Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,958 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:56 AM

E-book Readers / Tablets - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / E-book Readers / Tablets (1989 Views)

Novel Readers(nora Robert,dan Brown,daniel Steele,sydney Sheldon) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

E-book Readers / Tablets by pubman: 10:49pm On Mar 18, 2011
Hi all,

With so many e-book readers / tablets on the market - which one
do you use to read any e-books that you may have in your collection?

Have you been satisfied with the whole e-book experience? sad

With regards,

Pubman

See Kayode's Dream at
www.vbxsystems.com
Re: E-book Readers / Tablets by Nobody: 8:28am On Mar 20, 2011
I was just about to start a thread like this myself. Personally I use the Sony PRS-650 Ebook Reader and I am totally thrilled by it. It is a wonderful reading experience and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to all avid readers out there. Do you have any such device, sir.
Re: E-book Readers / Tablets by pubman: 4:30pm On Mar 21, 2011
I don't have one at this moment - but it's a case of either buying a
dedicated e-book reader or a tablet that can do a lot more beside
book reading. It's one of the reason that I opened this thread just to
gauge what people are using for their e-book experience.
Re: E-book Readers / Tablets by Nobody: 6:57pm On Mar 22, 2011
Well, I prefer my dedicated reader because it incorporates the amazing e ink technology, there is no back-light (therefore no eye strain), less weight and no distractions. Most tablets have LCD or TFT screens which are very reflective and can't be read in direct sunlight. My ereader loves light!
E ink ereaders are the closest you can get to the "book experience".
Re: E-book Readers / Tablets by pubman: 4:56pm On Mar 23, 2011
Fortissimo - you know technology is always changing for the better(?), for example
Qualcomm are bringing out an an e-reader (possib. in summer) that does more.
It will have colour, able to play videos and be able to read in direct sunlight.

I have attached a link and then click on the first video.
http://www.qualcomm.com/products_services/consumer_electronics/index.html

And then we have HP who are going to be bringing out a slew of products in the
tablets markets. The old warrior, Microsoft, has barely got its act together but is
addressing the issue.

So I think we are in for an exciting time in terms of product development in this
market  - which can only improve the consumers' experience.

If you don't mind me asking -  does your e-reader play videos?
Re: E-book Readers / Tablets by Nobody: 8:22am On Mar 25, 2011
Yes I've heard about the colour e ink development and I've seen a few demos. I read novels mainly and they are usually black text on a light yellow page. the only real colour is on the covers. So pray, tell me what I need a colour e ink display for? Besides, from the demos I've seen, the technology is still in its infancy. Colours are not so well defined and sharp. If I want colour I'll go for something that does colour well . See my emphasis on well? i'm only interested in things that do their job well. Not some mediocre jack of all trades.

My reader doesn't play videos. None of them do. Although I think Booken has developed the tech that enables e ink to play videos. I looked at it and that too is in it's infancy. If I want to watch videos, I'll watch them on an LCD screen (tablet, laptop, TV, etc.)
E ink can never be as good at playing videos as LCD and the rest.

All I wanted to do was read. Logically I looked for the best reading device out there. When it comes to reading, no tablet yet made can compete with what I have. I'm not interested in multimedia or browsing functions on my reader. Infact, there is an audio player on my reader but I've only used it for about 30minutes so far compared with the almost 150 hours I've spent reading. If I was reading on an LCD screen, I might be blind by now. shocked

To each, his own, I guess.

P.S. I forgot to mention the battery life. My reader lasts for 2 weeks on a single charge, and I use it for at least 4hrs every day
Re: E-book Readers / Tablets by Nobody: 8:30am On Mar 25, 2011
This is it! cheesy

Re: E-book Readers / Tablets by pubman: 2:03pm On Mar 25, 2011
If we had an e-reader that does colour or play videos - is that a bad idea?
Well, our first published e-book, Kayode's Dream, has animation in it.
Therefore, it's important that we have devices ready that can function
with whatever style of content thrown into it.

Re: E-book Readers / Tablets by Nobody: 2:14pm On Mar 25, 2011
pubman:

If we had an e-reader that does colour or play videos - is that a bad idea?
Well, our first published e-book, Kayode's Dream, has animation in it.
Therefore, it's important that we have devices ready that can function
with whatever style of content thrown into it.

Ofcourse not! That would be great! So long as it doesn't compromise on its main function. However, I don't think e-ink screens would ever be as good as LCD screens in displaying videos and I doubt LCD screens would ever be as good as e-ink screens in rendering text for extended reading.
Re: E-book Readers / Tablets by larablog: 11:15pm On Mar 29, 2011
check out this link on my blog, it has links to download all the necessary readers associated with all types of ebooks.
http://9jabookmania..com/search/label/E-BOOK%20READER%20DOWNLOAD
you can also get free e-books there too
Re: E-book Readers / Tablets by GoldCircle: 8:35pm On Mar 31, 2011
Hi peeps,
Please how do I download an e-version of the book "Richest Mani in Babylon" - by George Samuel Clason. i would appreciate if anyone can drop me a copy or direct me to a link.
Re: E-book Readers / Tablets by MyneWhite1(f): 10:15pm On Apr 06, 2011
I use a kindle to read, and if I should buy an e-book that requires color and video, I can use the readers on my laptop.

Where can I get Kayode's dream? Is there a sample?
Re: E-book Readers / Tablets by pubman: 1:08am On Apr 18, 2011
Thanks for your interest in Kayode's Dream.
Kayode's Dream can be brought in two ways:

(i) online shop paying by Paypal and downloading the e-book;
http://vbxsystems.com/products_new.php OR

(ii) purchasing the cd which contains the e-book and paying
by cheque;

http://vbxsystems.com/extra_info_pages.php?pages_id=4
Re: E-book Readers / Tablets by pubman: 1:09am On Apr 18, 2011
bought not brought embarassed

(1) (Reply)

30 Things To Stop Doing Toyourself / poem / In The Name Of Love (poem)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.