Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,100 members, 7,818,287 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:02 PM

Disaster For Oil Industry After 2025 EU Likely To Place A Band On Gasoline Car - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Disaster For Oil Industry After 2025 EU Likely To Place A Band On Gasoline Car (653 Views)

Atiku In Trouble As PDP Rally in Jos Ended In Disaster For Poor Attendance / Kwaku Boateng: Dangote Refinery ''A Threat To Ghana's Oil Industry'' / Kowoworola Bucknor-Akerele: North’s Rulership Has Been A Disaster For Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Disaster For Oil Industry After 2025 EU Likely To Place A Band On Gasoline Car by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 7:43pm On Nov 20, 2020
First it was the UK to place band on petrol and diesel vehicles after year 2030 now the European Union is putting a date for year 2025 to stop the sales of petrol and diesel vehicles.

UK and Europe to declare war on new petrol and diesel car sales.

The Boris Johnson-led conservative UK government is set to announce a ban on petrol and diesel cars by 2030, bringing forward its previous target set in February by five years, and the European Union may do so by 2025, according to new reports.

The UK’s new target will see only electric and hybrid vehicles allowed for new car sales after 2030, and only all-electric vehicles from 2035, it was reported on Sunday (UK time).

It is the second time in less than a year that the UK will have brought forward its target by five years (it was to be 2040), underlining the accelerating pace of technology, policies, and the sense of urgency to act.

It is understood that the new target will be announced by Johnson as part of a range of environmental measures, according to a report from the Financial Times, which says it quoted industry and Whitehall sources.

The reports from the UK and Europe contrast with Australia, whose conservative government rejected out of hand a Labor proposal to limit petrol and diesel cars to 50 per cent of new car sales by 2030, and as South Australia and NSW contemplate electric vehicle road user taxes, with no sight of any EV incentives.

South Australia and NSW have been roundly condemned for considering an “EV tax”, which flies in the face of global measures to increase electric vehicle adoption such as the UK ban on new petrol and diesel car cales.

Also in news today, the European Union is reportedly considering implementing stricter laws which would effectively amount to a 2025 ban according to German news site Bild. Norway already has a ban in place from 2025, including of hybrids and plug in hybrids.
eu petrol 2025 ban
Source: Bild/Google Translate

Europe’s ban may include tightening air pollution legislation to allow just 30mg/km of the damaging nitrous oxide pollution from combustion vehicles (down from 60mg for petrol and 80gm for diesel) from 2025.

It would also see carbon monoxide limits reduced to 500mg/km down from 1000mg for petrol cars, and to 100mg/km from 300mg for diesel cars. The article also mentions a new “Euro 7” standard, and says that synthetic and bio fuels would not be permitted.

As noted by Bild, no combustion car can achieve this, effectively meaning the European Union will “declare war” on the fossil fuel car and refuelling industry.

But it is the UK right-hand drive market that is of the most relevance to Australia.

Currently, one in four cars sold in the UK in 2020 are electrified in some format according to car registration reporting body SMMT, a figure which includes both battery electric (BEV) and plug-in hybrids (PHEV), but also non-pluggable hybrids (HEVs), and “mild hybrids” (MHEV) which are designed to boost engine power and enable “start-stop” at traffic lights.

Of those, a little more than 100,000 (about 8.8%) have been pluggable BEVs and PHEVs, almost twice as many as the same period in 2019.

To transition entirely to electric vehicles will mean more than 2,000,000 right-hand drive electric vehicles a year will need to be supplied to the UK market, meaning it will become even harder for Australian car maker arms to secure units for sale here.

In Australia in 2019, 0.6% of around 1,000,000 vehicles sold were electric of plug-in hybrid or all-electric, a tripling of sales from 2018. Canada will also ban new petrol and diesel vehicle sales from 2035 according to CBC.

https://thedriven.io/2020/11/16/uk-and-europe-to-declare-war-on-new-petrol-and-diesel-car-sales/

Re: Disaster For Oil Industry After 2025 EU Likely To Place A Band On Gasoline Car by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 7:56pm On Nov 20, 2020
People don't just keep quiet give your suggestions if African countries should be spending billions of US dollar invested in fuel oil and gas when there is nobody to buy it in the future
Re: Disaster For Oil Industry After 2025 EU Likely To Place A Band On Gasoline Car by flokii: 8:21pm On Nov 20, 2020
SUFFERInSMILIIN:
People don't just keep quiet give your suggestions if African countries should be spending billions of US dollar invested in fuel oil and gas when there is nobody to buy it in the future

Africans I believe can see the paradigm shift and the need to act accordingly.
The time to look inwards and embrace/ consume what we produce is now. Even when Oil had value, African countries like Nigeria couldn't run any Oil refinery successfully. Instead we sold the crude at ridiculous prices to Europeans only to buy the finished products back at exorbitant rates. We need help in this part of the world.

