Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,096 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:41 AM

Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws (22778 Views)

What My In-Laws Served Me (photo) / Woman Caught By Her In-laws With Her Husband's Friend In A Hotel / 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by Nobody: 3:39pm On Mar 22, 2011
How does it feel when you are meeting your Fiance/Fiancee parents for the 1st time?
Am not looking forward to that dat day because i naturally freak-out when am tensed, especially when the questions are becoming impossible.
How was your experience?
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by 197(f): 3:40pm On Mar 22, 2011
Seriously searching for my missing GUN
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by r231(m): 3:43pm On Mar 22, 2011
^^^^ha ha ha
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by Pweety4me(f): 3:45pm On Mar 22, 2011
@r231 baby ping me wink
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by Pweety4me(f): 3:45pm On Mar 22, 2011
& How was ur experience ooo cheesy
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by Nobody: 3:46pm On Mar 22, 2011
This is a really interesting topic.

I trust nairalanders to come and crack this place up.

abi where are the married people? grin
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by Pweety4me(f): 3:47pm On Mar 22, 2011
^1 b4 us ooo angry grin
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by Nobody: 3:48pm On Mar 22, 2011
r231, we are waiting.
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by afrobaby(f): 3:59pm On Mar 22, 2011
deleted
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by Odunnu: 4:00pm On Mar 22, 2011
It was so informal for me.
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by Blazay(m): 4:01pm On Mar 22, 2011
They were very good to me. . .and still are. cool
Parents were awesome! kiss
Dem nor dey take me play at all at all!
Mu he he he he he

Especially the men.
Trust ke. . . I quickly put the femles in check(especially 2 of the refuse-to-marry -in-my-father's-house, there-are-many-mansions-there aka ile baba mi old cargo' ones), cheesy so they do not 'grow' stoopid wings wit all that their "i be agaracha-i too know" in MY house.cool

Tenk God o! They are all self-sufficient and very educated too.

No interferance whatsoever. cool
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by Nobody: 4:05pm On Mar 22, 2011
Odunnu:

My very own Odunnu is married? shocked shocked grin
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by Nobody: 4:11pm On Mar 22, 2011
More tense than any job interview.

2 Likes

Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by Odunnu: 4:16pm On Mar 22, 2011
rokiatu:

My very own Odunnu is married? shocked shocked grin
By faith, babez,by faith
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by ifyalways(f): 4:35pm On Mar 22, 2011
@OP,First meeting at their own home or at your guys place.  undecided
Some people get caught on lingerie when mama pays an impromptu visit.First impression matters most huh  cheesy
My first meeting of my husbands folks at their home was very informal been that I have meet all but the dad on visits and sleeping overs.We were already at home with each other so the "meeting" was more of a legal reunion.
Keyword is to feel free,answer questions as clear and as honest as they come . . .most parents have ears for details and can store data so don't lie,answer their questions and ask them related questions abt themselves too.

Odunnu:

By faith, babez,by faith
LOL.
Don't be deceived,the guy Dayo took you to are not his parents oooo.Dat man na Ogbomosho plumber wey he sort with 2K to pose as him old man.

1 Like

Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by dayokanu(m): 4:55pm On Mar 22, 2011
ifyalways:

@OP,First meeting at their own home or at your guys place. undecided
Some people get caught on lingerie when mama pays an impromptu visit.First impression matters most huh cheesy
My first meeting of my husbands folks at their home was very informal been that I have meet all but the dad on visits and [size=18pt]sleeping overs[/size].We were already at home with each other so the "meeting" was more of a legal reunion.
Keyword is to feel free,answer questions as clear and as honest as they come . . .most parents have ears for details and can store data so don't lie,answer their questions and ask them related questions abt themselves too.
LOL

Osanobua!!!!!!

You mean say you don dey take moans "DISTOP" your inlaws even before wedding date?

WHy are you sooo corrupt sef? You need to go to Reverend Kings "shorsh"

ifyalways:

Don't be deceived,the guy Dayo took you to are not his parents oooo.Dat man na Ogbomosho plumber wey he sort with 2K to pose as him old man.

If you know how many babez wan meet my Pale, You go think say na Ministry .
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by armyofone(m): 5:22pm On Mar 22, 2011
why you come quote her in cap?
see that your blacky fingers with dreadlock head  tongue
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by Nobody: 5:51pm On Mar 22, 2011
Odunnu:

shocked shocked shocked Is Odunnu married?? Jesu Kristi
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by dayokanu(m): 5:59pm On Mar 22, 2011
armyofone:

why you come quote her in cap?
see that your blacky fingers with dreadlock head  tongue

You want me to give you head?

Hauwa so you sef like better things. And you dey shake ikebe inside military fatique like say you no know where dem dey put Deecckk
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by Odunnu: 6:21pm On Mar 22, 2011
ifyalways:

LOL.

hmmm, strange! I always knew there was something strange about him.
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by Natasha2(f): 6:29pm On Mar 22, 2011
i hope it will be wonderful cheesy
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by MissIfe(f): 6:29pm On Mar 22, 2011
I met my FIL at my brother in law's wedding, I was very anxious due to the cultural differences but my father in law was great and made me feel comfortable from day 1. No wonder my husband is such a nice man, having a good father like his.

