Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,785 members, 7,817,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:52 AM

EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations (20674 Views)

Burnt Police Post In Oregun, Lagos After Mob Attack (Video) / Katsina Government Deducts 3% Of Worker Salaries To Rebuild Burnt Central Market / MC Oluomo Inspects Burnt Police Station In Oshodi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by Islie: 8:58am On Nov 11, 2020
Nigerian lenders will rebuild new fewer than 44 police stations burnt across the country by hoodlums during the #End- SARS crisis that rocked the nation a few weeks ago, New Telegraph learnt yesterday.

An authoritative source said that although like most businesses, the banking industry is still reeling from the massive losses it suffered during the crisis, as many branches and hundreds of Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) were vandalised and looted, the lenders have taken the decision to rebuild some of the burnt police stations as part of their Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR).

This newspaper also gathered that apart from the plan to rebuild torched police stations, the lenders, under the aegis of the Bankers’ Committee, will soon launch a fresh Youth Empowerment Fund as part of measures to address rising unemployment in the country.

These two laudable initiatives (rebuilding of burnt police stations and the Youth Empowerment Fund), our source said, would be officially announced by the Bankers’ Committee by the end of this month. The #EndSARS crisis broke out on October 20, when security forces in Lagos opened fire on unarmed protesters at the Lekki toll gate, who had been staging a sit-in for about two weeks, calling for the dissolution of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), a notorious Police unit that had long been accused of extortion, torture and extra-judicial killings.

This sparked widespread social unrest that saw hoodlums torching many police stations and also wounding and killing several police officers across the country. Indeed, the damage inflicted on the law enforcement agents during the crisis was so massive that it led to the disappearance of police operatives from streets of major cities in some parts of the country for several days.

The Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Mohammed Adamu had, on October 30, said: “Available reports show that 22 police personnel were extra-judicially killed by some rampaging protesters and scores injured during the protests. Many of the injured personnel are in life-threatening conditions at the hospitals. “Two hundred and five police stations and formations, including other critical private and public infrastructure, were also damaged by a section of the protesters. Despite these unprovoked attacks, our police officers never resorted to use of unlawful force or shooting at the protesters as alleged in the report.”

Analysts point out that even before the #EndSARS protests, the Nigeria Police had been grappling with funding and manpower challenges. The source said: “Without adequate security, no businesses and individuals alike will feel safe. So, it is imperative that steps are urgently taken to restore the morale of police officers.”

She also noted that in order to address youth unemployment, which most analysts agree helped fuel the #EndSARS crisis, the Bankers’ Committee has, in recent years, been actively collaborating with the CBN to launch Youth Empowerment programmes. She particularly cited the Agri-Business Small and Medium Enterprise Investment Scheme (AGSMEIS) and the Creative Industry Financing Initiative (CIFI) as two programmes that are aimed at empowering the youth. New Telegraph recently reported that the CBN partnered with the Federal Government to launch the N75 billion the Nigerian Youth Investment Fund (N-YIF).

The N-YIF aims to financially empower Nigerian youths to generate at least 500,000 jobs between 2020 and 2023.
https://www.newtelegraphng.com/endsars-banks-to-rebuild-burnt-police-stations/

2 Likes

Re: EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by FarahAideed: 9:00am On Nov 11, 2020
Why should banks use depositors money to build police station for Buhari after problems caused by Buharis incompetence.. If Buhari had handled the problem of SARS brutality well from the onset no station will be burnt , if he didn't send soldiers needlessly to the Toll gate no station will be burnt !!! If he had insurance in place for his police then there will be no need for banks footing such bills ..

I expect a class action stopping Nigerian banks from using depositors money to fund govt incompetence!!!!!! Such Money will be better put to use providing micro credit lines for SMEs and bank customers

54 Likes 6 Shares

Re: EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by IbnBattuta1960: 9:02am On Nov 11, 2020
What is then the work of insurance companies?
Hnm, nothing dey work for this country sa

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by HAccord: 9:05am On Nov 11, 2020
FarahAideed:
Why should banks use depositors money to build police station for Buhari

Exactly my thought. Make dem no touch my money o. Na to withdraw all my money put am for BTC sure pass now.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by ATEAMS: 9:05am On Nov 11, 2020
At your absolute best, you still won’t be good enough for the wrong person. At your worst, you’ll still be worth it to the right person.

15 Likes

Re: EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by Merimental(m): 9:05am On Nov 11, 2020
involving financial institutions isn't much of a bad idea.

after building we may start seeing bank logos boldly carved on each station. notin goes 4 notin.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by pickatyou2: 9:05am On Nov 11, 2020
Now the banks and govt will now overcharge with stamp duties and unnecessary debit we do see always but this time it will be x2.
In summary we will be building back the stations for the same people that harass and brutalize us.

For your car tracking services and installation, check my signature

4 Likes

Re: EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by olaric(m): 9:05am On Nov 11, 2020
I am sure this will be funded from money excessively deducted from our accounts for SMS and other evil charges.

