Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,296 members, 7,829,685 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:30 AM

American Official Says Pdp Is Not A Party - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / American Official Says Pdp Is Not A Party (943 Views)

Amaechi’s Letter To Saraki Lacks Merit, Says PDP / PDP Is Buying Technology That Can Disable Inec's Card Readers -APC / Atiku, Kwankwaso, Others Have Abandoned Buhari, Says PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

American Official Says Pdp Is Not A Party by BetaThings: 3:23pm On Mar 21, 2011
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5684470-146/story.csp

Click on the link to read in full

Nicholas Ibekwe
March 21, 2011 01:28PM
print  email   

The United States does not consider the ruling Peoples’ Democratic Party a political party, a US diplomatic cable leaked to the whistleblowing site, Wikileaks, and made exclusively available to NEXT has shown.

Charge d’ affaires of the US embassy in Nigeria, Lisa Piascik, in a dispatch dated October 19, 2007, informed Washington that despite its labelling as a political party, the PDP did not meet “the common western understanding” of a political party.

According to Ms. Piascik, the PDP “lacks key ingredients most political parties share”.

After taking a swipe at the party’s mission statement, the American diplomat proceeded to deliver what is probably the most scathing analysis yet of the PDP.

“The PDP remains an agglomeration of interest groups formed around persons of prominence and power which are loosely tied together by a desire to remain in office and maintain access to the “national cake” or resources of the state”, Ms. Piascik declared.

“The PDP remains a highly fractious and opportunistic coalition of interests. True opposition, in the form of a powerful group with access to the pillars of power, comes from within the PDP - not from without as would be expected in a democratic party structure.”

She added that the party, which claims to be the biggest political platform in Africa, has no “ideological consensus” whatsoever and had remained divided from the start.
Re: American Official Says Pdp Is Not A Party by ekubear1: 3:29pm On Mar 21, 2011
God bless Wikileaks.

Confirms a lot of rumor/hearsay about Nigeria.

Here is the cable, btw: http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5684546-146/wikileaks_cable_the_pdp_lacks_key.csp

So I guess GEJ is part of the Obasanjo faction?

Or perhaps he is creating his own. . .
Re: American Official Says Pdp Is Not A Party by EnuguUkwu: 4:41pm On Mar 21, 2011
eeediot.

PDP is not a party. it is a church.
Re: American Official Says Pdp Is Not A Party by obowunmi(m): 4:43pm On Mar 21, 2011
who cares what the bleeping Americans think ?
Re: American Official Says Pdp Is Not A Party by PhysicsMHD(m): 7:28pm On Mar 21, 2011
BetaThings:

“The PDP remains an agglomeration of interest groups formed around persons of prominence and power which are loosely tied together by a desire to remain in office and maintain access to the “national cake” or resources of the state”, Ms. Piascik declared.

“The PDP remains a highly fractious and opportunistic coalition of interests. True opposition, in the form of a powerful group with access to the pillars of power, comes from within the PDP - not from without as would be expected in a democratic party structure.”

She added that the party, which claims to be the biggest political platform in Africa, has no “ideological consensus” whatsoever and had remained divided from the start.

Quoted for truth.
Re: American Official Says Pdp Is Not A Party by Beaf: 7:37pm On Mar 21, 2011
All the other parties are equally bad or worse. PDP only got mentioned, because they are the ruling party. There is no Nigerian party that meets the minimum criteria for a Western political party, which is the documents basis for comparison.

Which Nigerian party has an ideology? None! As a matter of fact, PDP is the closest to having one.
Re: American Official Says Pdp Is Not A Party by timbuktwo: 8:01pm On Mar 21, 2011
Beaf:

All the other parties are equally bad or worse. PDP only got mentioned, because they are the ruling party. There is no Nigerian party that meets the minimum criteria for a Western political party, which is the documents basis for comparison.

Which Nigerian party has an ideology? None! As a matter of fact, PDP is the closest to having one.

labour party has a clear manifesto. read it.

however, as usual your response to any attack on your beloved pdp or gej is: "well nothing is better than the PDP as they are all equally as bad, so I may as well support the candidate that comes from my zone but i'll try and be clever and dress up my support in the cloak of some pseudo-intellectual gobbledygook."

but we all see through you.
Re: American Official Says Pdp Is Not A Party by sochan: 8:10pm On Mar 21, 2011
Beaf:

Nope Beaf, PDP got mentioned because it is a nest of Thieves and Killers.
Re: American Official Says Pdp Is Not A Party by Beaf: 8:10pm On Mar 21, 2011
timbuk two:

labour party has a clear manifesto. read it.

however, as usual your response to any attack on your beloved pdp or gej is: "well nothing is better than the PDP as they are all equally as bad, so I may as well support the candidate that comes from my zone but i'll try and be clever and dress up my support in the cloak of some pseudo-intellectual gobbledygook."

but we all see through you.

