Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,111 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:11 AM

Cheating At Petrol Stations - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Cheating At Petrol Stations (2249 Views)

01/02 Toyota Hilux Reg Manual Auxiliary Petrol.Reduced to 850k. See Pix... / Dirty Tricks Petrol Stations, Attendants Use To Cheat Customers / Cede Your Petrol Stations To Us For Management (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cheating At Petrol Stations by kaypinchi(m): 9:19am On Jun 28, 2007
Petrol pump attendands use all manner of tricks to cheat and undersell to you at point of sale. I have experienced this number of times in Lagos.
Each time I discover a trick they come out with a new one. I thought I had them in the bag until I experieced a new one yesterday.

It went this way, I drove into Texaco, asked for N2000 fuel. He programmed the amount requested and started sale. Along the line, the pump meter was reading N 1380 of sale to me (as at last check) and the pump attendant offered me Supa Strikers Comic. I declined, told him "I no dey buy" but he told me it is for free. I wondered where the catch was. In that twinkle of the eye the meter was reading N2000 and blinking.
It was on my way that I saw that the fuel quantity hasn't pushed the guage to where it should rest.
I then dawned on me. He used the comic to distract my attention and I guess he turned off the pump; making it to blink the price I requested for.
Another new one. angry angryangry, bast*rd
The sad thing is that you don't get to discover their action until you leave the petrol station. If you get to turn back and report to the manager, you will be confronted with evidence of proof, which you'll find difficult to show.

Guys, how do we deal with these guys & remedy the situation? Petrol is now N70 o!
Re: Cheating At Petrol Stations by tEsLim(m): 9:44am On Jun 28, 2007
LOL!!! I only buy from ppl i trust like 80%. I know a guy at the pump at the closest petrol station from my house. Sharp ppl run from his pump. Though all the staffs do it, but not to the point that 50%+ of the money goes to his pocket. I reported to one of them that I would'nt come to their filling station again because I had to push the car to a nearest filling station in a very embarassing roundabout (Maryland-- ) after buying N1,500 and couldin't get to Surulere from Ikorodu angry .

I'm thinking the best way i for me to always buy in a 25litre jerrycan wink and fuel my tank manually. But its just some stupid stress. Though since I have a pump I kinda trust about 2kilometre from home. I've been using the trusted gas station.
Re: Cheating At Petrol Stations by TEEZERO(m): 5:01pm On Jul 07, 2007
One did the distracting technique to my driver this morning
He wanted to buy N2,000 fuel. When it was nearing 1,500, he distracted him by giving him a receipt (because my driver had asked for a receipt) to sign. Apparently, my driver was alert. He saw that the pump had stopped at N1,500. The attendant actually thought that the driver was not concentrating. Before you could say Alaka (that is where the filling station is), the attendant would have wiped the meter and collected N2000. But the driver was fast enough to stop the cheat. The manager was invited, but, of course, the attendant, an elderly fellow, said the light tripped at that point (when the metre reached N1,500) and he was waiting for the engine to start running again.
Smart dude!
Re: Cheating At Petrol Stations by spoilt(f): 5:10pm On Jul 07, 2007
when i was in nigeria initially i would just sit in my car and tell them how much worth of fuel i wanted. i couldnt be bothered getting out. but after a while i smartened up.i would get out of my car and stand right by the attendant and his pump. not even a diamond necklace could have distracted me. even before pumping i would tell him " dont even try to play games with me cos im watching every move". well it seemed to work cos i never got cheated again . but i know for sure that their pumps are tampered with. what they say is one litre is a whole lot less.
Re: Cheating At Petrol Stations by Pelican(m): 7:27pm On Jul 07, 2007
It seems to me TEXACO is most guilty of this crime. I have experienced this nonsense at the Texaco Stations in LAWANSON, ALAKA and the one by Alapere Estate. Those guys are simply terrible. You can't be too careful!
Re: Cheating At Petrol Stations by moneytalk(m): 11:05pm On Jul 07, 2007
@ ALL,

Wats you have to do is collect the pipe from them and do the selling buy urself no cheating, no shaking thas is how i handle them and they say thak u sir. grin grin grin
Re: Cheating At Petrol Stations by kaypinchi(m): 10:48pm On Jul 14, 2007
Some1 told me that most stations rip you off normally as their pumps are adjusted to undersell.
How can one prove that?

I have also been told that it is only NNPC at Ikoyi, that sell rightly.
Does any one drive a car with a digital meter so we can confirm?

(1) (Reply)

Forex Broker That Offers $1200 Free For The Real Account / Prestige Peugeot 406 2.0ST 16V AUTOMATIC 2000 SILVER: 79-DG-SG FABRIC INTERIOR. / 9ja Used Volvo S80 V5 Excecutive reduce price 800k SOLD SOLD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.