6 Likes

Re: EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by DontBullshitMe: 9:05am On Nov 11, 2020
Okay.
Re: EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by Nobody: 9:05am On Nov 11, 2020
cheesy.... Then who go pay for all the......... cool

Re: EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by Myhusband(m): 9:05am On Nov 11, 2020
what a useless country. I don't know when all these private organization will stop making this govt continue to be irresponsible by handling most of their responsibilities

2 Likes

Re: EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by lindareep: 9:05am On Nov 11, 2020
Another mumu headline to read today... grin

"Banks to rebuild police stations" shocked

Biko, no dull am...beard growth oil dey o! Lagos and Abuja (promo price is now N3,500)
Re: EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by DcleanJobHub(m): 9:06am On Nov 11, 2020
It is well

Get a professional business or company logo done for just 3k only and get all the following files of your logo;

1, High quality 3D logo
2, Transparent background logo for watermark
3, Plain logo for letterhead, business card, Id card etc
4, Pdf copy of your logo.
Call/WhatsApp me via the number on the image below.
The link to my WhatsApp is in my signature

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by gbadexy(m): 9:06am On Nov 11, 2020
It's in their best interest.

1 Like

Re: EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by AirBay: 9:06am On Nov 11, 2020
HAccord:

Exactly my thought. Make dem no touch my money o. Na to withdraw all my money put am for BTC sure pass now.

And when btc falls from 15k to 9k undecided grin

Na national hospital be that grin

1 Like

Re: EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by Okortor: 9:07am On Nov 11, 2020
Banks, CBN. all join.
We already know.
Re: EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by muykem: 9:07am On Nov 11, 2020
FarahAideed:
Bank can't spend depositors money in their care. They make use from their profits.

2 Likes

Re: EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by updatechange(m): 9:07am On Nov 11, 2020
As much as you might look around & feel there's no hope, especially with the negative things emanating from leaders.
Just look at yourself, you are alive. Leave everything else n 1st thank God for life. Then think of a way forward for yourself 1st, before carrying others along

1 Like

Re: EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by Nobody: 9:07am On Nov 11, 2020
With our #50 stamp duty fees?
Re: EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by Hndrrxxx(m): 9:07am On Nov 11, 2020
Why banks

Now I see why they are working together to Freeze innocent citizens accounts undecided undecided

Dammn
Oppressors everywhere fr naija embarassed
Re: EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by atobs4real(m): 9:07am On Nov 11, 2020
Why wasting our deposit on this people. Dem no get money in?
Re: EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by Sijo01(f): 9:08am On Nov 11, 2020
Does that mean the properties were not insured
Re: EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by Ritapearlydove(f): 9:08am On Nov 11, 2020
Money is controlled by banks. Banks are controlled by government. Therefore the government controls money. The people are controlled WITH money.

1 Like

Re: EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by mide8989: 9:08am On Nov 11, 2020
Nice.
Let them give back to the society at least they have been over-charging us for long.

In other news, join my telegram channel for daily basketball tips of average 1.86 odds that is delivering very well. We lost only twice in the last 14 days.

Today's game to be posted soon

Check my signature
Re: EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by Nobody: 9:08am On Nov 11, 2020
Myhusband:
what a useless country. I don't know when all these private organization will stop making this govt continue to be irresponsible by handling most of their responsibilities

.... cool Una dey destroy public and private properties and then expect Government to rebuild them ba angry Nonsense na una bank account go rebuild dem through Bank Charges grin grin grin

Besides ! The banks have funds meant for CSR. cool cool cool

Oyaaa ! Receive this slap angry

3 Likes

Re: EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by highyo: 9:08am On Nov 11, 2020
I keep saying Nigeria is like a season movies. and in all these some people are still asking for second phase of ENDSARS protests

Now Banks are To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations, and we are to give the bank the money to rebuild the burnt police station, from 100Naira to 500naira deducted from each and everyone account . now who are the one suffering the consequence ?
the government might not even spend a penny in rebuilding these vandalized properties, all the will do is to increase the taxes and also increase high cost of living so as to get back what they have lost.
I know all these will happened in the end of all
we are shouting end sars and police reformation, and hoodlums takes that advantage by killing police, burning down stations, and destroying peoples properties.
do you all think the government will be moved by all these? the only solution is every youth to unite and get our PVC to fight these government

not to start thinking of second phase of Protest, or else Book Haram and Herds Men will be the one to hijack the next protest and that will be worse

1 Like

Re: EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by Nobody: 9:08am On Nov 11, 2020
HAccord:

Poor man's thinking. The money being made from people that really matter would go into the reconstruction.

If you have a business, your first point of call should be providing security for it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by TOPCRUISE(m): 9:08am On Nov 11, 2020
It's easy to arrest those involved in burning police stations, looting private properties and hoodlums distrupting and attacking the endsars protesters since some of their heist are all over the internet. But our clueless and foolish government are hell-bent freezing the accounts of endSARS promoters and campaigners.
Re: EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by OmoManU: 9:08am On Nov 11, 2020
FarahAideed:

are you people just stupid with this Buhari obsession, can't u reason??

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: EndSARS: Banks To Rebuild Burnt Police Stations by rocknation62(m): 9:09am On Nov 11, 2020
Make dem re-build am we go burn am,burn the banks wey build am.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Rhodes-Vivour: Some Supreme Court Decisions Don't Make Sense Anymore / 2023: Atiku, Peter Obi Gave Victory As Donation To Tinubu – Soyinka / Female Suicide Bomber Kills 7, Injures Many In Maiduguri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.