Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,499 members, 7,819,813 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:23 AM

Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria (30227 Views)

See The N200 Onions I Bought This Evening In Port Harcourt / See Onions My Wife Bought For 500 In Portharcourt Today (Photos) / The N500 Onions I Bought Today In Port Harcourt. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by IMAliyu(m): 5:55pm On Nov 24, 2020
Freeeanijor:
All this criticism is not necessary. The truth is Nigeria cannot supply all the demand needed for our day to day needs. Do you even have an idea of how big the Nigerian market is? Don't forget that Niger is a member of ECOWAS and inter-trade should be encouraged. We sell our commodities to other countries both far and near. The world depends on commerce.
Then why not just officially open the borders and let trades to follow.
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by Decryptor(m): 7:46pm On Nov 24, 2020
Onions can be grown in the South but we southerners leave it for the North to grow!

Every crop you see that grows in the North can trive 10 times better in the South but not everything that grows in the south can grow in the North because the soil up north is thatched, dry and rocky! The northerners tried unsuccessfully to grow the Palm tree so that they can cut buying palm oil from the Ease but the palm trees end up being dwarfed with no palm kernels coming out from it!

But in the East, you can comfortably grow onions, tomatoes etc in your backyard but my Igbo brothers instead of pursuing agriculture all rounder so that we cut the GDP of the North by not buying these crops from them, they are pursuing Biafra!
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by PhillipPHD(m): 8:07pm On Nov 24, 2020
Coldie:
Nigeria and Niger should be amalgamated into one country, Niger is too reliant on Nigeria.

Southerners complaining that there's no job instead of wasting years at home looking for non-existent job why don't u use that time u are using to wait for job to farm in that your unused village land.

Go back to the village use your village boys instead of using that small money u brought from the city to buy them beer use it to hire labour and clear the farm lands, use the wood instead of burning them to create a fence around the farm, use your Google map to locate the nearest river then use your education to aid how this can aid in irrigating your farm.

That's what your education and Nigeria is for not complaining

Then after the investment of money, time and efforts, the government will now tax you out or business or Fulani herdsmen will set his cattle on your farm.

The direlict enabling environment which is what people complain about, not for government to feed them.

1 Like

Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by Coldie(m): 8:14pm On Nov 24, 2020
PhillipPHD:

Then after the investment of money, time and efforts, the government will now tax you out or business or Fulani herdsmen will set his cattle on your farm.

The direlict enabling environment which is what people complain about, not for government to feed them.
The reason why fulani herdsmen are having a fields day in lots of villages is that lots of manpower that could have stopped or prevented them have all moved to the cities living the rural areas with just old people and few helpers.

Ask yourself why e dae hard for fulani herdsmen to attack towns in the south.

The fact that the govt is taxing u means your making money, but this era has passed that, these days u can circumvent not paying tax if u are smart enough
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by Freeeanijor: 5:15am On Nov 25, 2020
Angelfrost:

Tell yourself the truth... Nigeria can produce all the food her citizens need, and even have excess for export!!!...

Isn't it a shame that this nation is still so badly dependent on the whole world for almost every basic thing??!...
Charity they say begin from home, let's start from your local government level. What effort is your local government of origin making to improve agricultural output? How much is your state government investing into agriculture per annum?
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by Freeeanijor: 5:17am On Nov 25, 2020
IMAliyu:

Then why not just officially open the borders and let trades to follow.
Tell your representatives at various stages of government to lobby the APC government into doing that.
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by Freeeanijor: 5:24am On Nov 25, 2020
Limitless72:

Stop try to run in circles here.
We know all this problems are as a result of this incompetent adminstration. The reason behind this scarcity and inflation of staple food price is because of the increasing rate of insecurity in the North, banditry and book haram is the big dog sponsored by their leaders over there.

When bandits and kidnappers operate in broad daylight, demanding millions of naira from indigenous farmers before they can be allowed to harvest their farm produce, what were you expecting?

Use your head
Nobody would farm where his/her life is hanging by a thread?
You just justified why Nigeria cannot supply all her needs. There are many more factors in addition to that.
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by Bogisich: 11:12am On Nov 25, 2020
Thanks for the information keep sharing such informative post keep suggesting such post.
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by engrchykae(m): 1:03pm On Nov 25, 2020
Coldie:

If I get the kind power and fellowship nnamdi kanu got and wasted I swear igbos will be a force to reckon with.

Only thing is our neighbors will start their normal rubbish talk of anytime igbos start rising even if it's on merit or not they spin the warp and call it igbo domination.

I started thinking about our people since d day I was born and found out that most shops I used to go to were igbo people and most people I used to see on tv was always wearing abada I knew sth just wasn't right.

Almost everyday of my life I spent my time on google earth focusing on igbo land asking myself how I can make things better for our people it pains me so much to see our people suffer in anyway
first of all you need to know the God ordained destiny of the Igbo before anything else.
Maybe the rest will be revealed to you.
We need to talk privately

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Bought A Paint Of Garri N1200 / How To Cook Egusi Soup With Scent Leaf And Ugu Leaf - Frying Method (Pix,Video) / Pics From An Accident Involving A Wheel Barrow Pusher & A Food Seller

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.