Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,282 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:20 AM

Sanwo Olu Unveils The First Locally Assembled Electric Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Sanwo Olu Unveils The First Locally Assembled Electric Car (564 Views)

Ezekiel Izuogu Produced Nigeria's First Locally Made Car (photos) / Hyundai Kona: Nigeria Unveils First Locally-Assembled Electric Car (Photos) / Governor Sanwo-Olu Unveils First Electric Car In Nigeria (Photos, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sanwo Olu Unveils The First Locally Assembled Electric Car by ceaser: 5:37pm On Nov 14, 2020
Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu on Friday, November 13, unveiled Nigeria’s first locally-assembled full electric car; aimed at reducing pressure on the use of petroleum.
Sanwo-Olu said at the unveiling in Lagos that the electric car was technology on display.

The Hyundai Kona car, manufactured by Stallion Group is 100 per cent electric and also comes with zero-emission; 482km driving range, and can be charged both at home as well as workplace.

“The future that we see is the future of technology and this is the technology that we are talking about.

“This is 21st Century technology that has been brought into our country.

“With the innovation of Hyundai Kona, we do not need to put the pressure on what is the pump price of oil again; what is the pump price of petroleum again.

Also Read: PDP accuses ‘bandits within APC’ for failure of Buhari’s administration in governance

“All the issues and fights that we are having about prices of petroleum going up; and the rest of it will be a thing of the past.

“This is a way to go, and it is the future that we are seeing now.

“This is the first electric car that we are seeing; and we as the government need to partner with them,” he said.

Governor of Lagos State, Mr. @jidesanwoolu in Ojo today at the unveiling of the first locally assembled Electric Car named: HYUNDAY KONA, gave an update of issues surrounding the Lagos Badagry Expressway which Lagos State Govt is working on. #ForAGreaterLagos @BadagryForum pic.twitter.com/tMU5ZERsIs

— Gawat Jubril A. (@Mr_JAGss) November 13, 2020

Sanwo-Olu said there was a need to create an enabling environment for the company to do well; so that it could employ a lot more youths.
The governor also said that with the unveiling of the Hyundai Kona electric car; youths would be employed and also empowered for greater opportunities.

According to him, the state government will partner with Ibile Oil and Gas; and other private organisations to create different charging points in the city; so that people will have where to charge the cars.

“For us, we see a renowned hope, for us we see a tomorrow coming today; for us we see and likewise believe in the Stallion dream,” the governor said.

Sanwo-Olu commended Stallion Group for believing in the Lagos and Nigeria dream; and also revamping the moribund asset located along Lagos-Badagry Expressway.

In his address, the Managing Director, the Stallion Group, Rohtagi Manish, said that the innovation was a step towards an eco-friendly green Lagos.
Manish said that the material used to assemble Nigeria’s First 100 per cent electric zero-emission car was mostly sourced from local resources.

The vehicle, when fully charged for 9hrs 35mins, can go a distance of 482km (the equivalent of Lagos to Warri) before it requires charging again.

[url]https://1stnews.com/sanwo-olu-unveils-first-locally-manufactured-electric-car-video/?utm_source=MadMimi&utm_medium=email&utm_content=%2A+Sanwo-Olu+unveils+first+locally-manufactured+electric+car+%28Video%29+%7C+26-year-old+man+defiles+7-year-old+girl+%7C+Presidency+denies+paying+N150k+salary+to+repentant+terrorists+%7C+Nigerians+hail+Davido%27s+new+album+-+A+Better+Time&utm_campaign=20201113_m160820420_%2A+Sanwo-Olu+unveils+first+locally-manufactured+electric+car+%28Video%29+%7C+26-year-old+man+defiles+7-year-old+girl+%7C+Presidency+denies+paying+N150k+salary+to+repentant+terrorists+%7C+Nigerians+hail+Davido%27s+new+album+-+A+Better+Time&utm_term=Watch[/url]

Re: Sanwo Olu Unveils The First Locally Assembled Electric Car by ceaser: 9:12pm On Nov 14, 2020
"According to him, the state government will partner with Ibile Oil and Gas; and other private organisations to create different charging points in the city; so that people will have where to charge the cars."

