Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,484 members, 7,958,475 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 03:04 PM

Will Osinbajo’s Actions On Hike In Food Prices Solve The Problem? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Will Osinbajo’s Actions On Hike In Food Prices Solve The Problem? (334 Views)

We Are Taking Actions On Simon Ekpa’s Case, Finnish Govt Confirms / Okonjo-Iweala Used An Old Photo To Illustrate Social Distancing In Food Sharing / "Will Osinbajo Join?" - FFK Reacts To The RCCG Protest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will Osinbajo’s Actions On Hike In Food Prices Solve The Problem? by TheRareGem1(f): 6:41pm On Nov 21, 2020
Many Nigerians are worried about the recent hike in food prices especially this one that December is almost here. I have noticed there is this unspoken rule among Nigerian traders, that when food prices go up they hardly come down.

With that been said, earlier in the week my friend and I had gone to the market immediately after work. It was not a weekend of serious shopping but just a little restock to take us through the rest of the week, maybe the month. But to our surprise the price of onions alone shook us, not to talk of rice, tomatoes, oil etc. To cut the long story short, we ended up cancelling a lot of items on our list and of course seriously cut our coat according to our fabric and not our tummy in this case.

I got home that day and went to rant on Facebook on when our government will know this impending danger and act on it. One of my followers who felt my pain told me soonest things will change that the government is aware, more like Osinbajo is aware. I told him I won’t believe a word until I see, read or hear it myself. He then forwarded a press statement from the Office of the Vice President.

I might not be a fan of this administration but I always give Osinbajo a benefit of doubt especially cause of his track record with making sure government resources get to the people. The most recent is the Survival Fund (my electrician benefitted likewise some teachers in my neighbourhood), I know my own will soon reach me. So I read this statement and I thought to share some things I learnt from there with people who have similar concerns like mine.

The good news is that Osinbajo and other governors received a presentation on why there is a hike in the prices of food. Some of the reasons given where delay in harvesting due to the COVID-19 pandemic, conflicts between farmers and herders, delay in the delivery of food due to road blockages by protesters among others. Although the last point can be debated, let’s not forget there were videos of truckloads of perishable goods stuck in traffic. The ripple effect of the EndSARS protests will be discussed later under a different heading.

Immediately the presentation to the National Executive Council ended, VP directed all state governors and key players in the Agricultural sector to adopt urgent measures to deal with the situation. He instructed them to use social protection schemes and resume implementation of the Agriculture for Food and Job Plan (AFJP) in the ESP.
For many who did not follow the FG’s response to COVID-19, AFJP is a one-year agriculture-focused intervention scheme created by the Osinbajo-led Economic Sustainability Committee that directly tackles the negative impact of the virus on the economy and livelihoods of farmers by creating more access to food while also providing jobs.
If there are more investments and financing in the sector, security of lives of farmers and their farms among other measures, I am hopeful that there will be surplus of food in the country and from my little knowledge of Economics, when supply is more than demand prices will drop.

I have heard people praise the VP on his interventions and actions on many issues, I hope to join many Nigerians to acknowledge his efforts on the food hike. I also understand we all have a role to play, from the governors, to the farmers, to the sellers and all in between down to the consumers, let’s do our part to fight the food hike.

Re: Will Osinbajo’s Actions On Hike In Food Prices Solve The Problem? by Yenefer(f): 6:42pm On Nov 21, 2020
Osibanjo/El rufai 2023 insha Allah

1 Like

Re: Will Osinbajo’s Actions On Hike In Food Prices Solve The Problem? by Elvictor: 6:44pm On Nov 21, 2020
waiting for Osinbajo to solve anything is to expect Nigeria to be developed by our politicians
Re: Will Osinbajo’s Actions On Hike In Food Prices Solve The Problem? by Elvictor: 6:44pm On Nov 21, 2020
Yenefer:

El Rufai for president 2023, Insha Allah.
Osinbajo we don't know him oh
Re: Will Osinbajo’s Actions On Hike In Food Prices Solve The Problem? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Nov 21, 2020
Elvictor:
waiting for Osinbajo to solve anything is to expect Nigeria to be developed by our politicians

