Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,997 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:34 AM

Studying Or Learning Handiwork, Which Is Better. Pls Help A 20year Old. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Studying Or Learning Handiwork, Which Is Better. Pls Help A 20year Old. (697 Views)

UNICAL Law Students Protest: Handiwork Of My Enemies - Prof Ndifon / Are You Studying Or Have Studied In India? Come In! / Little Girl Studying Under A Tree In UNIBEN (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Studying Or Learning Handiwork, Which Is Better. Pls Help A 20year Old. by roldet804(m): 3:26am On Nov 30, 2020
Good morning Nlanders

I know it's a bit lengthy
But pls read carefully

I'm currently an SSCE holder
It's been four years since I graduated from
secondary school
I lost by mom when I was 9 and my dad joined when I was 16
Right now am 20years of age

To cut the story short
I got a job as a security recently, being paid 20k plus free feeding and accommodation

My boss is a very kind hearted person.
He one day called me and asked of my academic qualifications which I gave to him
He asked if I'd love to further my education and I said yes.
He then asked me to go and do some research on how I'll start studying electrical engineering(note I made the choice of the course) at a polythecnic and then give him feedback.

According to him I'll leave for school in the morning then come back by evening and continue with my duties. And at the end of the month I'll still be paid my salary.
And he'll sponsor me through school.
Although my waec result wasn't so good so I'm thinking of writing GCE.

But you see, with the way things are going on in the country, I was planning to go and learn a handiwork first preferably mechanic before furthering my education.
Now someone showed up,
1 he has the money
2 he has connections like crazy
3 and he's willing to put me through school
4 there are stories of him training and giving people jobs at offshore etc.

I would have loved to get the money for school and start business o, but, since it's a helping hand offered for free I just decided to keep mute.
I have atwo siblings looking up to me although one is working and the other Is in SS1

Opportunity they say knocks but once
But at this point I'm confused on what to do
It's ok to criticize, insult or advice, they're all welcome
I need your take on this
Thanks for your contribution
Re: Studying Or Learning Handiwork, Which Is Better. Pls Help A 20year Old. by Traininghub(f): 4:14am On Nov 30, 2020
Both! They'll help in the future. If you acquire a skill, education will take you places with your skills and you'll be more accepted and respected.
Being an educated businessman or woman gives you a better chance of succeeding.
Check my signature, no knowledge is a waste.

Re: Studying Or Learning Handiwork, Which Is Better. Pls Help A 20year Old. by femi4: 7:54am On Nov 30, 2020
roldet804:
Good morning Nlanders

But pls read carefully

secondary school

To cut the story short
I got a job as a security recently, being paid 20k plus free feeding and accommodation

He one day called me and asked of my academic qualifications which I gave to him
He then asked me to go and do some research on how I'll start studying electrical engineering(note I made the choice of the course) at a polythecnic and then give him feedback.

According to him I'll leave for school in the morning then come back by evening and continue with my duties. And at the end of the month I'll still be paid my salary.

But you see, with the way things are going on in the country, I was planning to go and learn a handiwork first preferably mechanic before furthering my education.
Now someone showed up,
1 he has the money

I would have loved to get the money for school and start business o, but, since it's a helping hand offered for free I just decided to keep mute.
I have atwo siblings looking up to me although one is working and the other Is in SS1

I need your take on this

You can combine both
Re: Studying Or Learning Handiwork, Which Is Better. Pls Help A 20year Old. by ggoldmine: 11:15am On Nov 30, 2020
What difference does learning a skill now make since you'll have to go to school anyway? It only means that you'll have to shuffle your timeline; study now, learn skills later.

He's also agreed to pay you as a gatekeeper whilst studying. You'll still need a job if you decide to learn a skill first because you won't be paid for learning a skill. If you're thinking of learning a skill while working as a gatekeeper, would your sponsor be willing to wait or finance your skills? I don't think so. You mentioned he's sponsored individuals through higher education not learning skills.

How bad is your WAEC/SSCE? You don't need a perfect result to gain admission into a polytechnic.

roldet804:
Good morning Nlanders

But pls read carefully

secondary school

To cut the story short

Now someone showed up,
1 he has the money

I need your take on this

1 Like

Re: Studying Or Learning Handiwork, Which Is Better. Pls Help A 20year Old. by Collinsemegreat(m): 11:27am On Nov 30, 2020
It's God's blessings in disguise don't play smart... follow God's leading �
I will advice choose education and continue with security job.
most important I will advice a University rather than a poly is one is close-by.

1 Like

Re: Studying Or Learning Handiwork, Which Is Better. Pls Help A 20year Old. by Seikiri1: 4:02pm On Nov 30, 2020
That man is a God sent... If you do anything that will indicate you trying to abuse that privilege and opportunity given to you, you will regret it.

1 Like

Re: Studying Or Learning Handiwork, Which Is Better. Pls Help A 20year Old. by roldet804(m): 9:59pm On Dec 01, 2020
ggoldmine:
What difference does learning a skill now make since you'll have to go to school anyway? It only means that you'll have to shuffle your timeline; study now, learn skills later.

He's also agreed to pay you as a gatekeeper whilst studying. You'll still need a job if you decide to learn a skill first because you won't be paid for learning a skill. If you're thinking of learning a skill while working as a gatekeeper, would your sponsor be willing to wait or finance your skills? I don't think so. You mentioned he's sponsored individuals through higher education not learning skills.

How bad is your WAEC/SSCE? You don't need a perfect result to gain admission into a polytechnic.

But what's the cut off point/points for poly
Re: Studying Or Learning Handiwork, Which Is Better. Pls Help A 20year Old. by generalpelu(m): 11:47am On Feb 22, 2021
roldet804:
Good morning Nlanders

But pls read carefully

secondary school

To cut the story short

Now someone showed up,
1 he has the money

I need your take on this

I probably came late. But go to school first. Even if it's OND, you'll be above the general level. And you'll be exposed to the advanced level environment which can be a big difference any day anytime.

(1) (Reply)

Textbooks / What Are Two Things You Can Never Eat For Breakfast? Unilorin Student Answers / Nysc Age Limit 2022 Updated For 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.