Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,414 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:50 PM

Turning Writing From A Hobby To A Potential Career - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Turning Writing From A Hobby To A Potential Career (293 Views)

Banks Turning Female Marketers To Sexual Slaves – Senator Ayo Akinyelure / Obinna Ukwuani Returns To Nigeria After Turning Down Job Offer In USA / Starting A Potential Billion Naira Business In 2019 (FREE COURSE) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Turning Writing From A Hobby To A Potential Career by OyindaaS(f): 10:05pm On Nov 18, 2020
It just takes a leap of faith.

I opened up my drafts in my Yahoo Inbox and saw an excerpt of short stories I wrote in Secondary School. With me spending all my free time on Instagram or Lagos traffic, I felt a different ginger to start writing and that's when I stumbled on .

With a swiftness, I started creating content based on my interests and produced a Fashion, Health, Travel & Lifestyle Blog

"www.victoriasho..com"

I'm still fairly new to the game but I will share tips that I have learnt along the way if you're also looking to start blogging as well.

1. FIND A NICHE

It's easier to write when the subject matter is focused. The best way to find a niche is to look out for your interests or themes that come natural to you. Another suggestion may be looking through Google Searches of what focus area is in high demand

2. SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION

Search Engine Optimisation is very key as the higher your search ranking and the easier your blog is to find, the higher your organic traffic. This point is something I'm consistently working at with different tools. I've tried SEM Rush & SEO Workers Search Engine Optimisation Tool to better my keywords and meta tags. These are just the tip of the iceberg but I'm still learning and hope to update my findings on here.

3. MONETIZATION

Nobody wants to work for free so monetisation of your blog is very key. On Blogger, as it is run by Google, the blog can qualify for Google Adsense however the process for approval can be quite tricky depending on the location and there are several policies regarding successful monetisation (Copyright Violations for example). There are other Adsense tools that can be signed up for apart from Google Adsense however it is advised that 5 digit traffic(>10,000 views cumulatively) and 30 posts be acquired before application.

Another way to help with monetisation is signing up for Affiliate Links relevant to your niche and recommending trusted products to your grown audience. A win win situation as your readers get quality products and you get a percentage from every purchase.

I hope these tips were helpful. I would make sure to update other tips I've picked up on along the way. Please feel free to drop advice for me if you've been blogging longer. I would really appreciate it. I need all the help I can get lol.

Kindly check out my latest blog post on Top 40 List on Early Black Friday Deals in Nigeria right here ---> www.victoriasho..com

Re: Turning Writing From A Hobby To A Potential Career by OyindaaS(f): 10:21pm On Nov 18, 2020
Forgive me for the formatting errors. First Nairaland post

Link to blog ---> www.victoriasho..com
Re: Turning Writing From A Hobby To A Potential Career by OyindaaS(f): 9:59am On Nov 19, 2020
Any blogging tips please leave below. Thanks.
Re: Turning Writing From A Hobby To A Potential Career by Daymotive(m): 5:57pm On Nov 19, 2020
Hi, I browsed through your site, and I must say that you did well in the site design.
You seem to be into affiliate marketing, which is a great way of monetization even though you don't have a lot of traffic yet.

However, to attract more sales, I would suggest you write a short post on certain products you'd love to recommend to your users and add links to the products you're recommending in the post.

The aim of writing the post is to enlighten your audience on the products, as most of them may not be aware of the products. Also, you use that medium to sell the products to convince your audience of how great the products you recommend are.

Once they have got knowledge of the products and their special features, they will be keen to purchase, and you build more trust with your audience.

This is just the advice I can give from experience so far relating to the aspect of monetization, through affiliate marketing.

One more thing though, I noticed that your site is on HTTP. The HTTP is not a secure way of carrying out transactions on a site because it makes users' account information vulnerable. HTTPS, on the other hand, will encrypt users' account information after it has been entered.

Also, HTTPS will help to boost SEO rankings and increase users' trust.
Hope this helps.
Re: Turning Writing From A Hobby To A Potential Career by OyindaaS(f): 8:46am On Nov 20, 2020
Thank you so much for the advice.

Yes I'm currently trying to secure an SSL license for the domain I got. What would you recommend?

