Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,593 members, 7,812,936 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:00 PM

How Hackers Nearly Stole My Funds - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Hackers Nearly Stole My Funds (726 Views)

Who Has Used Payoneer Recently? Will I Get My Funds In My Gtbank Account Today? / How Late Ossy Ojukwu Saved His Boy Who Stole His $20,000 From Being Lynched / Kevin Ajenifuja: Dangote Drugged My Wife, Got Her Raped, Stole My Trade Secrets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Hackers Nearly Stole My Funds by Nobody: 4:26pm On Nov 16, 2020
Sometime in 2019 I had a bad experience where my GTBank card was used at a foreign location I had never been to. For some curious reason, I observe this has been happening to many other cards in Nigeria, for example here and here. The debit almost always comes from a foreign country and with signatures you don't understand. This taught me a lot of lessons about protecting my money and I developed a different strategy.

I created two accounts, a current and a savings account. I obtained an ATM card for the debit account, and always kept my money in current account. Then, anytime I need to use the ATM card, I just fund the savings from the current before use. So I make sure to always leave no more than 1000naira in the savings account.

Today, shortly after using my card on a food ordering website, I got a strange "ping" from a foreign entity for 1 Peruvian Sol (see screenshot). This looks like DIDI mobility, which is like Uber. I have never been to Peru or used my card in Peru. So, apparently, hackers at work and it looks like my card may have been compromised after use on that website. I don't want to mention the name of this food ordering website so I don't spoil their business, but please be careful with the places in which you use your card in Nigeria. Many of these websites have been silently hacked and laced with javascript codes which hijack the details you enter without your knowing. And always protect your money by not leaving it lying in the account tied to your ATM card.

Only God knows how much I would have lost this time. The last time I lost over N500,000.

The summary of this is that when these hackers use your card, they always "ping" it first with micropayments because they have a lot of cards and just run a script, so they can't know which card is active or not, or which will work or not. Once the micropayment passes, they have the courage to demand huge sums from the account. So, guys please be careful. Protect your money by having two accounts, watch out for micropayments too.

This card is now compromised and I will be going to the bank to change it.

Edit: Mentioning the name of the company is irrelevant. I have actually sent an email to them about the incident. Maybe there's something they can do about their site security. The last time this happened to me it was a different company, not this one. So it makes really no difference which company. Many sites in Nigeria have poor security and probably have their checkout pages laced with interception software. If it doesn't happen to you with company A, it is likely to happen to you with company B. What you should do is take personal care to protect your funds.

2 Likes

Re: How Hackers Nearly Stole My Funds by RedPhoenix: 4:30pm On Nov 16, 2020
Nonsense with half truths. Rather than mention the websites so the information will get to their administartors and they'll fix the glitch. You're here telling grandma tales.

1 Like

Re: How Hackers Nearly Stole My Funds by Kamdil: 4:32pm On Nov 16, 2020
That was how a hacker was trying to hack my bitcoin wallet not knowing I protected it with 2Factor Authenticator.

Na so I do am Ntoor

2 Likes

Re: How Hackers Nearly Stole My Funds by dawnomike(m): 4:45pm On Nov 16, 2020
Thanks for the eye-opener
Re: How Hackers Nearly Stole My Funds by GMBuhari: 5:02pm On Nov 16, 2020
I don't want to mention the name of this food ordering website

I stopped reading here , the decision not to mention that site is the most stupidest any sane person can do on the internet

You don't want to spoil their market, but you want many nigerians to loose money to them, if they have really rich people ordering on their websites those ones probably won't check their emails or account statement to look for error , oh also , the webpage may not even know their database has been compromised, by mentioning them you may be helping them and other customers

I am sorry but you are stupid

3 Likes

Re: How Hackers Nearly Stole My Funds by Takuruku4: 5:27pm On Nov 16, 2020
binghammer:
Sometime in 2019 I had a bad experience where my GTBank card was used at a foreign location I had never been to. For some curious reason, I observe this has been happening to many other cards in Nigeria, for example here and here. The debit almost always comes from a foreign country and with signatures you don't understand. This taught me a lot of lessons about protecting my money and I developed a different strategy.

I created two accounts, a current and a savings account. I obtained an ATM card for the debit account, and always kept my money in current account. Then, anytime I need to use the ATM card, I just fund the savings from the current before use. So I make sure to always leave no more than 1000naira in the savings account.

Today, shortly after using my card on a food ordering website, I got a strange "ping" from a foreign entity for 1 Peruvian Sol (see screenshot). This looks like DIDI mobility, which is like Uber. I have never been to Peru or used my card in Peru. So, apparently, hackers at work and it looks like my card may have been compromised after use on that website. I don't want to mention the name of this food ordering website so I don't spoil their business, but please be careful with the places in which you use your card in Nigeria. Many of these websites have been silently hacked and laced with javascript codes which hijack the details you enter without your knowing. And always protect your money by not leaving it lying in the account tied to your ATM card.

Only God knows how much I would have lost this time. The last time I lost over N500,000.

The summary of this is that when these hackers use your card, they always "ping" it first with micropayments because they have a lot of cards and just run a script, so they can't know which card is active or not, or which will work or not. Once the micropayment passes, they have the courage to demand huge sums from the account. So, guys please be careful. Protect your money by having two accounts, watch out for micropayments too.

This card is now compromised and I will be going to the bank to change it.
Oga boss,me na small money I need o just to buy food.

Thank you in advance.

0448924934..gtb.
Re: How Hackers Nearly Stole My Funds by Darkerberry: 7:27pm On Nov 16, 2020
OP thanks for sharing the info and tips.. I don't think you really have to mind ppl saying you should have mentioned the name of the food company.. the lesson is just to take note of those tips on keeping your money safe, it could happen from any other sites you visit and use your cards on.
Stay safe everyone.
Re: How Hackers Nearly Stole My Funds by Nobody: 8:27pm On Nov 16, 2020
Darkerberry:
OP thanks for sharing the info and tips.. I don't think you really have to mind ppl saying you should have mentioned the name of the food company.. the lesson is just to take note of those tips on keeping your money safe, it could happen from any other sites you visit and use your cards on.
Stay safe everyone.
That's exactly what I thought. Mentioning the name of the company is irrelevant. I have actually sent an email to them about the incident. Maybe there's something they can do about their site security. The last time this happened to me it was a different company, not this one. So it makes really no difference which company. Many sites in Nigeria have poor security and probably have their checkout pages laced with interception software.

1 Like

Re: How Hackers Nearly Stole My Funds by sammirano: 8:48pm On Nov 16, 2020
If your card canbe hacked because you used it on one website then you are running an unsecured account. No matter how distant or how small the transaction is, Imust authorise it. So if funds move out of my card without my approval,na the bank go pay.

1 Like

Re: How Hackers Nearly Stole My Funds by Darkerberry: 8:54pm On Nov 16, 2020
binghammer:

That's exactly what I thought. Mentioning the name of the company is irrelevant. I have actually sent an email to them about the incident. Maybe there's something they can do about their site security. The last time this happened to me it was a different company, not this one. So it makes really no difference which company. Many sites in Nigeria have poor security and probably have their checkout pages laced with interception software.

Yeah you did the best by notifying the company, you could disclose the name of the company to your closer contacts but coming online to do that isnt really necessary.

And also maybe you need to make sure you're visiting such sites that require payment info with a strong and active AV with browser protection.

(1) (Reply)

Spotless Skin Recipe Formulation Ebook / OPAC Refineries Produces First Set Of Refined Products / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.