4 Likes

Re: Disaster For Oil Industry After 2025 EU Likely To Place A Band On Gasoline Car by TimmyA: 8:25pm On Nov 20, 2020
That is a good development, at least future Nigerian polithiefeans will have less free money to steal
Re: Disaster For Oil Industry After 2025 EU Likely To Place A Band On Gasoline Car by gaetano: 8:30pm On Nov 20, 2020
Bad timing for dangote on the refinery project. I love this Sha so we will get sense by force, crude oil blinded us. On the flip side, after the ban, I might get a sweet Benz for N200k since they will be exporting all gasoline cars to Africa grin
Re: Disaster For Oil Industry After 2025 EU Likely To Place A Band On Gasoline Car by Xzellentgraphic: 8:45pm On Nov 20, 2020
Nigeria should quickly look into divesting into other sector...and leave the Benue trough shit

1 Like

Re: Disaster For Oil Industry After 2025 EU Likely To Place A Band On Gasoline Car by inoki247: 8:47pm On Nov 20, 2020
Make them no worry we go dey use our thing power our Gen since the Government don fail to give us 247 electricity
Re: Disaster For Oil Industry After 2025 EU Likely To Place A Band On Gasoline Car by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 8:54pm On Nov 20, 2020
Xzellentgraphic:
Nigeria should quickly look into divesting into other sector...and leave the Benue trough shit
Haven't you heard the price of second-hand vehicles have now fallen in UK but they are left hand drive. In fact we are you going to get parts for these vehicles when nobody wants them
Re: Disaster For Oil Industry After 2025 EU Likely To Place A Band On Gasoline Car by helinues: 8:55pm On Nov 20, 2020
That has been in UK agenda for some time
Re: Disaster For Oil Industry After 2025 EU Likely To Place A Band On Gasoline Car by hisgrace090: 8:57pm On Nov 20, 2020
flokii:

Africans I believe can see the paradigm shift and the need to act accordingly.
The time to look inwards and embrace/ consume what we produce is now. Even when Oil had value, African countries like Nigeria couldn't run any Oil refinery successfully. Instead we sold the crude at ridiculous prices to Europeans only to buy the finished products back at exorbitant rates. We need help in this part of the world.

Fear the Nigerian 419 govt.
Re: Disaster For Oil Industry After 2025 EU Likely To Place A Band On Gasoline Car by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 8:59pm On Nov 20, 2020
helinues:

I think I need to take advantage of the whole situation and look for something to invest in where I do not have to spend money from time to time buy petrol. I want to put my deadline 2022 I will move to green energy. Because very soon nobody will want to buy all of this second hand cars
Re: Disaster For Oil Industry After 2025 EU Likely To Place A Band On Gasoline Car by helinues: 9:01pm On Nov 20, 2020
SUFFERInSMILIIN:

I think I need to take advantage of the whole situation and look for something to invest in where I do not have to spend money from time to time buy petrol. I want to put my deadline 2022 I will move to green energy. Because very soon nobody will want to buy all of this second hand cars

Bitcoin is $18,000+ now...it should reach $20k by December

Etherum and Tither are also not doing bad but hey becareful
Re: Disaster For Oil Industry After 2025 EU Likely To Place A Band On Gasoline Car by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 9:23pm On Nov 20, 2020
helinues:

Bitcoin is $18,000+ now...it should reach $20k by December

Etherum and Tither are also not doing bad but hey becareful

I am talking about you vested in green technology
Re: Disaster For Oil Industry After 2025 EU Likely To Place A Band On Gasoline Car by November1857(m): 9:55pm On Nov 20, 2020
helinues:
Can we go our separate ways now !
Re: Disaster For Oil Industry After 2025 EU Likely To Place A Band On Gasoline Car by Ayo8(m): 9:58pm On Nov 20, 2020
....our eyes go soon clear...
Re: Disaster For Oil Industry After 2025 EU Likely To Place A Band On Gasoline Car by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 10:25pm On Nov 20, 2020
Europe and develop countries and giving Africa billions of US dollar loan to invest in the gas and oil when they know that in the next 15 years they'll be nothing using the oil
Re: Disaster For Oil Industry After 2025 EU Likely To Place A Band On Gasoline Car by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 8:15am On Nov 21, 2020
I think at this movement stoned reduce the price of oil by 50 to 70% so that people can rush it and buy it
Re: Disaster For Oil Industry After 2025 EU Likely To Place A Band On Gasoline Car by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 4:13pm On Nov 21, 2020
Now that the economy of the country is in a depression we need your suggestions here
Re: Disaster For Oil Industry After 2025 EU Likely To Place A Band On Gasoline Car by twosquare(m): 6:24pm On Nov 21, 2020
Green energy is the new go. Era of coal, fossil fuel, green, and another kind of energy is still coming that will make sci-fi projections a fulfilled prophecy
Re: Disaster For Oil Industry After 2025 EU Likely To Place A Band On Gasoline Car by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 7:55pm On Nov 26, 2020
People are now suffering of poverty
Re: Disaster For Oil Industry After 2025 EU Likely To Place A Band On Gasoline Car by tamdun: 8:00pm On Nov 26, 2020
Dangote Hnmmm, Nigeria go learn
Re: Disaster For Oil Industry After 2025 EU Likely To Place A Band On Gasoline Car by happy200(m): 8:14pm On Nov 26, 2020
This is not time for threat. They should ban it today.
Re: Disaster For Oil Industry After 2025 EU Likely To Place A Band On Gasoline Car by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 8:36pm On Nov 26, 2020
tamdun:
Dangote Hnmmm, Nigeria go learn

don't worry he will just borrow more money like he has always done
Re: Disaster For Oil Industry After 2025 EU Likely To Place A Band On Gasoline Car by Okoroawusa: 8:40pm On Nov 26, 2020
Ok... when the time reach

(1) (Reply)

Breaking: NDDC: Forensic Auditors Attacked In Port-harcourt / Second Wave: FG Orders Civil Servants To ‘stay At Home For Five Weeks’ / BREAKING: Court Remands Sowore, Four Others In Police Force CIID

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.