Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,976 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:51 AM

No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time (3362 Views)

Lab-grown Brains Could Replace Silicon-based Computer Chips / FG Kicks-off Modified Home Grown School Feeding Programme In Lagos / What's The Difference Between Med Lab Science And Med Lab Tech (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by sinkhole: 7:07am On Dec 03, 2020
Singapore’s approval of chicken cells grown in bioreactors is seen as landmark moment across industry

Cultured meat, produced in bioreactors without the slaughter of an animal, has been approved for sale by a regulatory authority for the first time. The development has been hailed as a landmark moment across the meat industry.

The “chicken bites”, produced by the US company Eat Just, have passed a safety review by the Singapore Food Agency and the approval could open the door to a future when all meat is produced without the killing of livestock, the company said.

Dozens of firms are developing cultivated chicken, beef and pork, with a view to slashing the impact of industrial livestock production on the climate and nature crises, as well as providing cleaner, drug-free and cruelty-free meat. Currently, about 130 million chickens are slaughtered every day for meat, and 4 million pigs. By weight, 60% of the mammals on earth are livestock, 36% are humans and only 4% are wild.

The cells for Eat Just’s product are grown in a 1,200-litre bioreactor and then combined with plant-based ingredients. Initial availability would be limited, the company said, and the bites would be sold in a restaurant in Singapore. The product would be significantly more expensive than conventional chicken until production was scaled up, but Eat Just said it would ultimately be cheaper.

The cells used to start the process came from a cell bank and did not require the slaughter of a chicken because cells can be taken from biopsies of live animals. The nutrients supplied to the growing cells were all from plants.

The growth medium for the Singapore production line includes foetal bovine serum, which is extracted from foetal blood, but this is largely removed before consumption. A plant-based serum would be used in the next production line, the company said, but was not available when the Singapore approval process began two years ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/dec/02/no-kill-lab-grown-meat-to-go-on-sale-for-first-time

Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by Karlifate: 7:20am On Dec 03, 2020
Man-made meat?

Tufiakwa

Later, they'll begin to lament how cancer OR one pandemic is killing them.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by SocialJustice: 7:27am On Dec 03, 2020
Welcomed development, humanity needs to move faster.
Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by sinkhole: 7:38am On Dec 03, 2020
Karlifate:
Man-made meat?

Tufiakwa

When it becomes cheap, it will flood Nigerian market and Nigerians with their madness for foreign things will prefer Singapore packaged chicken than chicken from local market.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by grim33(m): 7:39am On Dec 03, 2020
It’s not the first time , get your fact straight mr op
Beyond meat and others have been in business for years now .
Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by grim33(m): 7:44am On Dec 03, 2020
Unintelligent statement.
You can’t think of how much pain you create for your love of animal skin.
Imagine a higher being , breeding your generation, caging them all their lives only for them to enjoy your flesh When you’re fat.

Educate yourself man.
You sound primitive. undecided
Karlifate:
Man-made meat?

Tufiakwa

1 Like

Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by Karlifate: 7:57am On Dec 03, 2020
Gibberish!

Counter with intelligent point(s) BUT you had to resort to stupidity.

grim33:
Unintelligent statement.
Imagine a higher being , breeding your generation, caging them all their lives only for them to enjoy your flesh When you’re fat.

Educate yourself man.
You sound primitive. undecided

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by sinkhole: 8:07am On Dec 03, 2020
grim33:
It’s not the first time , get your fact straight mr op
Beyond meat and others have been in business for years now.

Mr. fact checker, I hope you can see that this is not my personal article and the source of the article is boldly put there?
If you think that the BBC, Daily mail, TheGaurdian, etc who are reporting this now are living in the past then you are free to lambast them!

7 Likes

Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by Karlifate: 8:08am On Dec 03, 2020
sinkhole:
Mr. fact checker, I hope you can see that this is not my personal article and the source of the article is boldly put there.
If you think that the BBC, Daily mail, TheGaurdian, etc who are reporting this now are living in the past then you are free to lambast them!

He's trying to prove "savage."

Expect more foolish replies from him.

6 Likes

Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by grim33(m): 8:15am On Dec 03, 2020
Why did you get butt hurt over this?
It’s not my fault that you’re posting old news. Why am even wasting my time on you.
Say whatever you want you’re right 100%. Happy now ?
sinkhole:
Mr. fact checker, I hope you can see that this is not my personal article and the source of the article is boldly put there.

1 Like

Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by grim33(m): 8:17am On Dec 03, 2020
Yeah yeah whatever fish brain
Now fuucck off undecided
Karlifate:
Gibberish!

Counter with intelligent point(s) BUT you had to resort to stupidity.

Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by Karlifate: 8:19am On Dec 03, 2020
See his foolishness in grand display.

