Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,811,997 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:40 AM

Middlemen - A Menace To Modern Agriculture - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Middlemen - A Menace To Modern Agriculture (458 Views)

What's the effect of induction motor in modern agriculture? / How To Get Rid Of Supplier / Middlemen In Poultry Hatchery And DOC Business / In Defense Of Agricultural Middlemen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Middlemen - A Menace To Modern Agriculture by Emmafly(m): 6:30pm On Nov 08, 2020
Dear all, I am creating this topic because of the experiences of farmers in the hands of the so-called middlemen who planted/reared nothing but yet go to farms to buy agricultural outputs at ridiculous prices, not even considering the amount of labour, time and finance including sacrifices that the farmer relentlessly and patiently put in before getting such outputs. Most farmers suffer heavy losses during outbreak of diseases, most plant without even harvesting a single basket, but yet this heartless middlemen will come to your farm and buy the hard-earned successful outputs at a ridiculous price.
The most agonizing thing is that they will go out there to the market and sell it at twice/ thrice the cost price and tell end users that it's expensive right from the farm. These end users will in turn be looking at the farmers thinking they are billionaires.
They have the most strictest group in the name of union and will milk any Farmer dry if he/she wants to join.
I mostly see farmers looking haggard while these middlemen are the ones eating the farmers wealth.
The purpose of this thread is to discuss our experiences and find a way forward as this is one major reason why people stop going into farming.

For me, I am pained and thinking of a way out. But the littlest thing I am doing as a crop farmer is to do dry season ugu vegetable farming. With this, those middlemen will be the ones competing for the little my farm is producing.
I am also thinking of how to join their union this dry season as I will be happily welcomed because of what I have to offer.
Also I am looking at how to create a market online this dry season that will sustain me during the rainy season.

I am looking forward to hearing from a middleman why they are doing this wicked act.
So middlemen come and defend yourselves.

Emmanuel- 08183549869
Re: Middlemen - A Menace To Modern Agriculture by Cutehector(m): 6:48pm On Nov 08, 2020
Wahala for farmer wey no wan sell him product to middle man. Dey wait for retail consumer to buy one by one.
Re: Middlemen - A Menace To Modern Agriculture by tobechi74: 7:12pm On Nov 08, 2020
Farmers should form their own union

1 Like

Re: Middlemen - A Menace To Modern Agriculture by amerengues(m): 8:11pm On Nov 08, 2020
I can easily identify with you as I share your pains. It is no longer funny as middlemen take the center stage in price decision.

However, the big question is, can farmers do without middlemen? If yes, how feasible?

My candid advice for most farmers is to treat marketing important as equal as they treat production. I cannot sell to middleman, I would rather create my own market by bridging this gap. You can eliminate them if you know your onions. Begin to channel your energy towards marketing before harvest.

I share your concern.
Re: Middlemen - A Menace To Modern Agriculture by Emmafly(m): 6:33pm On Nov 09, 2020
amerengues:
I can easily identify with you as I share your pains. It is no longer funny as middlemen take the center stage in price decision.

However, the big question is, can farmers do without middlemen? If yes, how feasible?

My candid advice for most farmers is to treat marketing important as equal as they treat production. I cannot sell to middleman, I would rather create my own market by bridging this gap. You can eliminate them if you know your onions. Begin to channel your energy towards marketing before harvest.

I share your concern.

The big problem is that farmers are only value creators and not value adders. Farmers should try to look at avenues to add value to their output in any way possible.
I also think preservation of produce goes a long way too. Like for me, out of experience, I will channel my resources to agro outputs that can be preserved when there is glut or low price.
Re: Middlemen - A Menace To Modern Agriculture by amerengues(m): 7:15pm On Nov 09, 2020
Very correct!

Emmafly:

The big problem is that farmers are only value creators and not value adders. Farmers should try to look at avenues to add value to their output in any way possible.
I also think preservation of produce goes a long way too. Like for me, out of experience, I will channel my resources to agro outputs that can be preserved when there is glut or low price.

(1) (Reply)

Cashew/soya Beans Suppliers Are Needed / Biblical Law On Open Grazing..... / Bittergourd Harvest, My First Post On Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.