Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,690 members, 7,820,403 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:19 PM

Ruling On Working As A Lawyer - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ruling On Working As A Lawyer (6184 Views)

Ruling On Working For The Crowdsourcing Website / Ruling On A Woman Putting Her Picture On Social Media / Working As A Lawyer In The Islamic Judicial System. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by Realismailakabir: 12:21am On Nov 13, 2020
Question:

I graduated from law school a few years ago and I am now working – part-time – as a lawyer. At the time when I entered this college I did not have proper understanding of my religion, then after I graduated I found out that judging according to something other than that which Allaah has revealed is a major sin. I found out that many laws in my country go against the laws of Allaah and transgress His sacred limits. I wondered whether it is permissible for me in this situation to work as a lawyer.

Praise be to Allah.

Working as a lawyer is not haraam in and of itself, because it is not judging according to something other than that which Allaah has revealed, rather it is acting as a person’s deputy or representative in cases of dispute, which is a permissible kind of deputation or representation. But the lawyer must be careful and make sure of the case before getting involved in it. If it is a claim regarding some right that has been taken away in a wrong manner, then it is permissible for you to argue on his behalf to have his rights restored to him and the wrongdoing stopped. This comes under the heading of cooperating in righteousness and piety. But if the case involves taking away people’s rights and transgressing against them, then it is not permissible for you to act as his representative, because that comes under the heading of cooperating in sin and transgression. Allaah has issued a warning to those who cooperate in this sin, as He says (interpretation of the meaning): 

“Help you one another in Al‑Birr and At‑Taqwa (virtue, righteousness and piety); but do not help one another in sin and transgression. And fear Allaah. Verily, Allaah is Severe in punishment”

[al-Maa'idah 5:2].

To give you more peace of mind, we will quote fatwas from some of the scholars about this issue: 

1 – Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked: 

What is the Islamic ruling on working as a lawyer? 

He replied: 

I do not know of anything wrong with working as a lawyer, because it is acting as a person’s representative in claims and defence, so long as the lawyer seeks to do what is right and does not deliberately tell lies, as applies to all cases of representing or acting on behalf of others.  

Fataawa Islamiyyah (3/5050). 

2 –Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan (may Allaah preserve him) said: 

What is your opinion on my working as a lawyer, where I appear before the civil courts in order to defend civil and commercial cases in which there may be riba involved? 

He replied: 

Undoubtedly there is nothing wrong with one person acting on behalf of another in cases of dispute, but it depends on the type of dispute: 

1.If the case is well founded and the representative is basing his case on facts that he knows, and there is no perjury, lying or trickery involved, and he is representing the person in order to present his proof and evidence as to the truth of his claim or to defend him, there is nothing wrong with that.

2.But if the dispute involves some false claim or speaking on behalf of someone who is in the wrong, then this is not permissible. Allaah said to His Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) (interpretation of the meaning): “so be not a pleader for the treacherous” [al-Nisa’ 4:105]. We all know that if the case is a just one and he does not use any kind of lying or perjury, then there is nothing wrong with that, especially if the person is weak and cannot defend himself or establish his claim to what is his right. Appointing someone who is stronger than him to represent him is permitted in sharee’ah. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “But if the debtor is of poor understanding, or weak, or is unable to dictate for himself, then let his guardian dictate in justice” [al-Baqarah 2:282]. Acting on behalf of a weak person in order to ensure that he gets what is rightfully his or to ward off wrongdoing from him is a good thing. But if it is other than that, i.e., helping a person who is in the wrong or defending wrongdoing or using false evidence, and the deputy or representative knows that the case is basically wrong, such as representing a person with regard to something haraam such as riba, then it is not permissible. It is not permissible for a Muslim to act as a deputy or representative with regard to falsehood or to act as a lawyer in transactions that involve riba, because then he is helping in the consumption of riba and so the curse applies to him.

Al-Muntaqa min Fataawa al-Fawzaan (3/288, 289). 

