Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,989 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:54 PM

There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere (1001 Views)

Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track / 10 Nigerian States That Can't Survive Without Federal Allocation - TheCableIndex / How The East Will Feed Itself Without Northern Food (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere by nairavsdollars(f): 8:52pm On Nov 20, 2020
Pan Yoruba socio-political organisation, Afenifere, has said the theory that the rest of Nigeria will suffer if the Northern part of the country decides to stop the transportation of agricultural products to those areas is nonsense talk.

Speaking with INDEPENDENT, Yinka Odumakin, the organisation’s National Publicity Secretary, said Nigeria is a blessed country and every part of the country has capacity for food sufficiency.

He, however, admitted that the food scarcity in some parts of the country, especially the South-West’s is due to attacks by Fulani herdsmen.

"The talk that another part of the country will suffer if the North decides to withdraw their food produce is nonsense. Yes, the federal government has done so many agricultural projects in the North".

“When you go and look at the records of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), when they are doing Anchors Borrowers Programme, most of the money is spent in the North".

“But there is no section of Nigeria that cannot feed itself. The food scarcity in some parts of the country may be due to certain factors. In South-West for instance, if you see what the herdsmen have been doing to the farmers, you will be alarmed.

“In the past, even our women go to farms unaided to plant agricultural products. Which man today will allow his wife to go to the farm alone and not throw her to Fulani herdsmen for raping?

“So, there are problems in this country but there is no part of the country that does not have the capacity for food sufficiency,” he said.

https://www.independent.ng/theres-no-section-of-nigeria-that-cannot-feed-itself-afenifere/

Re: There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere by shigoslim(m): 9:05pm On Nov 20, 2020
Bitter truth.

4 Likes

Re: There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere by fergie001: 9:12pm On Nov 20, 2020
Fact!

1 Like

Re: There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 9:18pm On Nov 20, 2020
nairavsdollars:

Pan Yoruba socio-political organisation, Afenifere, has said the theory that the rest of Nigeria will suffer if the Northern part of the country decides to stop the transportation of agricultural products to those areas is nonsense talk.

Speaking with INDEPENDENT, Yinka Odumakin, the organisation’s National Publicity Secretary, said Nigeria is a blessed country and every part of the country has capacity for food sufficiency.

He, however, admitted that the food scarcity in some parts of the country, especially the South-West’s is due to attacks by Fulani herdsmen.

"The talk that another part of the country will suffer if the North decides to withdraw their food produce is nonsense. Yes, the federal government has done so many agricultural projects in the North".

“When you go and look at the records of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), when they are doing Anchors Borrowers Programme, most of the money is spent in the North".

“But there is no section of Nigeria that cannot feed itself. The food scarcity in some parts of the country may be due to certain factors. In South-West for instance, if you see what the herdsmen have been doing to the farmers, you will be alarmed.

“In the past, even our women go to farms unaided to plant agricultural products. Which man today will allow his wife to go to the farm alone and not throw her to Fulani herdsmen for raping?

“So, there are problems in this country but there is no part of the country that does not have the capacity for food sufficiency,” he said.

https://www.independent.ng/theres-no-section-of-nigeria-that-cannot-feed-itself-afenifere/

100% true
In the northern parts of Nigeria there is no difference their food production is down completely due to the same problems and Bandit. They are not really producing like what they were before

1 Like

Re: There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere by Goodmarlian: 10:01pm On Nov 20, 2020
This is no news,it takes just 5000 hectares to produce a million bag of rice with proper irrigation and fertilizer plus good seeds,the southeast has that capacity or even more..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere by nabiz(m): 10:06pm On Nov 20, 2020
Even south is more fertile. South mostly don't us fertiliser while north mostly do

2 Likes

Re: There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere by TooMuchStuff: 10:28pm On Nov 20, 2020
North is poor in all things.
God puts everything good in the South and middle belt region because they are his beloved.

The sight of Hausafulanikanuri Muslims alone changes climatic conditions of the area.

Imagine Auchi in Edo state is the home to few Edo Muslims. It's the only barren and arid land in Edo with temperature and rainfall like Maiduguri desert

3 Likes

Re: There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere by Manab: 10:44pm On Nov 20, 2020
TooMuchStuff:
God puts everything good in the South and middle belt region because they are his beloved.

