Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,752 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:22 AM

These African Presidents Has Spent More Than 30 Years On Their Seat - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / These African Presidents Has Spent More Than 30 Years On Their Seat (1919 Views)

Buhari Spent More Than $19bn Cost Of Dangote Refinery On Non-functional Ones / FG Has Spent $5bn In Fighting Poverty – Sadiya Farouq / Top 5 Beautiful Daughters Of African Presidents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

These African Presidents Has Spent More Than 30 Years On Their Seat by Juleh01: 12:46pm On Nov 11, 2020
Many times Africa has been dubbed as an 'old continent'. This is because of the many old and odd practices in the continent, both in nature and governance. In the list of the world's 20 longest serving leaders who has held powers, Africa boast of at least 10.

We take a look at some of the oldest serving presidents on the continent.
Power is addictive and some times, this addiction might never be part of a good thing. Some of these leaders the people love them for their bravery, national development, commitment to the people and altruism.

Here is a rundown of the continent's leaders who have spent not less than 30 years on the throne.

1. Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo -Equatorial Guinea (1979 - Present) 41 Yearre-elected7 years old Obiang seized power in 1979 coup from his uncle (Francisco Macias Nguema), who was later prosecuted and executed by firing squad for mass genocide, public looting and treason. Obiang since August 1979 has been in power and has overseen the country's emergence as an important oil producer.

In 1982, the country nominally returned to civilian rule with the enactment of a slightly less authoritarian constitution. He was at first elected as a seven year term president; he was the only candidate thou. In 1989, he also stood unopposed and was reelected as the president.
In 1996, other political parties were allowed to participate, he also won the election.

In 2002 and 2009, he was re-elected for a third and fourth term respectively with large percent of the total vote casted. The government announced on 28 April 2016 that Obiang had won the election by an overwhelming margin, as expected.

2. Paul Biya - Cameroon (1982 - Present) 38 Years
The 87 year old Paul Biya took over in 1982 from President Ahmadou Ahidjo and has won a series of elections, most recently a 2018 vote that his opponents called fraudulent. After the rift between him and his successor (Ahidjo) who fled to France on exile, Biya brought forward a presidential election which was slated for 1985. He ran unopposed and won 99.98% of the vote.

He won by a landslide in 1985 and 1988 after CNU was transformed into the Cameroon People's Democratic Movement. 1990. In 1992, according to official results, Biya won the first multiparty presidential election, held in October with about 40% of the vote. In October, 1997, the election was boycotted by the main opposition parties and Biya was re-elected with 92.6 percent of the vote.

Biya won another seven year term in 2004 after the opposition alleged fraud. Also in 2008, the National Assembly made a significant changes to the constitution which allowed the removal of the term limits, so he can run for as long as the people wishes. The change also provided for the President to enjoy immunity from prosecution for his actions as President after leaving office.

3. Yoweri Museveni – Uganda (1986 - Present) 34 Years
President Yoweri Museveni has been at the helm of Uganda’s government since the toppling of Idi Amin and Milton Obote (January, 1986). The first democratic election saw Museveni defeat Paul Ssemogerere of the Democratic Party, who contested the election as a candidate for the "Inter-party forces coalition", and the upstart candidate Kibirige Mayanja. Museveni won with 75.5 percent of the vote from a turnout of 72.6 percent of eligible voters.

Also, in 2001, Museveni won the presidential elections by a substantial majority. His only real challenger was his former friend and personal physician Kizza Besigy. In 2006, his candidacy for presidency sparked criticism as he had said he was running for the last time in 2001.

The 23 February 2006 elections were Uganda's first multi-party elections in 25 years and were seen as a test of its democratic credentials. Museveni won by 59% ahead of his opponent. He was re-elected for the fourth and fifth time in 2011 and 2016 respectively.

4. Idriss Déby – Chad (1990 - Present) 30 Years
Idriss Déby took over Chad’s presidency in 1990 after a rift formed between him and the then-president Hissene Habré. He has been re-elected for the majority of votes every five years since then.

Against the public outcry, in June 2005, a successful referendum was held to eliminate a two-term constitutional limit, which enabled Déby to run again in 2006. More than 77% of voters approved which enabled him to run for presidency in 2006 while opposition boycotted the poll.