Secondly: 

The fact that you live in a country that is not ruled in accordance with that which Allaah has revealed and is rather ruled by man-made laws, does not mean that it is haraam to work as a lawyer if the intention is to attain rights and ward off wrongs. The person who has been wronged is compelled by necessity to refer to these laws in order to attain his rights, otherwise people would wrong one another with impunity and chaos would overtake the society. But if the law gives him more than he is entitled to, then it is haraam for him to take it. He should only take what he is entitled to. If he refers for judgement to these laws in order to attain his rights and ward off wrongdoing, there is no sin on the one who has been wronged or on the lawyer who represents him in a dispute by referring to these laws for judgement. Rather the sin falls on the one who replaced the laws of Allaah with these laws and forced the people to refer to them for judgement. Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) referred to this in his book al-Turuq al-Hukmiyyah (p. 185). 

Hence we do not advise you to leave this profession, rather we advise you to carry on working in it, and to continue to advance by reading books and studying them, and learning from senior lawyers, for people need trustworthy lawyers who will defend them and restore their rights. 

Your aim should always be to support and help those who have been wronged. There are glad tidings for you in the words of the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Whoever walks with one who has been wronged until he establishes his rights, Allaah will make his feet firm on the Siraat on the Day when feet slip.” Narrated by Ibn Abi’l-Dunya and classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Targheeb. 

And Allaah knows best.

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/75613/is-it-permissible-to-work-as-a-lawyer

2 Likes

Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by Kherdija(f): 7:56am On Nov 13, 2020
Masha Allah,may the Almighty rewards to you.

5 Likes

Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by Barka00(m): 9:23am On Nov 13, 2020

56 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by Decimus: 9:33am On Nov 13, 2020
Wahala for Malo wey read Law.
Na must to carry ruler go court.

19 Likes

Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by Albert0011(m): 9:35am On Nov 13, 2020
Na everything Una dey get ruling for shocked

24 Likes

Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by Jabioro: 9:36am On Nov 13, 2020
You just wasted money,time and the knowledge itself..for nonsense

14 Likes

Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by chillychill(f): 9:36am On Nov 13, 2020
Jazakumllahu kayran

4 Likes

Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by DryMouth: 9:38am On Nov 13, 2020
Everything get ruling!
Next thing we will see will be "RULING ON GOING TO TOILET".

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by Patrioticman007(m): 9:39am On Nov 13, 2020
Barka00:
I just read nonsense, lord jesus forgive me

Jesus son of Mary was against your usury (interest) based systems.

Jesus son of Mary was against Lies,which you pastors preach as truths today (gospel of fake news).

Your Islamaphobia will only take you away from the truth down to the den of robbers of truth, ( gospel of materialism & fake news ).
I will only pray Allah gives you guidance to see the truth, for you can't compare light to darkness.

12 Likes

Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by Lehksyen4life(m): 9:40am On Nov 13, 2020
Masha Allah

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by NeoWanZaeed(m): 9:43am On Nov 13, 2020
You this lukgaf abi what's your name ..

You have started your confusions again.

Stop copying and paste. You won't listen..

Now people would clearly misunderstood what Islamic rulings on lawyer is..

The sheikhs are answering the questions inline with Saudi Arabia... They rule with Sharia Law there..

No Muslim who understands Islam would ever become a lawyer

1. Lawyer came into existence as cause of democracy and other man made law
2. A lawyer crams man made law
3. A lawyer defends people based on man made law

4. Ruling or judging with man-made law is SHIRK

Abi which of our scholars past or present studies law and become a lawyer...

The Mr mumayiun alaro.. it's evident and clear that one is not a Muslim.

He's reeked with Shirk and bidah.. he's defending his dolal still

4 Likes

Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by kingmurainah(m): 9:44am On Nov 13, 2020
Jazak Allah

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by ambitiouschap17: 9:48am On Nov 13, 2020
NeoWanZaeed:

The sheikhs are answering the questions inline with Saudi Arabia... They rule with Sharia Law there..

Okay
Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by motayoayinde: 9:54am On Nov 13, 2020
Barka00:
I just read nonsense, lord jesus forgive me

FIRST, THAT A LAWYER SHOULD BE GOD FEARING AND DEFEND THE OPPRESSED
IS NOT NONSENSE.

SECOND, JESUS CANNOT FORGIVE YOUR SINS, ONLY ALLAH (GOD) CAN.