The sight of Hausafulanikanuri Muslims alone changes climatic conditions of the area.

Imagine Auchi in Edo state is the home to few Edo Muslims. It's the only barren and arid land in Edo with temperature and rainfall like Maiduguri desert
keep talking nonsense but one day u will be surprise to see de desert land.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere by Arrewa: 10:54pm On Nov 20, 2020
Goodmarlian:
This is no news,it takes just 5000 hectares to produce a million bag of rice with proper irrigation and fertilizer plus good seeds,the southeast has that capacity or even more..
ok oo
Re: There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere by Arrewa: 10:55pm On Nov 20, 2020
TooMuchStuff:

alright
Re: There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere by Arrewa: 10:55pm On Nov 20, 2020
nabiz:
Even south is more fertile. South mostly don't us fertiliser while north mostly do
wow shocked
Re: There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere by Nobody: 11:01pm On Nov 20, 2020
Arrewa:
wow shocked
can you actually

1 Like 1 Share

Re: There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere by Y0rubakwe: 11:04pm On Nov 20, 2020
TooMuchStuff:
[s]North is poor in all things.

Imagine Auchi in Edo state is the home to few Edo Muslims. It's the only barren and arid land in Edo with temperature and rainfall like Maiduguri desert [/s]

Stop with this childish religious bigotry.

Christians are no better than Muslims in the face of an atheist. You will both be seen as primitive and delusional folk

Muslims are humans like you. You have no right to insult someone just because of their religion. This is a free world.

You Christian religious extremists are worse and more in number than Boko haram. Imagine if they give you guys guns self...

2 Likes

Re: There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere by Rugaria: 11:04pm On Nov 20, 2020
I don't worry about what I will eat any day because I work hard to make money! It's crazy how we think in this country. I mean, people in Ghana, in Senegal, in Mali in Equitorial Guinea etc, they eat! Everyday! They are not fed by fulani herdsmen. If fulani herdsmen won't sell cows and onions and peppers and tomatoes to me, open the borders! I want to buy from Ghanaians or malians or Argentinians or Australians! I can't be a trader, a teacher, a doctor and then be a farmer too! You farm, you sell to me and I buy and pay you handsomely! Which of these transactions are free? So where do you start off trying to act like a benefactor to me? I really don't get it..

2 Likes

Re: There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere by TooMuchStuff: 11:16pm On Nov 20, 2020
Arrewa:
alright
Cool.
Re: There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere by TooMuchStuff: 11:23pm On Nov 20, 2020
Rugaria:
I don't worry about what I will eat any day because I work hard to make money! It's crazy how we think in this country. I mean, people in Ghana, in Senegal, in Mali in Equitorial Guinea etc, they eat! Everyday! They are not fed by fulani herdsmen. If fulani herdsmen won't sell cows and onions and peppers and tomatoes to me, open the borders! I want to buy from Ghanaians or malians or Argentinians or Australians! I can't be a trader, a teacher, a doctor and then be a farmer too! You farm, you sell to me and I buy and pay you handsomely! Which of these transactions are free? So where do you start off trying to act like a benefactor to me? I really don't get it..
Just imagine fa..! Something we pay fully for

Unlike Niger Deltans Oil resources taken by force to the North to be squandered on frivolities in the name of one Nigeria.
We southerners pay fully for suya, nono, cows, beans, onion, peppers, tomatoes even Burantashi sef with our hard earned cash unlike the parasitic North that takes and takes for free by force of one Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere by nairavsdollars(f): 10:02am On Nov 21, 2020
very true. the foods from north is not free. if they refused to sell, we buy elsewhere

Rugaria:
Re: There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere by Rugaria: 10:33am On Nov 21, 2020
nairavsdollars:
very true. the foods from north is not free. if they refused to sell, we buy elsewhere

The government has a general embargo on food imports. That means we have to buy Nigerian if the foodstuff can be poduced in Nigeria. On the surface, it looks like a good policy triggered to help local farmers but it's actually the reason Nigerians are underfed. The reason is simple; since we can't buy from other countries directly, we must buy from these northern producers who dominate this sector. This is so because the government has made billions of solid aggricultural investments in the north, in terms of dams, irrigations, sillohs, soft loans for farmers, subsidized tractors and drainages etc. With the massive lands and their cooperative societies, northern farmers have a strong edge against Southern farmers.