It's ironical though. "Oil and gas" to create charging points. That sounds self defeating except the charging stations will be powered by fossil fuel used by big generators too. Then Ibile Oil and Gas can still be in fossil fuel business.

It's a welcome development nonetheless.
Re: Sanwo Olu Unveils The First Locally Assembled Electric Car by sultaan(m): 12:43am On Nov 15, 2020
Let me see the VIN number before I believe this one. Anyway when it come to vehicle manufacturing in Nigeria it is all BS we have been telling ourselves these lies since Johnathan government.
Re: Sanwo Olu Unveils The First Locally Assembled Electric Car by 9icetoo(m): 11:24am On Nov 15, 2020
My issues with this:
1. It takes 9 hours 35 minutes to achieve a range of 485 kms. This does not factor in idling in lagos traffic
2. Have we made laws to accommodate electric vehicles? I ask because 1 yeye VIO or FRSC or even police officer will stop this electric vehicle to ask for the following non applicable items;
a. Engine number
b. Spare fan belt
c. Transmission oil and brake fluid
d. Coolant.
e. Where is your engine? (Trust me, it's possible)

3. Do we generate sufficient electricity to accommodate electric vehicles? Or are the owners going to be charging their vehicles on fossil fueled powered generators?

It's a step forward but we must also step up the game to meet up the requirements and demands of an electric vehicle.

Lastly, it's an assembly by Stallion group and not manufacture. Neither the electric motor nor the batteries or control systems were manufactured in Nigeria. The components were merely assembled here.

1 Like

Re: Sanwo Olu Unveils The First Locally Assembled Electric Car by CocoaOla: 1:37pm On Nov 15, 2020
Most Nigerians are olodo educated illiterate only fu c k ing they know

Electric cars are at their most efficient at slow speed. If you are low on charge the advice is to drop your speed so you don’t waste energy overcoming air resistance. When stopped an electric car consumes virtually no energy. So in some sense a traffic jam is the ideal environment for an Electric cars. I guess I would get double the range if I was driving at very low speed.

Electric cars last a lot longer in traffic because you’re not using any energy when you’re not moving (unlike a gas car, which uses fuel even while idling)

Once you step on brake electricity power is cut to drive motor.
their motor is not drawing from the battery when at standstill.

If any vehicles are going to have an issue with a major traffic jam, it’s gas cars.

1 Like

Re: Sanwo Olu Unveils The First Locally Assembled Electric Car by Kelvin30286063(m): 5:06am On Nov 16, 2020
Lol, hope he's ready to build charging stations cheesy
Re: Sanwo Olu Unveils The First Locally Assembled Electric Car by Kelvin30286063(m): 5:09am On Nov 16, 2020
CocoaOla:
Most Nigerians are olodo educated illiterate only fu c k ing they know

Electric cars are at their most efficient at slow speed. If you are low on charge the advice is to drop your speed so you don’t waste energy overcoming air resistance. When stopped an electric car consumes virtually no energy. So in some sense a traffic jam is the ideal environment for an Electric cars. I guess I would get double the range if I was driving at very low speed.

Electric cars last a lot longer in traffic because you’re not using any energy when you’re not moving (unlike a gas car, which uses fuel even while idling)

Once you step on brake electricity power is cut to drive motor.
their motor is not drawing from the battery when at standstill.

If any vehicles are going to have an issue with a major traffic jam, it’s gas cars.
This is true but I don't think anyone will argue that. It's basic science. China recently made an electric car that converts wind to charge the car. So as you speed around in your sport car, the battery is charging. The advert says you can practically leave your house with 10% battery and come back home fully charged.

(1) (Reply)

Migrating From A 2001 Camry To 2004 Or 05 Crv / I Need a Very Good Mercedes-benz Electrician In Lagos. / Tesco Powers into 2022 with the UK’s First Commercial Electric Articulated HGVs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.