Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,751 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:22 AM

Those Words That Make Us Fail The Essay-Even When We Think You Got It All - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Those Words That Make Us Fail The Essay-Even When We Think You Got It All (361 Views)

20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know / Why Candidates Fail The Ielts Writing Test And The Solution / 7 World Famous Words That Originated In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Those Words That Make Us Fail The Essay-Even When We Think You Got It All by Surebuttons: 6:39am On Nov 29, 2020
There are some couple of factors that maim our essays and make us lose marks after having written so well (in our own understanding). One of the factors to consider is consistency in the choice of the particular English you apply in your essay, say British English or American English.
If you choose British English (which is the very one we speak and write in Nigeria ) make sure not to confuse things in terms of spelling and tenses, most importantly. For instance, the British English spelling of centre is ‘centre’ while that of the American English is ‘center’. In terms of tenses [you have to verify this with your Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary] some words such as ‘get’ and ‘prove’ do not take ‘en’ in their past participles. In their irregularity, they take varied forms. For instance, though we have irregular verbs such as shake, give, take, eat, etc taking ‘en’ in their past participles, ‘get’ and ‘prove’ do not. Hence, we have “get—got—got” “prove—proved—proved” as in present, past tense, and past participles respectively.
That means, when writing or speaking in British English, the correct way of using those two words is, for example:
“I have got my own biro.” ✔️
“I have proved him wrong.” ✔️
Not
“I have gotten my own biro.” ✖️
“I have proven him wrong.” ✖️
Another point to note is, while writing a heading/caption (in any form of writing whatsoever) you can either:
1. Write everything in capital letters without underlining. Note: never make the mistake of writing in capital letters and underlining at the same time. That is tautology. Or
2. Capitalize only the first letters of the functional words and underline. The functional words include all nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, and adjectives.

This is why https://passbuttons.com has come to help students with best content writing practices.

Writers are taught practically how to write. In this case, the writer will be first asked to submit a story or news written by the writer. Then online editors will review it, edit it and send it back to the writer on passbuttons.com. Afterwards, passbuttons.com send the writer written notes on ways forward and how to improve the writer's writing skills.

However, passbuttons.com has reputation as a weighing point. When your reputation is up to 75R, you will be qualified to start an offline free training class.

After you are trained, you will either join passbuttons.com editors, start publishing articles for money on passbuttons.com or do anything you want with your new skill.

To get started, sign up and start publishing your articles. Learn more about publishing articles on passbuttons.com.

Congratulations as you get better in your writing skills.

2 Likes

Re: Those Words That Make Us Fail The Essay-Even When We Think You Got It All by Nobody: 7:10am On Nov 29, 2020
Surebuttons:
There are some couple of factors that maim our essays and make us lose marks after having written so well (in our own understanding). One of the factors to consider is consistency in the choice of the particular English you apply in your essay, say British English or American English.
If you choose British English (which is the very one we speak and write in Nigeria ) make sure not to confuse things in terms of spelling and tenses, most importantly. For instance, the British English spelling of centre is ‘centre’ while that of the American English is ‘center’. In terms of tenses [you have to verify this with your Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary] some words such as ‘get’ and ‘prove’ do not take ‘en’ in their past participles. In their irregularity, they take varied forms. For instance, though we have irregular verbs such as shake, give, take, eat, etc taking ‘en’ in their past participles, ‘get’ and ‘prove’ do not. Hence, we have “get—got—got” “prove—proved—proved” as in present, past tense, and past participles respectively.
That means, when writing or speaking in British English, the correct way of using those two words is, for example:
Not
Another point to note is, while writing a heading/caption (in any form of writing whatsoever) you can either:
1. Write everything in capital letters without underlining. Note: never make the mistake of writing in capital letters and capitalizing at the same time. That is tautology. Or
2. Capitalize only the first letters of the functional words and underline. The functional words include all nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, and adjectives.

This is why https://passbuttons.com has come to help students with best content writing practices.

Writers are taught practically how to write. In this case, the writer will be first asked to submit a story or news written by the writer. Then online editors will review it, edit it and send it back to the writer on passbuttons.com. Afterwards, passbuttons.com send the writer written notes on ways forward and how to improve the writer's writing skills.

However, passbuttons.com has reputation as a weighing point. When your reputation is up to 75R, you will be qualified to start an offline free training class.

After you are trained, you will either join passbuttons.com editors, start publishing articles for money on passbuttons.com or do anything you want with your new skill.

To get started, sign up and start publishing your articles. Learn more about publishing articles on passbuttons.com.

I signed in successfully, but on login, am having a problem. It seems it ain't working when ever I click the login Botton.
Re: Those Words That Make Us Fail The Essay-Even When We Think You Got It All by Surebuttons: 10:44am On Nov 29, 2020
You can use the forget password to reset your password
Re: Those Words That Make Us Fail The Essay-Even When We Think You Got It All by DkJay: 11:52am On Nov 29, 2020
Surebuttons:
Not
1. Write everything in capital letters without underlining. Note: never make the mistake of writing in capital letters and capitalizing at the same time. That is tautology. Or

This is tautology.

I believe you meant, "Never make the mistake of underlining and capitalizing at the same time".
Re: Those Words That Make Us Fail The Essay-Even When We Think You Got It All by Surebuttons: 3:04pm On Nov 29, 2020
You are right. Thanks.
Re: Those Words That Make Us Fail The Essay-Even When We Think You Got It All by freemanq(m): 6:41am On Nov 30, 2020
Thanks for this article most of our English teachers don't know all this u just said

(1) (Reply)

Please Help, I Couldn't Get My PGD Result/certificate From LASU / Scholarship Or Sponsors For My Daughter Education / -

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.