Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,408 members, 7,815,895 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:28 PM

COVID-19 Vaccine Discovery Causes Petrol Price Increase - Sylva - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / COVID-19 Vaccine Discovery Causes Petrol Price Increase - Sylva (710 Views)

After Promising New Petrol Price, NNPCL Moves To Make Cooking Gas Cheaper / Petrol Price Increase: What Nigerians Should Know / FG To Reduce Petrol Price To ₦130 From ₦145 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

COVID-19 Vaccine Discovery Causes Petrol Price Increase - Sylva by NaijaMutant(f): 10:20pm On Nov 16, 2020
Nigeria’s fuel price hike caused by discovery of COVID-19 vaccine, says FG
Author: Wale Akinola

- Timipre Sylva, the minister of petroleum resources, has revealed the cause of increment in the petroleum price

- The minister attributed the increase in the fuel price to the discovery of COVID-19 vaccine

- Sylva made the disclosure in Aso Rock on Monday, November 16

PAY ATTENTION: Win a prize of N115,000, N75,000 or N38,000: participate in Big Naija Independence contest by Legit.ng

Amid the criticisms over the increase in the petroleum price by the federal government, the minister of state for petroleum resources, Timipre Sylva, has reacted.

The Nation reports that Sylva said that the recent upwards increase in petrol pump price from N158 to N168, was attributed to the announcement of the possibility of having a vaccine for the novel coronavirus pandemic.

Legit.ng gathered that he disclosed this while addressing State House correspondents on Monday, November 16, after briefing President Muhammadu Buhari in his office at the Aso Rock in Abuja.

FG breaks silence on maltreatment of Nigerian traders in Ghana, gives reason

The minister also assured that Nigerians would get used to the deregulation of the pump price petrol just as they have become the case of kerosene and diesel.

Sylva noted that diesel and kerosene are even more important to ordinary citizens than petrol, which he said is mostly used by the elite.

He explained that trucks that move food produce from one part of the country to another use diesel while kerosene also used by most of the Nigerian masses have since been deregulated.

He said:

“Look at it, a situation where diesel has been deregulated long ago, a situation where kerosene has been deregulated long ago, and these are what the poorest people in Nigeria interact with more. Why do I say that?
“If you want to transport food from the north to the south, it will be by trucks that are run by diesel, not with petrol. Those trucks that transport food from the north to the south are usually run by diesel.
Pastor Bakare declares support for FG's plan to regulate social media
“If we have deregulated what they were using, then there is actually no reason why we should continue to subsidize petrol. I feel so. That’s my personal feeling.”

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the Petroleum Products Marketing Company (PPMC) adjusted the ex-depot price of fuel from N147.67 to N155.17.

It was reported that the PPMC, a subsidiary of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), made the disclosure in a memo dated November 11.

The ex-depot price is the price at which the product is sold to marketers at the depots.

According to its price proposal for November, the PPMC put the landing cost of petrol at N128.89 per litre, up from N119.77 per litre in September/October.
https://www.legit.ng/1384161-new-petrol-price-caused-by-covid-19-vaccine-discovery-buharis-minister-reveals.html
Re: COVID-19 Vaccine Discovery Causes Petrol Price Increase - Sylva by NaijaMutant(f): 10:20pm On Nov 16, 2020
I'm convinced that there is no sensible person in Buhari's government

3 Likes

Re: COVID-19 Vaccine Discovery Causes Petrol Price Increase - Sylva by ekesoft(m): 10:36pm On Nov 16, 2020
Nice development
Re: COVID-19 Vaccine Discovery Causes Petrol Price Increase - Sylva by NaijaMutant(f): 10:40pm On Nov 16, 2020
ekesoft:
Nice development

Are you kidney me shocked
Re: COVID-19 Vaccine Discovery Causes Petrol Price Increase - Sylva by ekesoft(m): 10:42pm On Nov 16, 2020
NaijaMutant:

Are you kidney me shocked

Increase in the sale value = more money for oil rich nations eg~ Nigeria ��
Re: COVID-19 Vaccine Discovery Causes Petrol Price Increase - Sylva by baralatie(m): 10:43pm On Nov 16, 2020
bros
Re: COVID-19 Vaccine Discovery Causes Petrol Price Increase - Sylva by GMBuhari: 10:46pm On Nov 16, 2020
Me too
NaijaMutant:

I mean how stupid can people get ? minister of petroleum resources cant offer petroleum related explanation, just goes straight to accuse Covid vaccine

3 Likes

Re: COVID-19 Vaccine Discovery Causes Petrol Price Increase - Sylva by NaijaMutant(f): 10:47pm On Nov 16, 2020
ekesoft:

Increase in the sale value = more money for oil rich nations eg~ Nigeria ��

When you thought you've seen it all grin

I won't be surprised if this is Lai Mohammed cheesy

2 Likes

Re: COVID-19 Vaccine Discovery Causes Petrol Price Increase - Sylva by NwaOtuNaJos: 10:47pm On Nov 16, 2020
Asi ocha!
Re: COVID-19 Vaccine Discovery Causes Petrol Price Increase - Sylva by edoairways: 11:07pm On Nov 16, 2020
What kind of correlation between vaccine and PMS? . I just hope it is fake news
Re: COVID-19 Vaccine Discovery Causes Petrol Price Increase - Sylva by Xzellentgraphic: 11:07pm On Nov 16, 2020
This man is mad...so na water I dey pour for inside gen abi...abi this man no remember say light no stable for Nigeria and people use petrol mostly to power the gen..
Re: COVID-19 Vaccine Discovery Causes Petrol Price Increase - Sylva by obailala(m): 11:43pm On Nov 16, 2020
NaijaMutant:
GMBuhari:
Me too