Yorubas are just trying hard too market osinbajo by any means possible

but osinbajo himself is a fraud
Re: Will Osinbajo’s Actions On Hike In Food Prices Solve The Problem? by Elvictor: 6:48pm On Nov 21, 2020
Juliusmalema:

Yorubas are just trying hard too market osinbajo by any means possible

but osinbajo himself is a fraud

instead of me to vote Osinbajo to be president I will vote in El Rufai to complete the wonderful development that his brother is doing in Western Nigeria lwkm sweet.
Re: Will Osinbajo’s Actions On Hike In Food Prices Solve The Problem? by Yenefer(f): 6:48pm On Nov 21, 2020
Elvictor:

El Rufai for president 2023, Insha Allah.

Osinbajo we don't know him oh
the South West deserve to test the leadership. If not South East will mock them forever, they will both trust us less and think like we don't care about national unity. Which we pretend we do
Re: Will Osinbajo’s Actions On Hike In Food Prices Solve The Problem? by okefranci: 6:51pm On Nov 21, 2020
Osinbajo is a man of his word, I so much believe in him
Re: Will Osinbajo’s Actions On Hike In Food Prices Solve The Problem? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Nov 21, 2020
Elvictor:

instead of me to vote Osinbajo to be president I will vote in El Rufai to complete the wonderful development that his brother is doing in Western Nigeria lwkm sweet.
You're dumb bro.

1 Like

Re: Will Osinbajo’s Actions On Hike In Food Prices Solve The Problem? by Hopss(m): 6:53pm On Nov 21, 2020
Haha,you give vice president benefit of doubt as if he's the one in charge,madam na wetin presido tell am e go do oo
Re: Will Osinbajo’s Actions On Hike In Food Prices Solve The Problem? by ivolt: 6:54pm On Nov 21, 2020
They have identified the problems but they are unwilling or incapable of solving them. Will they end banditry?
Re: Will Osinbajo’s Actions On Hike In Food Prices Solve The Problem? by ojun50(m): 6:57pm On Nov 21, 2020
Yenefer:
I hope you are not taking smoke
Re: Will Osinbajo’s Actions On Hike In Food Prices Solve The Problem? by ojun50(m): 6:58pm On Nov 21, 2020
Hopss:
Haha,you give vice president benefit of doubt as if he's the one in charge,madam na wetin presido tell am e go do oo
No mind them
Re: Will Osinbajo’s Actions On Hike In Food Prices Solve The Problem? by Thunder1010: 7:02pm On Nov 21, 2020
A friend of mine also benefited from the MSME Survival Fund, this is not a scam or vote buying, it's real.
Re: Will Osinbajo’s Actions On Hike In Food Prices Solve The Problem? by Elvictor: 7:07pm On Nov 21, 2020
BabaOwen:
You're dumb bro.
how? are you not seeing what Sai Baba is doing in Western Nigeria?
Re: Will Osinbajo’s Actions On Hike In Food Prices Solve The Problem? by Elvictor: 7:09pm On Nov 21, 2020
Yenefer:
the South West deserve to test the leadership. If not South East will mock them forever, they will both trust us less and think like we don't care about national unity. Which we pretend we do

democracy isn't centred on trust my dear is what people want, my dear.
Re: Will Osinbajo’s Actions On Hike In Food Prices Solve The Problem? by forgiveness: 7:48pm On Nov 21, 2020
Yenefer:

None in 2023.
Re: Will Osinbajo’s Actions On Hike In Food Prices Solve The Problem? by Zeesugar(f): 8:01pm On Nov 21, 2020
This is not all about the government we all have our own role to play farmers transporters traders

(1) (Reply)

Ebonyi: Nobody Can Stop Us From Being PDP, Says National Vice-chairman / Gas Conversion: FG Makes U-turn, Says Vehicle Owners To Pay N250,000 / How Massive Land Grab By Ex-lawmaker Ned Nwoko Ignited Fatal Violence In Delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.