies, and the president himself, to dig up dirt on the younger Biden was central to impeachment proceedings against the president beginning in 2019.

Unifying candidate
Biden’s popularity has grown steadily throughout the election season after initially facing a formidable challenge from progressive Senator Bernie Sanders. The early primary upsets led the Biden campaign to rework some policies ahead of the general election, in an attempt to appeal to the growing progressive base.

The former vice president has also done little to distance himself from his voter-energising former boss, largely embracing the suggestion that his presidency will be an Obama redux.

Along with running mate Kamala Harris, Biden continues to pitch himself as a reassuring and experienced force who can unify the country following four years of Trump. If he wins the election, he would also be the oldest person to assume the presidency in US history, turning 78 by the time he would take office.

In accepting the party’s nomination during the Democratic National Convention in August, Biden envisioned his presidency as “the end of this chapter of American darkness”.

The election, he said, is nothing short of a “battle for the country’s soul”.

Congrats to those of us with America blood. God bless United States of America!

17 Likes

Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by slawormiir: 8:37pm On Nov 07, 2020
Damnnn niggarrrr
Biden the boss
Trump the pussy ass
It is over according to kalistus

It is over for trump
If you are a niggarrrr and you know kalistus then you must be a real niggarr..the way am seeing it ehhnn...it looks like Obama is now the jagaban of America
Any way what do i know..am just a pussy banger, weed smoker and a drunkard
Prechgold1180:
oga hustle
24/7 u dey demm nigar for nairaland
Wen u supposed dey work
Ogbeni the huzzle simple pass the way you dey reason am
The huzzle nor be do or die affair

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by hammerDK: 8:37pm On Nov 07, 2020
LET US NOT FORGET WAT HAPPENED HERE.

IT CAN STILL HAPPEN AGAIN.

HE IS NOT PRESIDENT YET.

13 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by RomanianNinja: 8:37pm On Nov 07, 2020
Messi is simply a KING. The greatest footballer in world history... Shush! Don't argue it

6 Likes

Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by Nobody: 8:37pm On Nov 07, 2020
angry

Spot look at Donald Trump — who is not in a campaign war room prepping a legal battle — but is at his golf course in Sterling, Virginia.

Well, let's see how things will go.

2 Likes

Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by Offpoint1: 8:38pm On Nov 07, 2020
Nigerian Christians are the most paranoid people on earth. They feel everything is a threat to them. They can easily be brainwashed with any kind of conspiracy theories.
I still remember the:
Obama conspiracy of being the antichrist
The bill gates
The 5G
The Buhari
Even the Corona virus lockdown was a "fight" against Christianity
Now the Biden.

I've never seen such gullible people on earth.

The fact remains nobody on earth can end Christianity or Islam except God himself.

But I don't understand why Nigeria Christians are always crying.

Imagine American citizen who has never stepped his/feet in Nigeria, out of religious sentiment his praying Buhari should go for 3rd term because he's the "Messiah" God chosen one.

There's no atrocities that will be committed today that has never been committed before.
There was more persecution in Jesus Era, than now.
There was more sins committed during Jesus Era than now, that's why He came during that Era.

Stop all the paranoid, conspiracies and sentiment.

Nobi Odin create Biden

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by armadeo(m): 8:38pm On Nov 07, 2020
Expected
Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by Nobody: 8:38pm On Nov 07, 2020
#Biden2020 cool

Trump is one of those US president that could not win their second term

1 Like

Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by HuntSon(m): 8:38pm On Nov 07, 2020
Trump joked about the death of Biden's son and the BLM protesters, and one religious fanatic from Nigeria is telling me he is God's chosen.

Now that Biden has won, does it mean Satan is now more powerful than God??

Y'all Nigerian Christians in your bid to guilt-trip people with religion, only end up belittling the title of the Almighty!

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by Orubebe01: 8:38pm On Nov 07, 2020
Congratulations to him. My American brothers, start oiling your aarse in advance ooo grin

4 Likes

Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by OgaTheTop2: 8:38pm On Nov 07, 2020
Patience is key.. there is time for everything in life. What will be...would be smiley

Congrats president-elect. smiley

5 Likes

Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by Daum: 8:38pm On Nov 07, 2020
R
America
I know you feel victorious
You feel like you just proved your point.