I mean how stupid can people get ? minister of petroleum resources cant offer petroleum related explanation, just goes straight to accuse Covid vaccine
NaijaMutant:

When you thought you've seen it all grin

I won't be surprised if this is Lai Mohammed cheesy
edoairways:
What kind of correlation between vaccine and PMS? . I just hope it is fake news
Sylva's statement isnt really stupid; the person who probably should be blamed is the journalist who just reported a blank title with zero content.

Since the announcement of a promising vaccine for covid, some stock prices have been recovering, including the price of crude; that's the link.
Re: COVID-19 Vaccine Discovery Causes Petrol Price Increase - Sylva by 4ckyou: 1:55am On Nov 17, 2020
For this regime na every month fuel they increase now, before buhari leave office fuel price go done enter 300#
Re: COVID-19 Vaccine Discovery Causes Petrol Price Increase - Sylva by Agbegbaorogboye: 2:25am On Nov 17, 2020
Tissue of lies

Firstly, Nigeria does not refine crude so the one in the market is the one brought at previous price. So can the minister explain how an announcement made last week affected fuel price the same week or is he saying the fuel in Nigerian market was bought, shipped, docked, discharged and distributed to filling station in the past week alone? Wonderful!! I thought this people have sense o.

Secondly, with the so-called subsidy removal, Nigerian govt is now making money from crude more than any govt since 1999 and having a net gain at ANY price of crude since all the money now goes into govt coffers coupled with the administrative charges. Why then is this govt still looking for money upandan?

Na govt magic we dey see so
Re: COVID-19 Vaccine Discovery Causes Petrol Price Increase - Sylva by seunlayi(m): 4:32am On Nov 17, 2020
Do we have a govt?
Re: COVID-19 Vaccine Discovery Causes Petrol Price Increase - Sylva by inspector44(m): 5:02am On Nov 17, 2020
May God punish this man for us please
Re: COVID-19 Vaccine Discovery Causes Petrol Price Increase - Sylva by realstars: 5:07am On Nov 17, 2020
Unbelievable
Re: COVID-19 Vaccine Discovery Causes Petrol Price Increase - Sylva by Morningstarrr(m): 7:04am On Nov 17, 2020
NaijaMutant:
Is Buhari sensible?

How will you expect his subjects to be?
Re: COVID-19 Vaccine Discovery Causes Petrol Price Increase - Sylva by NaijaMutant(f): 7:58am On Nov 17, 2020
obailala:

Sylva's statement isnt really stupid; the person who probably should be blamed is the journalist who just reported a blank title with zero content.

Since the announcement of a promising vaccine for covid, some stock prices have been recovering, including the price of crude; that's the link.

When the price of crude oil was as high as $100 per barrel the price of fuel was not up to #100 per litre.

Why am I even condescending to respond to you, seeing you're of the same zombified clique

1 Like

Re: COVID-19 Vaccine Discovery Causes Petrol Price Increase - Sylva by obailala(m): 9:38am On Nov 17, 2020
NaijaMutant:

When the price of crude oil was as high as $100 per barrel the price of fuel was not up to #100 per litre.

Why am I even condescending to respond to you, seeing you're of the same zombified clique
Huh? Did you just say 'condescending' and then proceed to insult me simply because I explained the link between pump price, crude price and the covid vaccine? undecided

You actually think you sound smart when you insult people? Remember, a zombie with a functional brain and basic intelligence is 1000 times better than a person who brags about being sensible but actually has brain power of a toddler...

When price of a barrel of crude was $100, Nigeria was subsidizing, that's why you bought fuel for less than N100. You claim to be intelligent but you're ignorant of this basic info and yet you think someone else is more worthy of the title 'ZOMBIE' than yourself?

All sort of mannerless nonsense we meet online!
Re: COVID-19 Vaccine Discovery Causes Petrol Price Increase - Sylva by Karlifate: 10:25am On Nov 17, 2020

The Nation reports that Sylva said that the recent upwards increase in petrol pump price from N158 to N168, was attributed to the announcement of the possibility of having a vaccine for the novel coronavirus pandemic.

Yes, because the crude oil (from Nigeria) was the key component used in manufacturing the vaccine.

Re: COVID-19 Vaccine Discovery Causes Petrol Price Increase - Sylva by backnbeta(f): 10:34am On Nov 17, 2020
You see why we need a technocrat for this office and not just any idiot! How can he say kerosene is more important to the ordinary people than petrol?
How is the food eaten by these 'ordinary people' transported to the market where they buy?
How do these 'ordinary people' move around? I'm sure they don't trek everywhere undecided
I can go on and on; petrol price is very important to the economy!

BTW, what's that thing he said about covid vaccine They sit down there and decide what's good or bad for the poor masses when they don't even care about them! Wicked people undecided

(1) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu - Reasons Why Umahi Refused To Support Peter Obi In 2019 / To All Abia Haters / Stop Lying Buhari Is The Best Nigeria President.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.