Are you daft? When did a manifesto become an ideology. If you don't know the meaning of a word, reach for the dictionary, it happens to the best of us.
Re: American Official Says Pdp Is Not A Party by Kilode1: 8:13pm On Mar 21, 2011
Beaf:

You are right they are all similar. BUT, the fact that PDP has failed to develop and articulate a coherent ideology since 1999 with all the power they have makes them worse, more culpable, more dangerous.

They've been ruling since we got democracy in 1999, I'll give them the lion share of the blame, Even you can see that Beaf. These people will not bring any change. Not to the Niger Delta, Not to the East, Not to the West nor North.

Beaf, PDP cannot save our people, Bros GEJ can't fight these hawks. Maybe a man like Saro Wiwa (R.I.P) Oronto, Fashola, I'll even go with a younger Buhari with reduced presidential and FG powers but GEJ? nah! and you know this Beaf.

OBJ and the rest will choke the life out of him, let us join hands and push these people out while we can. Quit supporting them. PDP cannot reform itself.  

GEJ cannot punish those we need to punish and create deterrence. He's too compromised, too mainstream to buck the trend.

They don't believe in 100% resource control, they can't repeal the land-use act that has prevented Niger Delta people and other Nigerians from benefitting from the minerals on their personal properties and ancestral lands.

Royalties will continue to go to the Government not to you, even if they strike oil in your kitchen, Shell pays them not you. Except you can carry RPGs and AK47s, how long will we continue that? huh?

See my previous comment for more;

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-628134.0.html#msg7956527
Re: American Official Says Pdp Is Not A Party by Beaf: 8:14pm On Mar 21, 2011
^
I won't waste time joining in an argument driven only by passion. All the parties are the same, the only difference is closeness to power; when you vote, make sure it is for individuals.

sochan:

Nope Beaf, PDP got mentioned because it is a nest of Thieves and Killers.

The nest of thieves and killers is our political class, anyone singling out one party or the other is only fooling themselves. Any party that siezes power in Nigeria will be either worse or the same as the PDP, because none has an ideology. A man without principles will do immoral things, same goes for a political party without an ideology.
Re: American Official Says Pdp Is Not A Party by sochan: 8:22pm On Mar 21, 2011
Beaf:

^
I won't waste time joining in an argument driven only by passion. All the parties are the same, the only difference is closeness to power; when you vote, make sure it is for individuals.

The nest of thieves and killers is our political class, anyone singling out one party or the other is only fooling themselves. Any party that siezes power in Nigeria will be either worse or the same as the PDP, because none has an ideology. A man without principles will do immoral things, same goes for a political party without an ideology.
So are you conceeding that Goodluck falls under this class? of un-principled people and is capable of doing immoral things? Becuase that would be an interesting point, for surely you dont believe he is an exception
Re: American Official Says Pdp Is Not A Party by timbuktwo: 8:24pm On Mar 21, 2011
LOL. this is just a wild stab in the dark but, i bet you went to uniport! your unique brand of reasoning suggests that you are in fact a product of PH's finest. in fact it wouldn't surprise me if one of the jonothan's is your former teacher. it would CERTAINLY explain a lot.

as for your clear lack of knowledge on the working of political parties, let me help you out a little: a party's manifesto is their public declaration of "aims and policies". and in case you didn't know it's theses same "aims and policies" which paint a parties ideology. it's basic politics 101 man.
Re: American Official Says Pdp Is Not A Party by timbuktwo: 8:29pm On Mar 21, 2011
Beaf:

^

you can't separate the two. your boy has cut so many deals with these same goons just to get the PDP ticket - talk less of the people he is currently trying to get into bed with - that he is completely compromised. he is them. they are him.
Re: American Official Says Pdp Is Not A Party by Beaf: 8:34pm On Mar 21, 2011
sochan:

So are you conceeding that Goodluck falls under this class? of un-principled people and is capable of doing immoral things? Becuase that would be an interesting point, for surely you dont believe he is an exception

Is GEJ a political party? Abeg, somebody should go get the intelligent folk out.
Re: American Official Says Pdp Is Not A Party by Beaf: 8:43pm On Mar 21, 2011
timbuk two:

LOL. this is just a wild stab in the dark but, i bet you went to uniport! your unique brand of reasoning suggests that you are in fact a product of PH's finest. in fact it wouldn't surprise me if one of the jonothan's is your former teacher. it would CERTAINLY explain a lot.

as for your clear lack of knowledge on the working of political parties, let me help you out a little: a party's manifesto is their public declaration of "aims and policies". and in case you didn't know it's theses same "aims and policies" which paint a parties ideology. it's basic politics 101 man.

