Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,176 members, 7,815,113 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:29 AM

How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. (9118 Views)

Innoson Motors Spotted At The National Assembly Complex (See Photos) / Rolls Royce Owner, Who Lives In A Rented Flat In FESTAC / KIA Motors Unveils Multi Billion Naira Plant (25,000 Cars/year) In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by SleekReek(m): 1:44pm On Mar 15, 2011
http://m2weekly.com/cover-cover/how-kia-motors-endangers-lives-in-nigeria/

"As far as Jonas Agwu, Lagos Sector commander, Federal Road Safety Commission, FRSC, is concerned, this is indeed unthinkable. Agwu says it is totally inconceivable for anyone to produce a car in this age and time without such basic safety features as an airbag, among others.

But the Standards Organisation of Nigeria differs slightly on this. Rilwan Fashina, public relations officer, SON, is of the view that airbags belong to the class of additional safety features. “The standards for automobiles worldwide factor in safety and performance as critical parameters to determine their quality. Thus many safety devices are fitted into automobiles depending on their grade and class e.g. fog lights, speed limit alerts, the seat belts, ABS among others. These comfort, design and aesthetics among others also play major roles in determining quality of automobiles and their class and price. I am aware that not all automobiles are fitted with airbags because they are an additional safety feature; on the other hand, some automobiles are fitted with more airbags than others also as added safety feature,” he says."

This is the most disturbing aspect of this article SON which should protect we the nigerian people are  making such a statement. For all those who want brand new cars sold by Nigerian motor companies, over tukunbo american spec cars,the ball is in your court,read this and make your choice.
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by SleekReek(m): 1:58pm On Mar 15, 2011
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2010-kia-rio-5dr-hb-auto-rio5-sx-safety.htm

Driver Air Bag
Passenger Air Bag
Passenger Air Bag On/Off Switch
Side Head Air Bag
Rear Head Air Bag

These are the standard safety features sold with a Kia Rio in US.
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by damola1: 2:13pm On Mar 15, 2011
We could write a petition to the appropriate quarters to look into this.
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by SleekReek(m): 3:21pm On Mar 15, 2011
, Thus many safety devices are fitted into automobiles depending on their grade and class e.g. fog lights, speed limit alerts, the seat belts, ABS among others.

Great idea damola1 , i mean just look at the above statement,seat belts shocked is mentioned as one of the safety devices fitted into automobiles depending on their grade and class,can you imagine? No wonder SON is not effective in protecting the Nigerian people from sub-standard items.
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by Orisdude: 7:05pm On Mar 15, 2011
I find it most unbelievable that a SON official should express this view.
Its soooooo annoying. Airbags are a standard feature on cars now,
And its a shame KIA in their corporate greed mode are allowing themselves get dragged into this.
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by davidhoop: 8:35am On Mar 16, 2011
i think the issue not only lies with kia products, how about the molues danfos kabu kabu that ae running around the country.safety checks rather than document check should be emphasized by frsc and other agencies
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by verbena: 8:45am On Mar 16, 2011
them force you to buy, If u want a car with more airbags go and buy a Yaris for 1m more. There have taken out the airbags to make it more affordable to you. You buy what u pay for, if the government says there must be airbags and kia puts in airbags in the rio the car would be about 2.5m. Then its still you that would complain that theyre ripping you off. Cars are similar priced in USA because it is assembled there thus eliminating the shipping and clearing costs and for Kia in nigeria to deliver budget cars they have to do away with some options in the car . Given that the rio doest have much in it the airbags seem the logical thing to remove( as car no go work without tyre or gearbox). Dont work for Kia but its only common sense, if u want something with more airbags go and but a toyota and stop complaining.
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by verbena: 8:48am On Mar 16, 2011
them force you to buy, If u want a car with more airbags go and buy a Yaris for 1m more. There have taken out the airbags to make it more affordable to you. You buy what u pay for, if the government says there must be airbags and kia puts in airbags in the rio the car would be about 2.5m. Then its still you that would complain that theyre ripping you off. Cars are similar priced in USA because it is assembled there thus eliminating the shipping and clearing costs and for Kia in nigeria to deliver budget cars they have to do away with some options in the car . Given that the rio doest have much in it the airbags seem the logical thing to remove( as car no go work without tyre or gearbox). Dont work for Kia but its only common sense, if u want something with more airbags go and but a toyota and stop complaining.
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by ikeyman00(m): 9:01am On Mar 16, 2011
@@@@@@