This was how Nigerians felt when they elected Buhari. Today they're gnashing their teeth's.

7 Likes

Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by salford: 8:38pm On Nov 07, 2020
Congrats to Joe Biden and Kamala Harris.

9 Likes

Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by DenreleDave(m): 8:38pm On Nov 07, 2020
undecided

Biden shud not rejoice..

Israel and UK is coming to help us..

Trump is our online president

Cc: Hresso hrreso

Gud pm boss

12 Likes

Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by Prechgold1180(m): 8:39pm On Nov 07, 2020
smileyVery soon. Truimp won't be allowed into the white house because it ll be for -Biden

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by inoki247: 8:39pm On Nov 07, 2020
if we are to show Buhari profile we go add him barren Cow join

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by ednut1(m): 8:39pm On Nov 07, 2020
Another Buhari in disguise.

4 Likes

Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by dahunsi12(m): 8:39pm On Nov 07, 2020
Big congrats to the president elect.

2 Likes

Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by Sonnobax15(m): 8:39pm On Nov 07, 2020
shocked.

All these ain't necessary at all...... Trump could have been given such privilege to write a biography on how his asss was whooped by Biden....

A book on "Biden the murderer of the Trump's dynasty" wouldn't be a bad collection to be added to my bookshop ASAP

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by HAPPINESSSS(f): 8:39pm On Nov 07, 2020
HAPPINESS IS HERE grin

ALL I WILL SAY IS,

GOD BLESS AMERICA
GOD BLESS NIGERIA.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by Nobody: 8:39pm On Nov 07, 2020
I thought it's only in Nigeria that people fight to remain in power till death call.
With all his controversial past, Americans still chose him to lead them.

Well, na them Sabi.

Chai! 2023 still far oooooo. 9ja my country
Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by jawalis(m): 8:39pm On Nov 07, 2020
Whatever rocks their boat in America.
I don’t know why Nigerians carry the matter for head. Some Nigerian follow the election and was even campaigning for Biden as if he give Nigerians free visa.
Una eyes go clear.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by Built2last: 8:40pm On Nov 07, 2020
It's his time
Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by Prechgold1180(m): 8:40pm On Nov 07, 2020
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
Biden the boss
Trump the pussy ass
oga hustle

24/7 u dey demm nigar for nairaland
Wen u supposed dey work

7 Likes

Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by UncleHaba22: 8:40pm On Nov 07, 2020
The election shock ipobians pass the Trump himself grin grin

14 Likes

Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by ozoigbondu: 8:40pm On Nov 07, 2020
I don't know how Nigeria trumpets believe a man that has served as senator for 36 years and vice for 8 years will destroy America

L for the shameless trumpets

23 Likes

Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by NXTDANGOTE(m): 8:40pm On Nov 07, 2020
grin I'M LAUGHING SO HARD AT THE ABOVE POST.. grin this is the only office he will never be elected into. Quote me when it happens.. I'm so confident of that. Joe BIDDEN can never be elected the president of USA. I SAID SO
Re: Biography & Profile Of Joe Biden, US President-Elect by Cocobongo(m): 8:40pm On Nov 07, 2020
Let me start by congratulating the President elect, Joe biden...
What a way to enter the new decade..
Sometimes God save the best for last....

To those who believe 2020 is not over until you win, keep up the faith and God will surprise you...

To those perfect Christians who said trump is Christian and Joe biden isn't........let me tell you,
PEOPLE ARE MAKING HISTORIES WHILE you guys are marking NOISES ...

GO GET A FU*CKING LIFE.....

2021 Trump can't go to the white house anymore because its "forBIDEN

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

46 Migrants Found Dead In Tractor-Trailer In Texas / Saudi Arabia Drops Islamic Calendar Over Oil Crisis - Adopts Gregorian, Cuts Pay / Madiba's Burial: Isn't South Africa Most Ungrateful To Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.