When you don't have the brains to cope with an argument, it is best to sit and watch. A manifesto is little more than a set of promises, whereas, an ideology is the anchor on which those promises are made. A manifesto does not define a political party as left leaning, far right etc, only a dimwit would think so. It is ideologies that can be leftist, rightist, capitalist, liberal etc. Please don't engage me further, I really detest loud mental midgets.
Re: American Official Says Pdp Is Not A Party by timbuktwo: 8:47pm On Mar 21, 2011
Beaf:

When you don't have the brains to cope with an argument, it is best to sit and watch. A manifesto is little more than a set of promises, whereas, an ideology is the anchor on which those promises are made. A manifesto does not define a political party as left leaning, far right etc, only a dimwit would think so. It is ideologies that can be leftist, rightist, capitalist, liberal etc. Please don't engage me further, I really detest loud mental midgets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Communist_Manifesto

i guess karl marx was a dimwit.

but seriously, where did you school?
Re: American Official Says Pdp Is Not A Party by Kilode1: 8:53pm On Mar 21, 2011
Beaf:

Politics without passion is like making bread without flour. . .

I'm glad you at least saw the Passion, I'm sad you missed the REASON though, Passion is half the work. Since power is fleeting, I'm confident you will come around, I give GEJ less than 2 years.

BUT I will summarize again; We need to build structures, systems and the correct precedence. Something others can easily build on. PDP lacks the resolve to do that.
Re: American Official Says Pdp Is Not A Party by Beaf: 9:00pm On Mar 21, 2011
^
IMHO, PDP under GEJ is the closest thing to a party with an ideology in Nigeria. ACN is an extension of Tinubu and CPC is Buhari; both these men (especially Buhari) lack the tools to build any sort of ideology or lasting architectural institution.
Re: American Official Says Pdp Is Not A Party by timbuktwo: 9:09pm On Mar 21, 2011
grin grin grin grin grin

oh course you would mate. i'm sure it doesnt have anything to do with the fact that he's not a nasty northerner.

the man has shown absolutely no vision or direction in his previous incarnations as deputy governor, governor, vice president and now president. so what exactly are you basing this on, if not tribal allegiance?

you are morally bankrupt bros.
Re: American Official Says Pdp Is Not A Party by Yorubaman2: 9:09pm On Mar 21, 2011
yEPA  see scattering attack from America,   Can they help us assassinate all members of PDP

why is that those who are outside Nigeria know much more than we know .

I say death to PDP and it associates
Re: American Official Says Pdp Is Not A Party by AndreUweh(m): 10:40pm On Mar 21, 2011
Yoruba-man:

yEPA see scattering attack from America, Can they help us assassinate all members of PDP

why is that those who are outside Nigeria know much more than we know .

I say death to PDP and it associates

Stop chatting crap from your over-sized mouth. Just come home and vote PDP out.
Re: American Official Says Pdp Is Not A Party by honeric01(m): 11:22pm On Mar 21, 2011
What did they say that is new? who didn't know this before?

Since 1999, where exactly did they say they were taking Nigeria to? i mean PDP? undecided
Re: American Official Says Pdp Is Not A Party by seanet02: 4:35am On Mar 22, 2011
honeric01:

What did they say that is new? who didn't know this before? Who? A. Beaf. B. Rossike. C. U dey vex. D. Ezeuche. E. A and C F. C and D. G. All of the above. Just pick your choice!
Re: American Official Says Pdp Is Not A Party by RichyBlacK(m): 5:10am On Mar 22, 2011
I share the same view; the PDP is not a political party, the Americans got this one right!

The PDP is nothing but an organized crime syndicate which uses the national treasury to finance its projects and have no interest in solving any of Nigeria's many problems.

Though other parties may have corrupt entities (e.g., Bola Tinubu of the ACN is a shameless epitome of political corruption), the PDP is unique as it has elevated corruption to levels never seen in the political history of Nigeria.
Re: American Official Says Pdp Is Not A Party by misterh(m): 5:14am On Mar 22, 2011
We are the only ones that can help ourselves. USA will not help up vote out PDP, we have to do it ourselves.

(1) (Reply)

Zoning Crisis: Jonathan To Compensate S’west, N’east / Fashola Captained Super Eagles All Star For Kanu's Testimonial Match (pic) / Abacha Told People Ya'adua, MKO And I Wouldn't Come Out Of Prison Alive - OBJ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.