|Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,912,082 members, 7,026,113 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 August 2022 at 01:24 AM
|CPAP Machine For Management Of Sleep Apnea by nishimj16(f): 2:03pm On Nov 24, 2020|
Remember the times when a strong prod from your partner during the night to attempt to stop your wheezing and loud snoring? Tied with patchy head pain and feeling tired throughout the day, these are the prominent signs that you have sleep apnea[https://entspecialistsingapore.com/obstructive-sleep-apnea/].Millions of individuals around the globe are affected by this condition characterized by stopping to breathe multiple times during your sleep.
For sleep apnea, snoring may be the most obvious indicator, but this doesn’t mean that everyone who snores has the condition. The correct diagnosis by a certified otolaryngologist or ENT doctor and with the help of a sleep specialist is required.
Medically, sleep apnea is called obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). This happens when the throat muscles relax and block the airways resulting in episodes of cessation of breathing. Moreover, obesity is most generally the underlying cause of obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep apnea can be a major sleep problem and can lead to severe health issues including diabetes and cardiovascular diseases if itremains unaddressed.
How does an ENT doctor treat obstructive sleep apnea?
The initial step to treatingobstructive sleep apnea is by a comprehensive consultation with an ENT specialist to diagnose, evaluate, and assess the severity of thedisorder. The doctor will devise a management plan with practical expectations and possible treatments that are ideal for you. For further diagnosis and testing, you may be recommended for a sleep study to better assess the condition and the underlying causes.
Your ENT doctor can prescribe one or a combination of approaches interventions, depending on the extent and nature of your sleep disorder. Because sleep apnea is caused by abnormalities of the throat[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/]Throat muscles, surgical removal, and reduction of these tissues are done as treatment. However, not everyone is open to the idea of surgical procedures, so this option is usually recommended as a last resort.
First, your doctor will offer non-invasive options including losing weight, doing healthier habits, saying no to alcohol and unhealthy substances, prescription drugs to alleviate symptoms of allergies.The most recommended intervention to manage sleep apnea is the use of a Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) machine.
How does a CPAP machinehelp treat sleep apnea?
A CPAP machine is a compact unit consisting of a mask and adjustable tubes. This device is worn every time a person with sleep apnea goes to bed or sleeps. The tube is long enough to make it easier for you to roll over in your sleep, and the system itself is designed not to create noisy sounds so you won't be disturbed or awakened throughout your sleep.
The CPAP machine helps manage sleep apnea by delivering a continuous flow of oxygen into the airways preventing any obstruction during your sleep. This will allow you to feel more deeply asleep and enjoy and continuous sleep without sleep problems. This way, your partner will also have a restful sleep because you will not have loud snoring during the night.
More to a peaceful sleep, additional benefits of using a CPAP machine include:
• Elimination of breathing stopsproduced by the obstructive sleep apnea
• Giving a more alert and energetic mood during the day
• Improvement of mood
• Enhances memory retention
• Reduces the chance of developing more serious health problems
What are the helpful tips for using the CPAP machine?
Getting used to your CPAP machine could take time.Note that this is a transition in lifestyle and routine and the first step can be challenging. To help you ease into the usage of the device, here are tips you can apply.
1. Begin by keeping your mask on at the night for brief moments. Use it when watching the television, lounging, or studying, for instance.
2. Wear the CPAP machine every evening. This essential for its performance and also to help you get accustomed to it.
3. Even when taking short naps, use the CPAP machine.
4. Consistency is the key. It's harder for the body to adapt if you're not wearing it regularly.
5. Make sure that the mask is appropriately fitted, and it is important for a successful treatment. Ask your doctor for guidance to help you make sure you have a comfortable fit.
6. The CPAP machine can be configured to begin the airflow at a reduced rate, steadily increasing it until the sleep apnea therapy is at the optimal level. This is called the ramp mode.
7. To fit the CPAP machine, you may wish to use a custom pillow that is designed for it.
8. Make sure to clean the device frequently to prevent infections and to maintain the quality of the machine.
9. Always update your doctor for improvements and do not be intimidated to ask for help and guidance. Good communication with your doctor will make your treatment more effective and easier.
10. Don’t be dissuaded into using the machine just because it is challenging and may not look appealing. The benefits of having a good night’s sleep will outweigh the hurdles of using the device.
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2022 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121