air bag or not people still get killed

average Nigerian mentality is so cruel

imagine people only look out for road safety officer before they even have their seat belt on shocked shocked hahha STANDARD

so dnt talk like your air bag is a noble saviour when it isnt

again for those driving with bad brake pad etc; only in nigeria that u have cars that failed brake; cars aint built not to stop when brakes are applied!

now this is what its sound like 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fawev1yln2s
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by Nautillus(m): 11:25am On Mar 16, 2011
verbena:

You took the words straight outa my mouth
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by blayz0923: 11:36am On Mar 16, 2011
i am not surprised that we are talkin about stands, and fools run their tappish mouths in a manner that depicts murderous and wholesome stupidity.
can KIA produce such cars for the American market? the said SON officer, what car those the fool use?
we agree that airbags re no saviours, but it ameliorates the effect of sudden fatal impact
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by blacksta(m): 11:43am On Mar 16, 2011
Where there is no law  - you have no crime.  You cant imagine this mess happening in a sane society.  Make Laws and Enforce it everybody sits up.

Nigeria is a jungle - Imagine trucks with failed brakes - I would worry about that one over air bags in a KIA
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by blayz0923: 11:49am On Mar 16, 2011
blacksta:

Where there is no law - you have no crime. You cant imagine this mess happening in a sane society. Make Laws and Enforce it everybody sits up.

Nigeria is a jungle - Imagine trucks with failed brakes - I would worry about that one over air bags in a KIA

yes oh, my broda, our leaders and co are enmeshed in looting that they pay Lil or no attention to Lil issues dat can wipe a generation.
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by bebe4u(f): 12:11pm On Mar 16, 2011
i am not surprised this is coming from a SON official after their director in Lagos office used one way along (lekki ajah expressway )and ramped into my car causing a major damage to my car (a KIA cerator). in a convoy with his good for nothing senior house boys call protocol officer . Up till today they have disappeared after a fail promise to fix my car.

God will judge and deliver to them in good measure according to their deeds to the Nigeria populace.
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by turboman(m): 12:26pm On Mar 16, 2011
ikeyman00:

@@@@@@

imagine people only look out for road safety officer before they even have their seat belt on shocked shocked hahha STANDARD

again for those driving with bad brake pad etc; only in nigeria that u have cars that failed brake; cars aint built not to stop when brakes are applied!

Do you think before you talk 
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by Ultrame(m): 1:01pm On Mar 16, 2011
ikeyman00:

@@@@@@

Ode ni e.
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by Fhemmmy: 1:23pm On Mar 16, 2011
I love this thread . . . . this explains why some people would now understand why we cant compare the American/Canadian specs machine to the "Boxes on wheels" sold in Nigeria as brand new cars
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by beeman80: 2:33pm On Mar 16, 2011
Rilwan should tell us how much KICK BACKS he has received from KIA motors to bring in sub standard car bodies on tyres into Nigeria. I am sure he knows KIA wont try that in other countries such as the US or the UK. Why must we be the receivers of sub standard things? Does our SON not care for the citizens?
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by SleekReek(m): 2:43pm On Mar 16, 2011
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=310411021116&topic=18992

Sola Salako's Consumer Advocacy Forum

My Toyota Experience: Good Thinking, Bad Product?
I bought a Toyota Rav 4 in August 2006 from Elizade Motors. Since it was my first ever brand new car and I had an old car then, I only drove it on special occasions. My first reaction after the purchase was that contrary to the perception I had of the brand, the car was a little too lightweight than I expected. Initially, I thought my disappointment was buyer dissonance but when I had the opportunity to drive the American Specs of the same car, I could confirm that my Nigerian Specs was significantly different. The only way to describe it is ‘pangolo’ (empty tin) compared to the American version

While I am grossly aggrieved at Elizade and Toyota Nigeria for endangering my life and taking advantage of my vulnerability as a woman to pass off a defective product as superior quality and falsely reassure me to avoid culpability, I cannot but wonder if there are any standards for vehicles imported into Nigeria in the first instance.