Cc: sinkhole

grim33:
Yeah yeah whatever fish brain
Now fuucck off undecided

3 Likes

Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by grim33(m): 8:22am On Dec 03, 2020
Lol. E pain the weree. E dey find supporter. Whatever sha
I’m done with you.
Now fuucck off undecided
Karlifate:

Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by sinkhole: 8:24am On Dec 03, 2020
Karlifate:

No need to give him the honour of answering back!
News that was posted yesterday is an old news to him cheesy

3 Likes

Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by Twelfthman: 9:11am On Dec 03, 2020
Nothing beats natural foods.
Nature offer the best of everything.
That is what the human body is use to and any other thing aside that will be detrimental in the long-run

2 Likes

Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by abosede35876: 9:30am On Dec 03, 2020
:See his foolishness in grand display.Cc: sinkholeNo need to give him the honour of answering back!News that was posted yesterday is an old news to him
Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by rowland545(m): 9:54am On Dec 03, 2020
Ain't buying or eating... I love killing my animals by myself...it gives me the satisfaction and dominance..

Besides God said we could eat all things...so no crime committed here... Science is good but this there doing too much is out of hand.

On Christmas day we r killing a goat and I'm leading d team....I can't wait to slaughter it and spills its blood all over

1 Like

Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by Notatribalist(m): 9:57am On Dec 03, 2020
Another virus loading

1 Like

Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by Khd95(m): 10:03am On Dec 03, 2020
this is madness

make dem no import this rubbish here oo, we have more than enough fowl to eat abeg

local fowls tastes sweeter and their meats are very matured and they can withstand heat and ingredients of any kind cool

which one is cell of meat gwon in bioreactor, nonsense

2 Likes

Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by felixzo1(m): 10:14am On Dec 03, 2020
sinkhole:

When it becomes cheap, it will flood Nigerian market and Nigerians with their madness for foreign things will prefer Singapore packaged chicken than chicken from local market.
funny but true
Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by Karlifate: 10:24am On Dec 03, 2020
Twelfthman:
Nothing beats natural foods.
Nature offer the best of everything.
That is what the human body is use to and any other thing aside that will be detrimental in the long-run

Gbam!

You must be a carpenter cos you nailed it.

1 Like

Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by Lordswazz(m): 10:33am On Dec 03, 2020
I won't be a party to this, provided the eating of actual animal meat is not banned.

1 Like

Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by Khd95(m): 10:37am On Dec 03, 2020
grim33:
[s]Unintelligent statement.

Educate yourself man.
You sound primitive. [/s]undecided
i guess other animals that need to feed based on food chain will have to create their own kinds of prey too before they can eat

its called food chain you dumb skull, and humans are the apex

9 Likes

Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by Hisduchess(f): 11:21am On Dec 03, 2020
Karlifate:
Man-made meat?

Tufiakwa

As in eeeh science is part of our problem
Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by grim33(m): 11:29am On Dec 03, 2020
I’m glad you brought this up fish brain...

Lower animals are in that category because of their level of intelligence. You need to be demoted to this category.

Some humans are higher animals ( this doesn’t include you and the 3 fools that like fish smell from your fish brain) because we humans are problem solving animals and can find ways to solve complex problems.

Lower animals Can’t do any better because they operate on instincts.
We humans ( at least some of us)
Realize how much pain and suffering lower animals go through and that’s why industries are going beyond “meat” try to make a sub for animal meat just to try and reduce their suffering . This includes breeding animals just so you can eat it’s flesh.

If you don’t get the argument read about it and stop making such a fool of yourself...

Other animals can’t solve most of their problems but we can. We have . And we will eventually go beyond meat.

You embracing it or not is your problem .

Now Fuucck OFF undecided
Khd95:
i guess other animals that need to feed based on food chain will have to create their own kinds of prey too before they can eat

its called food chain you dumb skull, and humans are the apex

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by Lorayne(m): 11:50am On Dec 03, 2020
Nice one!
Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by 4gunners(m): 2:47pm On Dec 03, 2020
Karlifate:
Man-made meat?

Tufiakwa

You took the statement out of my mouth.

Humans produced, human approved it. Who are we deceiving?

1 Like

Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by KillerBeauty(f): 6:10pm On Dec 03, 2020
But they said lab grown meat is not very tasty as they haven't been able to grow fat and some complex muscles on it.

1 Like

Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by Nobody: 7:52pm On Dec 03, 2020
Karlifate:
Man-made meat?

Tufiakwa

It sounds bad but you eat other things that are man made without realizing it.
Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by Karlifate: 7:55pm On Dec 03, 2020
Atiku:

It sounds bad but you eat other things that are man made without realizing it.

Well, I can't eat man-made meat.
C'est fini.
Re: No-kill, Lab-grown Meat To Go On Sale For First Time by Nobody: 7:59pm On Dec 03, 2020
Karlifate:

Well, I can't eat man-made meat.
C'est fini.

Thank God say meat wey dey pot no dey get label/tag. grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Polytechnic,ijebu-igbo ? / Nabteb Closes Reg For May/june / List Of Cheapest Tuition Universities In Georgia And Tuition Fees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.