Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,545 members, 7,823,393 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:39 AM

Testimony Of How Students Suffer In The Hands Of Their Research Supervisors - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Testimony Of How Students Suffer In The Hands Of Their Research Supervisors (403 Views)

How Students Observed Social Distancing During An Examination In Anambra (Video) / How Students Pay ‘mercenaries’ To Write Final-year Projects / How Students Receive Lectures At Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Testimony Of How Students Suffer In The Hands Of Their Research Supervisors by backT(m): 12:52pm On Nov 22, 2020
ASUU SHOULD HELP STOP THIS EXPLOITATION

On Postgraduate Courses and Thesis Defence in Nigerian Universities - A thread:

"We had to pay hotel bills for the members of the panel. You could also offer sex, if your supervisor is the devil's apprentice. Transport money inclusive."
- Erdoo N.

"I decided I'd never have anything else to do with Nigerian universities, the day I saw people defending their masters dissertation presenting coolers of rice, garden eggs and crates of drinks to their supervisors. I legit thought someone was getting married."
- Bibian U.

"We we're told we'd pay 60k each, for both entertainment and logistics of external supervisor."
-Chiamaka O.

"We spent the night prior to my mother's defense at the University of Ilorin, cooking coolers of rice with assorted meat for the lecturers."
- Omekagu.

We fed the whole department.
Paid a prior fee of 2k.
Still gave supervisor gift. This same supervisor then came on one of my Facebook posts to say how I'm too opinionated to get married. I blocked him for my peace of mind. I don't have strength."
- Sylvia E.

"My husband was so frustrated by his Uniuyo supervisor for this, that he abandoned his MBA and finally got it from a UK university without any sort of bribery."
- Uche N.

"In ESUT, students have to buy brand new suits for their supervisors."
- Udeh O.

"Envelopes filled with money. Hotel bills. Payment to the school. External supervisor's fee. The mental stress.
Ah! The only reason I'm still doing it is because I've come too far to stop. After Master's, I'll never do anything school in this country again. Never!"
- Bello A.

"Some departments will even provide you with a menu and list of people you'll feed on the day of your thesis defense.
I nearly wept for my friend, when one non-teaching staff started dragging her because meat had finished."
- Esther A.

"Ordinary B.Sc project I defended, mh supervisor collected a bag of rice. On the defense day, we went to an eatery and bought food and drinks for all the supervisors in the hall."
- Harrison P.

"The money I spent on my supervisor was enough to buy a piece of land in GRA.

-A bottle of special nonalcoholic wine and MTN airtime worth 1.5k for "consultation" before he approved my topic.
-Two months DSTV premium subscription...

-N5000 for every chapter I took to him for vetting. Except Chapter 4 - he made me pay 20k for it because, "all my project students knows I do it better."

-The day of defence, we(a group of about 15 students) paid 2k each for food and transport fare."
-Odichi R.

"We paid 40k each for 'refreshment' and 'honorarium' during internal defence. We are also going to replicate that amount, if not more, during external the defence."
- Ịhụnanya A.

"For BSc project defense we contributed money to feed the supervisors."
-Oreva E.

"My project topic was originally on aquatic snails.

My supervisor said I should bring some snails to his house, not even the aquatic snails that I was supposed to be working on. I bought half a bag of land snails for him.

A week later, he changed my topic to Catfish and demanded that I buy some catfish and and bring them to his house for inspection. I had to do it. I wish he'd asked for rice and drinks, like my colleagues were asked. If have spent less money."
- Ruth D.

"The best thing I ever did for my life and mental health was to abandon my Master's program halfway. My blood pressure was always high. They killed my zeal to study and do research. Nigerian universities? God forbid!"
- Ene P.

"I abandoned my Master's program because my supervisor wanted to have sex with me. I told him I'm a married woman. He said and I quote, "That's even better! I like them married. If anything happens, we'll both keep our mouths shut." No one listened to my report.
- Annie U.

“And Postgraduate students do multiple defenses - proposal, internal and faculty defense, then the very almighty external defense. Multiple seminars too

And refreshment is served in ALL

I swear, MSc/PHD in Nigeria was the most challenging thing I've done in my life so far”

Please share among your contacts and groups to bring sanity into the higher Institutions in our country.
Re: Testimony Of How Students Suffer In The Hands Of Their Research Supervisors by sreamsense: 2:08pm On Nov 22, 2020
ASUU should come and read people report from her lecturers, they only know how to negotiate national cake from government for her members and demand sex for Mark. Nothing more!

Many of them can not even teach well to transfer knowledge to younger generation, tangible research that can attract organization for funding, they can't do, supervising ordinary student projects, they only use idea most time, they are usually off-point because majority of them do not have industrial experiences.

Untill schools are totally restructure at tertiary level, these ASUU lecturers will only keep turning out unemployable and unskillful graduates of whom some will come back after life frustration to unlease criminal activities into the society.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

2021 Jamb Past Questions, Syllabus And 2021 Jamb Updates / Edo State Govt. Makes U-turn On Schools Resumption, Gives New Covid19 Guidelines / MC Oluomo Has Written A Book, ASUU Lecturers Show Us Your Own Books

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.