I am aware that nations specify the minimum standard of products that can be imported into their country but it seems the Nigerian government was not copied on that memo. As a consumer rights and protection advocate, I have raised the alarm that with porous regulations and zero enforcements, Nigeria is sitting duck for substandard products. While my experience with Toyota could be an isolated case as the brand is not substandard, thousands of products flood our markets without any way for consumers to verify their quality.

Where is Standards Organisation of Nigeria in this global Toyota recall? Who do I report my experience and suspicion of a factory defect in the Rav 4 2006 edition so they can investigate to ensure that consumers like me are not endangered by our purchase? The case in the automobile industry is particularly critical because Nigerian lives are on the line. How are we sure that many of the accidents that we attribute to bad roads, reckless driving and carelessness are not actually caused by some minor defect in the vehicle? Who is saddled with the responsibility to investigate accidents to determine their causes so we can avoid such in future?
[/color]

Excerpts above from the experience of a nigerian concumer who bought a Toyot Rav 4 from Elizade in Nigeria,it is an intersting read. I love researching and my research and the horrible experiences of friends and colleagues who bought brand new cars in Nigeria in the name of buying brand new ,made me conclude that i will never buy a brand new car in any Nigeria based authrorized distributor of any brand of car company, and even if i need a brand new car i will spend the time and money to buy one from US and ship it down and have my peace of mind. wink We must not leave the issue,in Nigeria the foundamental problem is corruption and it is affecting every aspect of our lives, but things can change, we can change things,so as you dey buy cars brand new or tukunbo,shine your eye shocked
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by OWOLAYEMO: 2:46pm On Mar 16, 2011
please let us all nairalander generates a petition to the presidency. every life is precious!
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by Fhemmmy: 2:49pm On Mar 16, 2011
I think the govt is to be blamed for this, cos there ought to be some quality assurance dept that makes sure that imported rides are of standard and not just some box on wheels. . . . however, how cant a govt that is busy siphoning money in their care even have time to know the masses are not safe with what they buy with their own money?
That being said, the dealers too needs to have a heart and not just cos of money or profit just sell anything
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by delegiwa(m): 3:06pm On Mar 16, 2011
verbena:

@Verbose, it is thoughts like the one above that will embolden Indians, Lebanese and their brothers and sisters to continue in their below standard activities in this country. If you don't know, airbags are as important as your beloved gearbox and tire and more! How can u assemble a car in this day and age without airbags and you sound as if airbags are privileges instead of fundamental safety accessories. It is still people like you that will shut people up when they complain that DSTV increased their subscription fee and you will ask the same question above. Hissssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by verbena: 3:33pm On Mar 16, 2011
FYI i lived in England for 6 years and Cars without airbags can sold and driven mate. The only requirement needed for cars to be road worthy are seat belts anyone that has had an MOT done in the civilized world would testify. what people do is if a car is not up to your specification you dont buy. EASY AS THAT. All kia is doing making brand new cars affordable to the public .

Some of you are so funny, theres no pleasing nigerians. And one thing i would let u know the chances of you buying a tokunbo car for the same money as a kia rio and the airbags deploying is less than 50%. As most of the tokunbo cars brought in here are salvaged cars that the americans have deemed to unsafe for their roads. For me i have been in Nigeria 2 years and i never catch that tokunbo disease yet so i would rather my airbagless rio than buy a tokunbo honda EOD.