I guess it was still easier as a woman, things were not so easy for my husband, he got along fine with my dad but my mom had the tendency to see any boy around her daughters as a threat  wink He took things easy with his usual patience and didn't reply any of her attacks, years down the road, my mom now keeps praising him and always takes his side if I ever complain  grin

1 Like

Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by chillbabe(f): 8:18am On Mar 23, 2011
Meeting my husband parents was a task for me sins am not Nigerian i landed and when i came to our house they where there. I watch allot of Naija movies so i was prepared but to my surprise they took me in i have wonderfull inlwas. Now when i report their son to them they always take my side, gheghe hi hihi hahaha. They luv me as their daughters his father doesnt play with me. So why do the Naija movies send the message that inlaws are terrible

1 Like

Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by babyme1(f): 9:32am On Mar 23, 2011
chillbabe:

Meeting my husband parents was a task for me sins am not Nigerian i landed and when i came to our house they where there. I watch allot of Naija movies so i was prepared but to my surprise they took me in i have wonderfull inlwas. Now when i report their son to them they always take my side, gheghe hi hihi hahaha. They luv me as their daughters his father doesnt play with me. So why do the Naija movies send the message that inlaws are terrible
You seriously believe those scenes? shocked shocked Btw i know a woman that act those scenes in real life with her daughter-in-law cheesy

@Post: Im not married but engaged. When i first met my to-be-inlaws,i was put under a microscope. I mean, two of them came out and it was one question after the other. They were particularly concerned about my church bc they are strong Catholic. They openly warned me not to try stealing their son from Catholic bc they won't tolerate it.(I have serious plans to steal him from there after the ring wink).

Things are better now but the mum still looks at me with one kind eye angry. My boo told me he doesn't wants me being too familiar with them bc they ruined his first relationship.
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by Felibaby(f): 11:41am On Mar 23, 2011
For me, It was embarrassing. My husband is from a humble background and i am from a more priviledge background. The first time i visited him in his fathers house, they all welcomed me but with a kind of cautiousness in his parents eyes. Adding to it was the fact that i had a car and he did not have one then. I was in the sitting room and i overheard his mum asking him in the kitchen why he has choosen to buy yam from overseas instead of the local market.

Now we are married and they are wonderful people. No interference whatsoever and they dont even come to our house that much.

3 Likes

Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by matiltomd(f): 11:49am On Mar 23, 2011
Well,it was a bit informal for me too, His mum and his only sis just got back from an owambe so they were in a lively mood. His mum later told me that she liked me straight up cos i knelt down fully to greet her undecided undecided which was/is normal to me but my fiance and his siblings unfortunately aren't the type. So she was a bit awed by that single act. His dad isn't a friendly person (even to his kids) but his mum and i are very close, cheesy
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by matiltomd(f): 11:51am On Mar 23, 2011
Felibaby:

For me, It was embarrassing. My husband is from a humble background and i am from a more priviledge background. The first time i visited him in his fathers house, they all welcomed me but with a kind of cautiousness in his parents eyes. Adding to it was the fact that i had a car and he did not have one then. I was in the sitting room and i overheard his mum asking him in the kitchen why he has choosen to buy yam from overseas instead of the local market.

Now we are married and they are wonderful people. No interference whatsoever and they dont even come to our house that much.

That got me laughing real hard, grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by GboyegaD(m): 12:03pm On Mar 23, 2011
I met my fiancee's parents at her dad's birthday though we really didn't talk much.
I had gone to the ceremony with a colleague. After the church service, we went (myself, my colleague and herself) to go congratulate her dad. Trust him, he responded to our greetings and that was all. Funny enough, before then, she never came home with any guy so I guess that made the father suspicious. The good part was that she had already informed the mom that she was into a serious relationship and the mom encouraged her. So during the party, she brought the giant hand made card we did in our names and everyone was surprised. The good part was that it was the best avenue to meet her parents and siblings and since then, its been joy all the way.
Now I feel free to visit without restrictions as they treat me as a son already and the siblings treat me like one of them. You know recently, her dad teased me why I like speaking English when I come visiting because he believes that as a Yoruba boy, I should be confident speaking Yoruba all the time. But I swear, that thing na work oooooo grin grin grin.

Her meeting my mom too was wonderful. I believe the reason was because I am not the type that moves around with many girls and I already informed her and my siblings when I met her that I have met with the lady I want to marry. Everyone likes her because they believe we are compatible and people claim we look so much alike even my friends.

The advise I have is that, feel free and be yourself without fears or fervor knowing. Please try as much as you can as well to be simple and sincere.

3 Likes

Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by 197(f): 12:04pm On Mar 23, 2011
Dayonkanu QUIT using my best song as your signature undecided
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by kemze(m): 12:15pm On Mar 23, 2011
start praying grin lipsrsealed
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by r231(m): 12:25pm On Mar 23, 2011
rokiatu:

r231, we are waiting.

I can't even remember cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Your 1st Meeting With Your In-laws by Africaine(f): 12:38pm On Mar 23, 2011
hmmm,meeting my in laws for the first time was okay, They were nice to me especially the mom,she was just happy that her son had finally decided to settle down. My father in law wouldnt stop talking,relevant,irrelevant and all, he just wouldnt stop, he just went on and on, i had to check myself several times from yawning. And he felt the need to show off,something i found amusing,i had made up my mind to marry thier son regardless of whatever,i didnt undersntand,why he was showing off,he still does and i just laugh,most times. My father's money is his,am trying to make mine with my husband,and i have never rubbed it thier faces,but the guy just wont give up.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Do I Stop Behaving Like My Dad / Lady Cries Out As Man Makes Move To Snatch Her Late Dad’s House / Is 6 Months Enough Or Too Early For A Widow To Start Dating?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.