Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,496 members, 7,819,810 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

Students Rioted In Lagos In 1971 Over The Death Of 2 Demonstrators (Throwback) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Students Rioted In Lagos In 1971 Over The Death Of 2 Demonstrators (Throwback) (32042 Views)

Endsars Demonstrators Call Off Protests In Osun, Appreciate Youths’ Consciousnes / Abba Kyari Arrives Lagos In Air Ambulance / Muhammad Ali Met Gowon In Nigeria In 1971 (Throwback Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Students Rioted In Lagos In 1971 Over The Death Of 2 Demonstrators (Throwback) by ipobarethieves: 1:53pm On Nov 18, 2020
sad
Re: Students Rioted In Lagos In 1971 Over The Death Of 2 Demonstrators (Throwback) by kikake: 1:54pm On Nov 18, 2020
DebbieBianca:
1971 footage shows student riots in Lagos, following the deaths of two demonstrators at Ibadan by the police.

In retaliation, the protesters burnt down two police posts and hunted down policemen in the city. Police officers were reported to have torn off their uniforms to escape the rioters.
Eventually the police barricaded a road into the city and arrested at least 15 students.

The original protest which was held in the university of Ibadan was about the poor standard of the catering service in the school. The protest had lasted for four days before police opened fire on 3,000 students, killing two and injuring many. These act was what led to protests in other universities.

Watch The Video Below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MosTN_Xqja0

Source:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHpTzNsn7Pa/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

That was when students were the eyes of the country; when Students Unions officials were not bought over by government officials.

Many of these students were told in 1984 by then HoS Buhari, that they were the future leaders of Nigeria.
Today, they are still “youths “ waiting for the time they will become leaders of Nigeria as promised by Buhari then.

2 Likes

Re: Students Rioted In Lagos In 1971 Over The Death Of 2 Demonstrators (Throwback) by FILEBE(m): 1:55pm On Nov 18, 2020
MJluv:
A repeat performance is loading.

We need a bloody revolution in this country to instill the fear of God in the useless so-called leaders of this country; something more violent and macabre than the French revolution.

Bloody revolution abi? Will you be the one to shed the blood for the revolution?
Re: Students Rioted In Lagos In 1971 Over The Death Of 2 Demonstrators (Throwback) by Nobody: 1:57pm On Nov 18, 2020
Stop inciting violence
Re: Students Rioted In Lagos In 1971 Over The Death Of 2 Demonstrators (Throwback) by Nobody: 1:57pm On Nov 18, 2020
DebbieBianca:
1971 footage shows student riots in Lagos, following the deaths of two demonstrators at Ibadan by the police.

In retaliation, the protesters burnt down two police posts and hunted down policemen in the city. Police officers were reported to have torn off their uniforms to escape the rioters.
Eventually the police barricaded a road into the city and arrested at least 15 students.

The original protest which was held in the university of Ibadan was about the poor standard of the catering service in the school. The protest had lasted for four days before police opened fire on 3,000 students, killing two and injuring many. These act was what led to protests in other universities.

Watch The Video Below:

Source:

You want destruction all because of protests.

Stop inciting violence and hatred
Re: Students Rioted In Lagos In 1971 Over The Death Of 2 Demonstrators (Throwback) by SirLiquidGold: 2:01pm On Nov 18, 2020
The same thing that happened then is still happening now
Re: Students Rioted In Lagos In 1971 Over The Death Of 2 Demonstrators (Throwback) by tommy589(m): 2:05pm On Nov 18, 2020
The police shield in this video reminds me of "78 riot. It was woven unlike the riot glass shield in use today.
Re: Students Rioted In Lagos In 1971 Over The Death Of 2 Demonstrators (Throwback) by Kestolove(m): 2:10pm On Nov 18, 2020
Fela made mention of dix event in his song, beast of no nation.
Re: Students Rioted In Lagos In 1971 Over The Death Of 2 Demonstrators (Throwback) by DennisEche(m): 2:12pm On Nov 18, 2020
robosky02:
History will always repeat itself if we don't learn to correct them
NO BE OSARO THE DPO BE THIS
Re: Students Rioted In Lagos In 1971 Over The Death Of 2 Demonstrators (Throwback) by zedman1(m): 2:14pm On Nov 18, 2020
EmekaBlue:
See our grand fathers and grand mothers

49years ago...just add like 20years as their age then.