One is not really bothered by this, they are 'fellow kwantirimen', right? But where it gets irritating is when you have food shortages, the government under a northern leadership will refuse to open the borders for targeted imports. The excuse is that they want to protect local farmers, meanwhile fulani herdsmen from Mauritania, Chad, central African republic, Mali , name them are busy walking into Nigeria to sell cows at exaggerated prices! Is Niger republic a state in Nigeria? These guys are making huge profits which disappear with them across the border. Obviously a huge source of capital flight since they are mainly not Nigerians and they have to change to dollars because most of them are from francophone countries. Essentially with the open borders in the north, we are subsidizing the economies of other countries as we buy food at exhorbitant rates., underfeeding Nigerian citizens in the process.
Re: There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere by tartar9(m): 11:23am On Nov 21, 2020
TooMuchStuff:

Just imagine fa..! Something we pay fully for

Unlike Niger Deltans Oil resources taken by force to the North to be squandered on frivolities in the name of one Nigeria.
We southerners pay fully for suya, nono, cows, beans, onion, peppers, tomatoes even Burantashi sef with our hard earned cash unlike the parasitic North that takes and takes for free by force of one Nigeria
Idiot,the same Niger-Delta oil is what you get almost all your allocation in your baby factory region.
You expect them to give you their toil and sweat of years for free over oil which you don't work for undecided
Re: There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 11:29am On Nov 21, 2020
Goodmarlian:
Like how hunger finished 3 million,a fourth of your then population,due to food blockade.
Re: There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 11:30am On Nov 21, 2020
TooMuchStuff:

You igbos have serious issues
Re: There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere by BigSarah(f): 11:31am On Nov 21, 2020
This is true, every region has the potential to do so
Re: There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 11:36am On Nov 21, 2020
Rugaria:
Are you also willing to pay "ten times" the prices of what you're already paying for many of those produce?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 11:39am On Nov 21, 2020
Using your logic,then most places on earth can feed themselves. But in practice that's not what will happen.
Re: There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere by NOwazobia: 11:41am On Nov 21, 2020
Y0rubakwe:

Stop with this childish religious bigotry.

Christians are no better than Muslims in the face of an atheist. You will both be seen as primitive and delusional folk

Muslims are humans like you. You have no right to insult someone just because of their religion. This is a free world.

You Christian religious extremists are worse and more in number than Boko haram. Imagine if they give you guys guns self...
who is an atheist to judge what is and what is not moral? They are responsible for most individual crimes in the world directly or indirectly as they believe they are a law to themselves. An atheist have no pedestal to judge anything in the world as they are mostly confused with no define purpose nor constitution. You also behave untinlligently by saying Christians are worst because if they are given guns they will do worst... You already judged them in advance, which is dum. The type of life you live freely in the south, can you live it freely in the north without a ghastly or fatal repercussions. Imagine the devil trying to judge an allege devil. Intelligent atheist indeed. Although, what that guy said was uncalled for but you spoke out of courtesy.
Re: There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere by Goodmarlian: 11:49am On Nov 21, 2020
BeLookingIDIOT:

Like how hunger finished 3 million,a fourth of your then population,due to food blockade.

Aboki who cultivates crops during war when they are bombings and shooting everywhere?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere by NOwazobia: 12:04pm On Nov 21, 2020
TooMuchStuff:

The average Christian will not say this, let alone the deeper Christian. This is grossly untrue and also uncalled for. You are only smearing the Christian faith with such posts.
Re: There Is No Section Of Nigeria That Can't Feed Itself - Afenifere by TooMuchStuff: 12:43pm On Nov 21, 2020
NOwazobia:
The average Christian will not say this, let alone the deeper Christian. This is grossly untrue and also uncalled for. You are only smearing the Christian faith with such posts.
But it's a free world.....

Nothing stops your observations from being aired

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sunday Igboho Reject Nnamdi Kanu / Gumi: What I Discussed With Obasanjo / Sit-at-home Order: Ebonyi Records 100% Compliance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.