The youths are the leaders of tomorrow, only when the country has provided means where they can take the control of the system. Absolute power corrupts and we can assume that such is the situation in many African countries, where old ideas are still being enforced by people who had been in power for long. I believe it is time they breed the youths and give them a chance also to bring new initiatives for national development.

SOURCE: https://www.operanewsapp.com/ng/en/share/detail?news_id=c56f331acdb4351bbcbffe79ca2b8b80&news_entry_id=s7e611be0201111en_ng&open_type=tanscoded&request_id=news_fc262455-7fea-4551-961d-83443abf1d78&from=news

Mynd44, Lalasticlala

Re: These African Presidents Has Spent More Than 30 Years On Their Seat by YoonSung57: 12:50pm On Nov 11, 2020
its now their father's throne

1 Like

Re: These African Presidents Has Spent More Than 30 Years On Their Seat by dawnomike(m): 12:51pm On Nov 11, 2020
Sign of backwardness
Re: These African Presidents Has Spent More Than 30 Years On Their Seat by mide8989: 12:52pm On Nov 11, 2020
Africans wants to stay in power for life.

'PRESIDENTS' on the throne lol. grin

In other news, join my telegram channel for daily basketball tips of average 1.86 odds that is delivering very well. We lost only twice in the last 14 days.

Today's game has been posted

Check my signature

1 Like

Re: These African Presidents Has Spent More Than 30 Years On Their Seat by kingsavage: 12:52pm On Nov 11, 2020
Still yet their countries are still shitholes.... they couldn't use it to transform their countries like Lee Kuan yew did... it s only to enrich themselves and families with power that they are good at..
African apes
Re: These African Presidents Has Spent More Than 30 Years On Their Seat by RighteousSlawor: 12:53pm On Nov 11, 2020
Damnnn niggurrr... Praise God! Power is truely sweet and addictive. But earthly power without my sky daddy is useless. As u are in power, make sure u reconcile with my precious daddy. Halleluyah!
Re: These African Presidents Has Spent More Than 30 Years On Their Seat by tyup(m): 12:58pm On Nov 11, 2020
While a Nigga man like me wish I can organize a successful military coup for like 15years and forcefully install real time infrastructural development and Beauty to my Dear country

A wise Ijaw old man once told me if only the Leaders then the Likes of Zik and Awolowo were not selfish and allowed The Brits colonized us for bout 30 - 40 more years, Nigeria would have been a pride. These old fools up here have wasted 3 decades with nothing good to show for it in their respective countries

what a cursed continent indeed sad
Re: These African Presidents Has Spent More Than 30 Years On Their Seat by Oyinlampy(f): 12:59pm On Nov 11, 2020
Old leaders with old and outdated ideas
Re: These African Presidents Has Spent More Than 30 Years On Their Seat by thatsleepboy1: 1:00pm On Nov 11, 2020
Power they say is the greatest thing that a man can achieve in his lifetime but the ultimate power belongs to GOD and his SON JESUS CHRIST
Nigeria was indeed lucky not until Buharia came to power and now his kinsmen gonna rule for 600yrs cos they're born to rule.
Re: These African Presidents Has Spent More Than 30 Years On Their Seat by Rugaria: 1:13pm On Nov 11, 2020
Nigeria has no serious foreign policy goals otherwise Cameroon and equitorial guinea should be having stooges imposed by nigeria as presidents by now. The two presidents there are very unpopular both locally and internationally, very corrupt with little to show for all their years in power that any coup sponsored by the Nigerian intelligence agencies will be celebrated by the locals. Such actions would have helped nigeria keep bakassi, helped Nigeria make more money through favourable oil deals in Equitorial Guinea etc. But then Nigerian military officials reached all sorts of sickening agreements with the western world between 1966 to 1971which has handcapped the country, especially, as it regards rspecting the French and the British spheres of influence in Africa. This is why these dictators flourish at Nigeria expense as was the case with bakassi.
Re: These African Presidents Has Spent More Than 30 Years On Their Seat by lamentor78(m): 2:20pm On Nov 11, 2020
I case my rest
Re: These African Presidents Has Spent More Than 30 Years On Their Seat by spy24(m): 2:50pm On Nov 11, 2020
The problem of Africa is education

Check all this countries very well their level of education will be very low

1 Like

Re: These African Presidents Has Spent More Than 30 Years On Their Seat by CodeTemplar: 2:55pm On Nov 11, 2020
They have concluded in their dark hearts that no one else can do better. It takes a spirit of evil to have that mindset.