Students in this video will be like 69years old by now

E get one EmekaBlue for Naijapals that year wey bin the make sense when we de patronise that site. Na you? If yes, does Naijapals still exist?....Guy no mind my questions, I for ask Google. I don high.
Re: Students Rioted In Lagos In 1971 Over The Death Of 2 Demonstrators (Throwback) by EmekaBlue(m): 2:16pm On Nov 18, 2020
zedman1:
E get one EmekaBlue for Naijapals that year wey bin the make sense when we de patronise that site. Na you? If yes, does Naijapals still exist?....Guy no mind my questions, I for ask Google. I don high.
grin na me o...i port come nairaland. The site still dey na but i no dey enter again

1 Like

Re: Students Rioted In Lagos In 1971 Over The Death Of 2 Demonstrators (Throwback) by MrDam(m): 2:22pm On Nov 18, 2020
And it has happened again
When are we going to have a good system of governance oh God, now I'm considering Vietnam
Re: Students Rioted In Lagos In 1971 Over The Death Of 2 Demonstrators (Throwback) by Nobody: 2:22pm On Nov 18, 2020
This was when 1 naira= 1 pound,1 naira=1.18 dollars.
E no go better for African rulers,Nigerian government,past and present. 2023 is in the hand of the youths,not Desmond Elliot kind of youth o. Na beg I dey una. God bless Nigeria.

DebbieBianca:

Watch The Video Below:

Source:

3 Likes

Re: Students Rioted In Lagos In 1971 Over The Death Of 2 Demonstrators (Throwback) by Zetty177x: 2:24pm On Nov 18, 2020
This burning was triggered by Djswitch elder sister...Abi? Awon zombys

3 Likes

Re: Students Rioted In Lagos In 1971 Over The Death Of 2 Demonstrators (Throwback) by NwaIgboBoy(m): 2:36pm On Nov 18, 2020
So during that time there were na babber , see as all of them carry afro like niggros
Re: Students Rioted In Lagos In 1971 Over The Death Of 2 Demonstrators (Throwback) by Wadigi(m): 2:41pm On Nov 18, 2020
DebbieBianca:

Watch The Video Below:

Source:
Re: Students Rioted In Lagos In 1971 Over The Death Of 2 Demonstrators (Throwback) by bendike: 2:46pm On Nov 18, 2020
Did you guys notice the policemen were not holding guns but batons.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Students Rioted In Lagos In 1971 Over The Death Of 2 Demonstrators (Throwback) by StaffofOrayan(m): 3:10pm On Nov 18, 2020
You call it Endsars protest,
I call it a slave insurrection
Re: Students Rioted In Lagos In 1971 Over The Death Of 2 Demonstrators (Throwback) by foreveryoung1515(f): 3:40pm On Nov 18, 2020
My dad was at the forefront of this protest, I could remember grandpa was said to have seen my dad on the television and was begging people to help them locate my dad and bring him home.

1 Like

Re: Students Rioted In Lagos In 1971 Over The Death Of 2 Demonstrators (Throwback) by bencr7: 3:59pm On Nov 18, 2020
Not new even in america pple hv been protesting about white police killing of blacks but d different is dat so many white join d protest diz time.
Re: Students Rioted In Lagos In 1971 Over The Death Of 2 Demonstrators (Throwback) by Edoziesmart(m): 4:04pm On Nov 18, 2020
NwaIgboBoy:
So during that time there were na babber , see as all of them carry afro like niggros
kiddo, that was trending hair style then, same as round afro cut is the trending hairstyle of this young generation now
Re: Students Rioted In Lagos In 1971 Over The Death Of 2 Demonstrators (Throwback) by babtoundey(m): 4:07pm On Nov 18, 2020
It's been a long time since we have been suffering in this country. See a Police officer kicking a protesters with his boot!
Re: Students Rioted In Lagos In 1971 Over The Death Of 2 Demonstrators (Throwback) by excel101(m): 4:49pm On Nov 18, 2020
Those were back in time where our armed forces were well trained and civiled
Re: Students Rioted In Lagos In 1971 Over The Death Of 2 Demonstrators (Throwback) by manunitedbabes: 6:05pm On Nov 18, 2020
Eeeehhhhh grin embarassed embarassed

The bloodlines still flows in them
Re: Students Rioted In Lagos In 1971 Over The Death Of 2 Demonstrators (Throwback) by seguno2: 8:19pm On Nov 18, 2020
joyandfaith:
history always repeat itself !,,

If we don’t constantly remind ourselves of the history and foolishly forget the lessons.

Why has the Jewish Holocaust not repeated itself?
Has the American civil war repeated itself?
Re: Students Rioted In Lagos In 1971 Over The Death Of 2 Demonstrators (Throwback) by alezzy13: 8:19pm On Nov 18, 2020
Amazing.!

I wonder where all those people would be now. If still alive, they should be in their late seventies early eighties.

It's also instructive that they were protesting 'poor catering services'

Don't forget this was a time when the university was still in the peak of it's glory.

You had state of the art dining hall with different food selections available to student just like you have in any modern eatery.

Students room would be cleaned and bed made up as you go for lectures, just like in hotels

All your dirty laundry be washed ironed, etc.

Sigh*

If only they could see the condition of our ivory towers now.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Akin Adesina: Atiku Abubakar rallies support for AfdB President / Lauretta Onochie Calls Senator Abaribe A Buffoon. / Osinbajo: Another Civil War Cannot Be Afforded In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.