Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,200 members, 7,818,669 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:23 PM

FELA Kuti Honored With A Black Plaque In London Today - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / FELA Kuti Honored With A Black Plaque In London Today (711 Views)

Davido Has Been Busted He Never Receive Any Platinum Plaque In South Africa / Snoop Dogg Shares Fela Kuti's Photo On His Instagram Page / Ada Ameh Honored With A Chieftaincy Title In Benue State (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FELA Kuti Honored With A Black Plaque In London Today by peacekante: 7:17pm On Nov 21, 2020
Afrobeat pioneer Fela Kuti has been honoured with a commemorative plaque in London.

Earlier this year Clash noted the paucity of representative by British heritage organisations of Black history, and pointed out a few examples.

Pleasingly, Fela Kuti has been honoured with a new plaque, and it's fantastic to see some progress on this issue.

The installation is part of the Black Plaque Project, which will see 30 plaques honouring key Black figures around the city.

A plaque for Trinity Laban alumni Fela Kuti was unveiled earlier today - November 20th - a temporary memorial at the conservatoire’s Faculty of Music at Old Royal Naval College, Greenwich.

Dele Sosimi was at the installation, alongside Trinity Laban’s Director of Music Havilland Willshire, Founder and Producer of Black Culture 365 Juliet Jackman, and Nubian Jak Founder Dr Jak Beula.

Fela Kuti's son Femi sent a message of thanks, alongside grandson Made Kuti - like his grandfather, Made Kuti is also a Trinity Laban alum, having graduated in 2018.

Dele Sosimi comments...

"Words fail me. I am buzzing, I am glowing, I am so proud. It’s a lovely thing… I feel like the plaque represents my joy and pride."

"Fela was a live and let live guy, he had so much love and respect for art. He was a true artist. He always said to me ‘it’s all about holding down the groove’ so as his rhythm pianist, I always held the groove. Right from day one, I was hooked. I teach afrobeat here at Trinity Laban, so to see this here, now – hopefully it will encourage more students to participate in afrobeat and spread the horizon of up and coming musicians."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM6C9Wn41Gs

https://www.clashmusic.com/news/fela-kuti-receives-london-plaque

Mynd44
Lalasticlala

Re: FELA Kuti Honored With A Black Plaque In London Today by uzohrome(m): 7:18pm On Nov 21, 2020
Legend is always a legend
Re: FELA Kuti Honored With A Black Plaque In London Today by Ivimilly: 7:18pm On Nov 21, 2020
Congratulations to the greatest prophet out of Nigeria

Re: FELA Kuti Honored With A Black Plaque In London Today by Amotolongbo(f): 7:20pm On Nov 21, 2020
uzohrome:
Legend is always a legend
You can say that again bro.

Every event taking place in Nigeria today under this Beasts of No Nation can be summarized as Babanla nonsense

Below is a tip of the Beasts of No Nation
CRAZE** WORLD *(after each line) / **(crazy)
Na be outside- da police-i dey
Na be outside- da soldier dey
Na be outside- da court dem dey
Na be outside- da magistrate dey
Na be outside- da judge dem dey
Na craze world be dat
Na be outside- Buhari dey
Na craze man be dat
Animal in craze-man skin-i
Na craze world be dat
Re: FELA Kuti Honored With A Black Plaque In London Today by Jake19: 7:46pm On Nov 21, 2020
Legend keep making us proud even in grave.
Baba Fela o
Re: FELA Kuti Honored With A Black Plaque In London Today by Ofemmanu1: 7:50pm On Nov 21, 2020
Abami eda
Re: FELA Kuti Honored With A Black Plaque In London Today by Uprightness100(m): 8:13pm On Nov 21, 2020
The World just likes to deceive itself!
Everybody is Just Decieving themselves..

Jejely Work out your Salvation ooo!
Reconcile with GOD through Jesus Christ,
So you don't Depart without Christ, be in torment and people eating and drinking on your Head..
Re: FELA Kuti Honored With A Black Plaque In London Today by peacekante: 9:43pm On Nov 21, 2020
Uprightness100:
The World just likes to deceive itself!
Everybody is Just Decieving themselves..

Jejely Work out your Salvation ooo!
Reconcile with GOD through Jesus Christ,
So you don't Depart without Christ, be in torment and people eating and drinking on your Head..

You don change Monika? grin

(1) (Reply)

20 Times Kanye West Couldn't Get His Eyes Off Kim / This Is What Happens In Computer Village / I Will Draw You On My kitten – Olosho President Tells Naira Marley

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.