4 Likes

Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by Barka00(m): 9:54am On Nov 13, 2020
Patrioticman007:

for you can't compare light to darkness.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by fatymore(f): 9:54am On Nov 13, 2020
NeoWanZaeed:

Do your own thread now....
Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by sunshineV(f): 9:55am On Nov 13, 2020
na ment
Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by rowland545(m): 9:56am On Nov 13, 2020
DryMouth:
Everything get ruling!

I think u missed out..there is already a ruling on that..

I'm telling u ...there is ruling on everything... It should be called religion of ruling

7 Likes

Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by NeoWanZaeed(m): 9:57am On Nov 13, 2020
fatymore:

Do your own thread now....

You kuku no serious n ti e.. better get serious. The only thing you would be asked about after death is ISLAM ACCORDING TO HOW PROPHET PRACTICED IT

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by fatymore(f): 9:58am On Nov 13, 2020
NeoWanZaeed:

You kuku no serious n ti e.. better get serious. The only thing you would be asked about after death is ISLAM ACCORDING TO HOW PROPHET PRACTICED IT

That's why you are my husband...teach me..

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by sunshineV(f): 10:00am On Nov 13, 2020
NeoWanZaeed:

what about christians
Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by Coochyking: 10:15am On Nov 13, 2020
until i see ruling on stealing, pedophiles, homosexual, rape, drugs, lies, in which your top Muslims politicians are into and they obey such rulings, that's when I'll take y'all serious undecided

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by ThatFairGuy: 10:24am On Nov 13, 2020
DryMouth:
Everything get ruling!

Yes there's.
While nearing(before you enter) restroom, you have adhkar(supplication) to make,
you enter with left leg,
you don't talk while you are already inside(no invocation to Allah or remembrance),
you don't eat,
if the toilet isn't roofed you must avoid facing Qiblah,
clean up with your left hand,
you leaves the lavatory with your right leg outside first,
you supplicate again after you've left,
wash your hand well(sand or soap).

Do not defecate or pee under a tree, inside hole, road path, inside water, or anywhere it'll cause inconveniency to human.

As you do this, you're obeying your Lord and observing the Sunnah (deed) of The Holy Prophet, saving yourself from jin(devils) and human also saves from your harm.

Can you see the beauty of Islam.

Everything about life is touched. even the haircut and what to plait

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by jidxin(m): 10:45am On Nov 13, 2020
motayoayinde:

FIRST, THAT A LAWYER SHOULD BE GOD FEARING AND DEFEND THE OPPRESSED
IS NOT NONSENSE.

SECOND, JESUS CANNOT FORGIVE YOUR SINS, ONLY ALLAH (GOD) CAN.
please who is allah

3 Likes

Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by jidxin(m): 10:47am On Nov 13, 2020
ThatFairGuy:

Yes there's.
While nearing(before you enter) restroom, you have adhkar(supplication) to make,
you enter with left leg,
you don't talk while you are already inside(no invocation to Allah or remembrance),
you don't eat,

Do not defecate or pee under a tree, inside hole, road path, inside water, or anywhere it'll cause inconveniency to human.

no vex oooo but why all this occult practices

As you do this, you're obeying your Lord and observing the Sunnah (deed) of The Holy Prophet, saving yourself from jin(devils) and human also saves from your harm.

Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by ThatFairGuy: 10:58am On Nov 13, 2020
jidxin:
NOTHING OCCULTIC ABOUT THIS. THAT'S HOW YOU'LL ENJOY LIVING YOUR LIFE TO THE FULLEST. YOU CAN'T ADHERE STRICTLY TO THESE AND BE BE-WITCHABLE BY THE UNSEEN CREATURES WHO'RE MORE POWERFUL THAN HUMAN.
Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by ThatFairGuy: 11:00am On Nov 13, 2020
jidxin:
please who is allah
I'll like to also ask you, WHO'S GOD? Your response will help in answering your question
Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by motayoayinde: 11:10am On Nov 13, 2020
jidxin:
please who is allah

ALLAH IS THE ARABIC NAME FOR GOD.
THE ALMIGHTY CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSE AND ALL THAT THERE IS.

THE UNFATHOMABLY POWERFUL WHO HAS EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE IN HIS GRASP AND CONTROL.

THE SUPREMELY INTELLIGENT TO WHOM NOTHING COMES AS A SURPRISE.