Yes, you are absolutely right with my affiliate link post. I will take your comments in mind doing more wish and shopping lists.

I just posted a new blog, A review on Fast Fashion Brands; I would be grateful if you check out as well.

https://victoriasho..com/2020/11/prettylittlething-is-unrivaled-in-2020.html

Have a good one.
Re: Turning Writing From A Hobby To A Potential Career by OyindaaS(f): 8:50am On Nov 20, 2020
NEW BLOG POST!

It's the weekend!

New Blog Post!

https://victoriasho..com/2020/11/prettylittlething-is-unrivaled-in-2020.html

I spill the piping hot tea on Fast Fashion Brands.

A review of Fashion Nova, PrettyLittleThing, ISAWITFIRST and many more.

Make sure to subscribe to the blog for more Fashion Content.

Re: Turning Writing From A Hobby To A Potential Career by OyindaaS(f): 10:26am On Nov 20, 2020
Kindly leave suggestions and blogging tips you have found out down below.

Thank you.
Re: Turning Writing From A Hobby To A Potential Career by Daymotive(m): 6:34pm On Nov 20, 2020
Hi,
You did an amazing job with the latest post you published.

I noticed that the SSL certificate is currently activated. Although SSL certificates can be purchased directly from the company, if you host your site on certain hosts, they provide free SSL certificates.

You doing a good job so far. I'm around the corner, just in case you need some more help though.

1 Like

Re: Turning Writing From A Hobby To A Potential Career by OyindaaS(f): 6:35pm On Nov 20, 2020
Weekend Plans?

Why not catch up on Early Black Friday Discount Deals --> https://victoriasho..com/2020/11/best-black-friday-discount-deals-for.html

OR
A savage fashion review on your favourite brands (I spill tea quite well) grin -->https://victoriasho..com/2020/11/prettylittlething-is-unrivaled-in-2020.html
Re: Turning Writing From A Hobby To A Potential Career by OyindaaS(f): 10:57pm On Nov 20, 2020
@Daymotive Thank you! Really appreciate.

1 Like

Re: Turning Writing From A Hobby To A Potential Career by OyindaaS(f): 9:35pm On Nov 22, 2020
Hello!

Almost a week later.

We have progress.

I have secured a domain with hosting and switched from Blogger to Wordpress.

Currently exporting my posts on Blogger to Wordpress.

If you're looking to make the jump and you have questions, leave them below and I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Kindly check out my website---> www.victoriasho.com

Still in the works, let me know if you run into troubles navigating the website or any suggestions for improvement.

Thanks!
Re: Turning Writing From A Hobby To A Potential Career by OyindaaS(f): 5:12pm On Nov 27, 2020
HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!!!

New Blog Post Alert!

Navigation to the best deals available for Black Friday Weekend in Nigeria and worldwide

Click here---> www.victoriasho.com

I hope to see you on the blog, leave me a comment if you enjoyed or it was helpful!
Re: Turning Writing From A Hobby To A Potential Career by OyindaaS(f): 10:46pm On Nov 27, 2020
Hi there!

Note: Offers expire on the 30th of November

For guide on major Black Friday Deals on Jumia, Konga, SPAR, Shoprite from now till 30th November

Click here --->https://victoriasho.com/black-friday-sales-nigeria/

For Amazon best deals for this weekend!

Click here---> https://victoriasho.com/amazon-black-friday-cyber-monday-deals/

Leave a comment!
Re: Turning Writing From A Hobby To A Potential Career by OyindaaS(f): 10:47pm On Nov 27, 2020
Hi!

check links above
Re: Turning Writing From A Hobby To A Potential Career by OyindaaS(f): 6:26pm On Nov 28, 2020
Hurry and let me know how if you found what you are looking for.

Note: Offers expire on the 30th of November

For guide on major Black Friday Deals on Jumia, Konga, SPAR, Shoprite from now till 30th November

Click here --->https://victoriasho.com/black-friday-sales-nigeria/

For Amazon best deals for this weekend!

Click here---> https://victoriasho.com/amazon-black-friday-cyber-monday-deals/

Leave a comment on discounts you have come across!

(1) (Reply)

. / Speech Writing And Public Speaking Training Workshop In Ibadan / How Nigerians Can Get A Promotion In Their Place Of Work During COVID-19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.