Abeg i can tell ur bitter cos u r interested in getting one, save more money and buy a cerato rather than blame SON, that is the only way kia can provide budget cars . Also i have just bought a KIA and i clearly remember wen i bought it you could get a RIO with airbags and auto for 2.2m, Nigerians abeg just buy that one and shut up, let the people that cant afford it have access to Brand new cars aswell.
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by verbena: 4:09pm On Mar 16, 2011
@ rilwan

The government in the USA and UK wouldn't stop this cars from being sold in the UK what would happen is people concerned wouldn't buy. If you ever heard about the luxury brand of cars called Morgan, their cars do not come with airbags yet people still pay in excess of 50,000 pounds for it. I can mention a few others if you want , the spyker c8 has no airbag and would run you over 100,000 pounds. Its common sense , if i you went into Kia and asked to buy a rio , if sales man says no airbag, u tell him sorry, oh thats a shame i would've bought it if it had, call okada and head to Toyota to buy a yaris for more money. Its only common sense,
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by verbena: 4:13pm On Mar 16, 2011
@ rilwan

The government in the USA and UK wouldn't stop this cars from being sold in the UK what would happen is people concerned wouldn't buy. If you ever heard about the luxury brand of cars called Morgan, their cars do not come with airbags yet people still pay in excess of 50,000 pounds for it. I can mention a few others if you want , the spyker c8 has no airbag and would run you over 100,000 pounds. Its common sense , if i you went into Kia and asked to buy a rio , if sales man says no airbag, u tell him sorry, oh thats a shame i would've bought it if it had, call okada and head to Toyota to buy a yaris for more money. Its only common sense,

@delegiwa

Dstv is a private company so the government dont have any right to regulate their pricing. If the government did something about our local channels then dstv would not be a necessity. u people are just funny, if dstv increase their subscription and u cannot pay my brother buy hi tv as ur the one that wants to watch and no one is forcing u.
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by SleekReek(m): 4:18pm On Mar 16, 2011
FYI i lived in England for 6 years and Cars without airbags can sold and driven mate. The only requirement needed for cars to be road worthy are seat belts anyone that has had an MOT done in the civilized world would testify. what people do is if a car is not up to your specification you dont buy. EASY AS THAT. All kia is doing making brand new cars affordable to the public .

Some of you are so funny, theres no pleasing nigerians. And one thing i would let u know the chances of you buying a tokunbo car  for the same money as a kia rio and the airbags deploying is less than 50%. As most of the tokunbo cars brought in here are salvaged cars that the americans have deemed to unsafe for their roads. For me i have been in Nigeria 2 years and i never catch that tokunbo disease yet so i would rather my airbagless rio than buy a tokunbo honda EOD.

Abeg i can tell your bitter cos u r interested in getting one, save more money and buy a cerato rather than blame SON, that is the only way kia can provide budget cars . Also i have just bought a KIA and i clearly remember wen i bought it you could get a RIO with airbags and auto for 2.2m, Nigerians abeg just buy that one and shut up, let the people that cant afford it have access to Brand new cars aswell.

What do you mean by , "that is the only way kia can provide budget cars" it's not true,those who order them and ask them to bring it in without airbags are not doing it for the interest of Nigerians who want to buy brand new cars,they are doing it for themselves to make exorbitant profit,if it is really for Nigerians then a Kia Rio without air bag should be sold for less than 800,000 Naira, because it's should be buying a risk at a small price!

, let the people that cant afford it have access to Brand new cars as well-at what price Verbana,at the price of there lives. The governement should create a conducive economic environment to make cars with airbags (up to international standard) be sold in Nigeria at a relative cheap rate,not by allowing substandard death traps be sold to there citizens in the name of affordable( and How affordable is 1.4-1.8 for a brand new Kia Rio with no airbag?) brand new cars reaching the populace. Please have a rethink,so we can make this country better. cheesy
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by verbena: 4:42pm On Mar 16, 2011
sleek reek, all i am saying is the government cannot ban them from bringing in cars without airbags as even in civilized countries airbags are not a must have in cars(see my earlier post for examples). what people forget is in America no shipping and clearing costs involved so the cost price of one rio is at least 600,000 naira less than in Nigeria and they roughly cost the same in both places (base Rio $11000 and N1.8m) . Those expenses have to be taken from somewhere and in a car like a Rio that has nothing thats all there is to take out. All im saying is if u want airbags save more money, if you think that its a good deal buy. if they put airbags in kia and still pay all the shipping costs the car would be 2.5 - 2.6 then who go buy. men think like we educated, until we start assembling these cars here, cars would either come ill equipped or over priced so u need to think about that.