THE GLORIOUS KING OF ALL WHOSE PRAISES THE ANGELS CHANT ENDLESSLY GOING ROUND HIS MIGHTY THRONE OF MAJESTY.

THE SENDER OF ALL PROPHETS FROM ADAM TO JESUS AND FINALLY, MUHAMMAD (saw) AS WARNERS TO MANKIND OF AN IMPENDING DAY OF JUDGEMENT.

THE DAY WHEN EVERY SOUL SHALL TESTIFY AS TO WHOM OR WHAT IT WORSHIPPED. STONE, WOOD, MAN OR THE ONE TRUE GOD.

GLORY BE TO HIM ALONE, THE EVERLASTING ONE WHO NEVER DIES.

5 Likes

Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by DryMouth: 11:40am On Nov 13, 2020
ThatFairGuy:

Yes there's.
you enter with left leg,
you don't eat,

Clowns!!!

1 Like

Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by Haines: 12:08pm On Nov 13, 2020
jidxin:
please who is allah

Thanks for your question
who is Allah? and Allah gave a reply

ٱللَّهُ لَآ إِلَٰهَ إِلَّا هُوَ ٱلْحَىُّ ٱلْقَيُّومُۚ لَا تَأْخُذُهُۥ سِنَةٌ وَلَا نَوْمٌۚ لَّهُۥ مَا فِى ٱلسَّمَٰوَٰتِ وَمَا فِى ٱلْأَرْضِۗ مَن ذَا ٱلَّذِى يَشْفَعُ عِندَهُۥٓ إِلَّا بِإِذْنِهِۦۚ يَعْلَمُ مَا بَيْنَ أَيْدِيهِمْ وَمَا خَلْفَهُمْۖ وَلَا يُحِيطُونَ بِشَىْءٍ مِّنْ عِلْمِهِۦٓ إِلَّا بِمَا شَآءَۚ وَسِعَ كُرْسِيُّهُ ٱلسَّمَٰوَٰتِ وَٱلْأَرْضَۖ وَلَا يَـُٔودُهُۥ حِفْظُهُمَاۚ وَهُوَ ٱلْعَلِىُّ ٱلْعَظِيمُ

Allah - there is no deity except Him, the Ever-Living, the Sustainer of [all] existence. Neither drowsiness overtakes Him nor sleep. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. Who is it that can intercede with Him except by His permission? He knows what is [presently] before them and what will be after them, and they encompass not a thing of His knowledge except for what He wills. His Kursi extends over the heavens and the earth, and their preservation tires Him not. And He is the Most High, the Most Great. Qur'an 2 v 255

1. Say, (O muhammad)"He is Allah, (the) One.

2. Allah-us-Samad [Allah the Self-Sufficient Master, Whom all creatures need, (He neither eats nor drinks)].      

3. He begets not, nor was He begotten. 

4. And there is none co-equal or comparable to Him." Qur'an 112 vs 1-4

In Islam, God (Arabic: Allāh,) is the absolute one, the all-powerful and all-knowing ruler of the universe, and the creator of everything in existence. Islam emphasizes that God is strictly singular (tawḥīd); unique (wāḥid); inherently One (aḥad);[1] and also all-merciful and omnipotent.[2] According to Islam, God is neither a material nor a spiritual being.[3] According to Islamic teachings, beyond the Throne and according to the Quran, "No vision can grasp him, but His grasp is over all vision: He is above all comprehension, yet is acquainted with all things."

In Islam there is only one Allah (God) and there are 99 names of that one God (al-ʾasmāʾ al-ḥusnā . meaning: "The best names"wink, each of which evokes a distinct attribute of God. All these names refer to Allah, the supreme and all-comprehensive God. Among the 99 names of God, the most familiar and frequent are "the All Merciful" (Ar-Raḥmān) and "the Especially Merciful" (Ar-Raḥīm).

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ruling On Working As A Lawyer by BigBizzy(m): 12:40pm On Nov 13, 2020
Hahahaha but begging for money on the road is allowed....make una go rest jor

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Mumayiun (most Dangerous Of The Enemy Of Muslims) / Ruling On Health Insurance And All Kind Of Insurance / The Master Of Memorizers: Abu Hurayrah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.