1 Like

Re: These African Presidents Has Spent More Than 30 Years On Their Seat by izuch(m): 3:10pm On Nov 11, 2020
Till death does them part cheesy
Re: These African Presidents Has Spent More Than 30 Years On Their Seat by Canvass: 3:18pm On Nov 11, 2020
You missed the Eyadema Dynasty in Togo. From Gnassingbe Eyadema to Faure Eyadema, from 1967-2005 and 2005-present. Look closer and you'll see the signatures of the French and Portuguese on the face of these regimes.
Re: These African Presidents Has Spent More Than 30 Years On Their Seat by Racoon(m): 3:19pm On Nov 11, 2020
Not that their endless monarchical reigns have made Africa a better place but instead have left it thoroughly backward continent.

Re: These African Presidents Has Spent More Than 30 Years On Their Seat by updatechange(m): 3:26pm On Nov 11, 2020
Aha... Why Dem no kuku ma turn the name of the country to their surname abi now..? undecided
Re: These African Presidents Has Spent More Than 30 Years On Their Seat by Racoon(m): 3:29pm On Nov 11, 2020
Not Gonna Give It Up" -By Peter Tosh

[Chorus:]
I'm not gonna give it up, I'm not goin'
I'm not gonna give it up, I'm not goin'
I will be fighting, I've got to be fighting
I will be fighting, Til Africa and Africans are free

-1).I said that I been up there
And I've seen poverty beyond compare
I know slave drivers just don't care
They just don't care

-2).Africa's the richest place
But it has the poorest race
And to me it's just a disgrace
Just a disgrace

-3).Africans don't wait too long
We gotta fight 'cause it's not wrong
Won't you join in and sing this song
Sing this song

-4).To be poor it's a hurtful pain
Livin inna poverty it's a burning shame
Help yourself 'cause man you're not lame
You are not lame.
Re: These African Presidents Has Spent More Than 30 Years On Their Seat by Juleh01: 3:29pm On Nov 11, 2020
updatechange:
Aha... Why Dem no kuku ma turn the name of the country to their surname abi now..? undecided

Lol....hahahhahahah
Re: These African Presidents Has Spent More Than 30 Years On Their Seat by Golan007: 3:38pm On Nov 11, 2020
Wetin come happen?

Shebi Trump dey try am small small and una dey support am.
Re: These African Presidents Has Spent More Than 30 Years On Their Seat by GallantDuke(m): 3:43pm On Nov 11, 2020
They want die there
Re: These African Presidents Has Spent More Than 30 Years On Their Seat by GeneralStan(m): 3:55pm On Nov 11, 2020
Africa Needs to Wake up!!!
Re: These African Presidents Has Spent More Than 30 Years On Their Seat by Lawdis(m): 4:39pm On Nov 11, 2020
...and still they have nothing to offer

they're always afraid to leave the office due to the level of the crimes they've committed while in power, therefore they want to die there to avoid prosecution.....

and they hate to see/hear that their successor is better than them

Re: These African Presidents Has Spent More Than 30 Years On Their Seat by lkillbrokehoes: 5:58pm On Nov 11, 2020
Only in Africa
Re: These African Presidents Has Spent More Than 30 Years On Their Seat by Soulsymbol99: 8:51pm On Nov 11, 2020
This is what Obasanjo wanted 2 try,bt naija is jst too big 4 such nonsense undecided
Re: These African Presidents Has Spent More Than 30 Years On Their Seat by djflexcy: 9:58pm On Nov 11, 2020
Have been to Equatorial Guinea I can tell you that no body messes with Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo, is first son is the VP

(1) (Reply)

They Are Sending Northern Soldiers To The South So As To Keep Power 2023 / FG Pays N800M To Bandits For Release Of Niger School students and staffs / Buhari Told To Release Nnamdi Kanu, Sunday Igboho To Southern Governors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.