Besides its not like the government is forcing you to buy a kia and kia themselves sell Rios with airbags so if u want buy that one for 500k more.

To be honest if everybody in Nigeria got their licenses by taking a driving test like civilized people and obeyed traffic signs wede be a lot safer. People drive the opposite direction on one way roads, drive in between roads and beat traffic lights(when lasma no they) and then same people talking bout airbags. Men all i am saying is until they start forcing all of us to buy Kia Rio with no airbag nobody should complain abeg.
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by underscore: 4:48pm On Mar 16, 2011
It's not only Kia. It's across all the auto manufacturers.

The cars shipped to Nigeria are of lower specs than the ones in Europe and America.

We got some Toyota Corollas, at my workplace, without airbags!
And that's the Toyotas people literarily worship - death boxes being sold at more exhorbitant prices than the ones sold in the UK and US with way lower specifications/features!!!

The Standards Organisation of Nigeria has to step up its game!
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by Guyman02: 5:41pm On Mar 16, 2011
verbena:

sleek reek, all i am saying is the government cannot ban them from bringing in cars without airbags as even in civilized countries airbags are not a must have in cars(see my earlier post for examples). what people forget is in America no shipping and clearing costs involved so the cost price of one rio is at least 600,000 naira less than in Nigeria and they roughly cost the same in both places (base Rio $11000 and N1.8m) . Those expenses have to be taken from somewhere and in a car like a Rio that has nothing thats all there is to take out. All im saying is if u want airbags save more money, if you think that its a good deal buy. if they put airbags in kia and still pay all the shipping costs the car would be 2.5 - 2.6 then who go buy. men think like we educated, until we start assembling these cars here, cars would either come ill equipped or over priced so u need to think about that.[/b]Besides its not like the government is forcing you to buy a kia and [b]kia themselves sell Rios with airbags so if u want buy that one for 500k more.

To be honest if everybody in Nigeria got their licenses by taking a driving test like civilized people and obeyed traffic signs wede be a lot safer. People drive the opposite direction on one way roads, drive in between roads and beat traffic lights(when lasma no they) and then same people talking bout airbags. Men all i am saying is until they start forcing all of us to buy Kia Rio with no airbag nobody should complain abeg.

What about the N10B buses ordered from China by Nigeria Labour congress are they going to be fitted with air bags? Our porthole filled roads need airbags.
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:43pm On Mar 16, 2011
[b]K[/b]illing [b]I[/b]n [b]A[/b]ction! please beware.

Way to go; buy a very good fairly used car from the US (less than 20k miles); use carfax to check its history; use for a maximum of 4yrs; fling it and buy another one. That is the only way to get value for your money and wouldn't have to worry about mechanics.
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by SleekReek(m): 6:03pm On Mar 16, 2011
Read a post in Naira Land on a similar topic,it goes like this:

Kia has a sounds like the igbo word tufia, kwa!,which means God forbid cheesy
Re: How Kia Motors Endangers Lives In Nigeria. by ikeyman00(m): 8:44pm On Mar 16, 2011
@@@@

for those 2 talking trash up there i feel ur pain and i make no appology cool

if una like talk swahil hahha i no send una

air bag??

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Car Repair Safety Rules You Should Not Overlook / Who Says you can’t Replace A Deployed Airbag - kingreign Just Did / We Will Seize Vehicles That Drive Against Traffic Until End Of Christmas - FRSC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.