Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,628 members, 7,813,074 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:27 AM

Please Help Me Decide - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Please Help Me Decide (2000 Views)

Help Me To Decide Before Relocating Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Help Me Decide by Coolgent(m): 2:19pm On Dec 18, 2020
horlahsunbo225:
You have 2 options
1 Canada check university of Manitoba (the last time I checked their school fees is 4.5m) they don't need ielt or TOEFL for their admission. There are other schools like that you can easily applied to now and you'll get admission be Early next year. Do some research also and check those university website.

2 Finland if you can grab fast yih can prepare for TOEFL within 3 weeks and write the exam. The application open in December and close by January, so you'll still have some time to act fast. Schools in Finland are 10keuro and you might be Lucky to get tutuon waiver.

Option 3 is Germany of you can learn the language
4.5 tuition per annum?
Re: Please Help Me Decide by Princewillalex(m): 3:24pm On Dec 18, 2020
Gerrard59:
I don't know what you studied and your grade but I suggest the US instead of Canada, Australia or New Zealand others mentioned. With a million naira or two, you can process your graduate applications targeting US based institutions. However, you must be ready to write the GRE (score at least 300) and TOEFL. Six million naira will not carry anywhere in Canada, Netherlands or Australia both tuition fees and living expenses. However, the deadline is too late, appeal to her to shift it to June 2022 when you will resume classes. I recommend the US because you have greater chances of being funded by the department or faculty (that's, you will not pay a kobo) thereby saving your sister a huge chunk of money (appeal to her for extension using this point). Everything depends on your grades, course, GRE and TOEFL.
Please must someone write GRE and TOEFL before applying for a master program in U.S?
How does the faculty/department funding work?
Re: Please Help Me Decide by Nobody: 3:29pm On Dec 18, 2020
lordally:

I had wanted to ignore but lemme just respond...when you need something from someone be it information or something else online...since the person doesn't really know who you are personally he/she gets to view you through the written words you write...if you read what you wrote you would realise it's not the appropriate way to ask someone for anything...cos that was rude... You need answers as soon as possible ah ah!! Did you give me answers to keep for you?...Take care

And you ended up sounding more rude than the person you were trying to correct.
After I added "Please" sorry o, I should have knelt down abi? embarassed
Nigerians are always angry, you can keep the info, I've gotten the answer I needed from somebody else and not like you have answers to it sef, "Braggado" guys everywhere, don't forget to add more shoulder pads undecided
Laslas your pride won't take you anywhere.
You sef take care.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help Me Decide by Gerrard59(m): 8:31pm On Dec 18, 2020
Princewillalex:

Please must someone write GRE and TOEFL before applying for a master program in U.S?
How does the faculty/department funding work?

It's not a must to write the GRE or TOEFL (due to the growing population of Nigerian students, schools these days waive writing English proficiency tests as our official language is English) before one applies to schools in the US. However, it's necessary especially if you want to be funded and the calibre of the institution. Funding works by a faculty (say professor) sponsoring you in his/her laboratory as a graduate student for the period of your studies. You work with this professor in his/her research fields, publishing results and eventually graduating from the university. Because you're funded (school fees waives away and being given a monthly stipend, some of which comes with certain requirements like teaching undergraduate students who offer the professor's course(s)), you don't pay anything. However, to be funded, your profile must be enticing as the professor/depairtment/faculty are/is investing in you throughout your studies. So, they need to be sure that the recipient is worthy - academically, professionally, ethically etc. No one wants to admit and fund a graduate student who is indolent, has no ethics and horrible grades over the years. That would be a waste of scarce funds which can be used for other students.

On the other hand, if you have the money, you can apply and opt to fund your studies. Schools will be glad to admit as this provides them with needed funds (admission requirements might be lax because you're paying). Most Asians esp Chinese do this and later get funded for PhD (it's an unwritten rule that you don't sponsor yourself for a PhD degree, the department does). Then again, in the very best institutions, whether you're self-funded or funded by the department, you must write those standardised examinations including TOEFL whether or not English is Nigeria's official language.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help Me Decide by Princewillalex(m): 12:02am On Dec 19, 2020
Gerrard59:

It's not a must to write the GRE or TOEFL (due to the growing population of Nigerian students, schools these days waive writing English proficiency tests as our official language is English) before one applies to schools in the US. However, it's necessary especially if you want to be funded and the calibre of the institution. Funding works by a faculty (say professor) sponsoring you in his/her laboratory as a graduate student for the period of your studies. You work with this professor in his/her research fields, publishing results and eventually graduating from the university. Because you're funded (school fees waives away and being given a monthly stipend, some of which comes with certain requirements like teaching undergraduate students who offer the professor's course(s)), you don't pay anything. However, to be funded, your profile must be enticing as the professor/depairtment/faculty are/is investing in you throughout your studies. So, they need to be sure that the recipient is worthy - academically, professionally, ethically etc. No one wants to admit and fund a graduate student who is indolent, has no ethics and horrible grades over the years. That would be a waste of scarce funds which can be used for other students.

On the other hand, if you have the money, you can apply and opt to fund your studies. Schools will be glad to admit as this provides them with needed funds (admission requirements might be lax because you're paying). Most Asians esp Chinese do this and later get funded for PhD (it's an unwritten rule that you don't sponsor yourself for a PhD degree, the department does). Then again, in the very best institutions, whether you're self-funded or funded by the department, you must write those standardised examinations including TOEFL whether or not English is Nigeria's official language.
Thank you so much for this explanation I'm grateful

(1) (2) (Reply)

Denmark Visa From Nigeria – How To Apply For Danish Schengen Visa!!!!!!!!! / Nigerians In Malta / Do You Pity Nigerians Who Go Abroad And Get Diappointed?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.