Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,768 members, 7,813,550 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:47 PM

Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution (9950 Views)

Tajudeen Abbas: Gbajabiamila’s Record In National Assembly Can’t Be Matched / We Can’t Give You A New Constitution, Senate Tells Nigerians / ''If The President Can’t Deliver, He Should Be Impeached''- Hakeem Baba-Ahmed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by wink2015(m): 8:09am On Dec 03, 2020
•Rules out merger of Senate, House of Reps
Deputy Senate President, Ovie Omo-Agege, has urged Nigerians not to engage in wishful thinking that the 9th National Assembly would deliver a new constitution, saying it lacks the mandate to do so.

According to a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Yomi Odunuga, Omo-Agege made the comment when he hosted members of the Alliance of Nigerian Patriots led by Ambassador Umunna Orjiako in Abuja.

The deputy senate president, who chairs the Adhoc Committee on Constitution Review, explained that the National Assembly had no powers to replace the current constitution of the country but could only amend it.

He cited advanced democracies like the United States of America after which Nigeria’s presidential system of government was fashioned as well as Sections 8 and 9 of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), saying what is obtainable is piecemeal alteration of the constitution.

Omo-Agege, therefore, urged those calling for a brand new constitution to channel their energy towards participating actively in the ongoing amendment by the National Assembly.

“One of the issues you raised is the replacement of the 1999 Constitution. I am not so sure that we, as a parliament, have the power to replace the constitution. We can only make amendments. And it is explicit in Sections 8 and 9 of the constitution how we can do that and the requisite number of votes required.

“I say that because there are some top attorneys in this country who, for some reasons, keep saying that we don’t even need any of this, that we should just bring a new constitution. We can’t do that. What we are mandated to do by law is to look at those provisions and bring them up-to-date with global best practices, especially to the extent that they tally with the views of the majority of Nigerians. So we are not in a position to replace this constitution but we can only amend,” he said.

The lawmaker described the proposal by the delegation that zones should replace states as another euphemism for going back to the regions.

“We will look into that if that is what majority of our people want. You talked about devolution of powers. The preponderance of views we have received so far is that those 68 items are very wide and need to shed some weight and move them to the Concurrent Legislative List,” he said.

On the call for scrapping of the upper legislative chamber, Omo-Agege said;

“One of the issues raised by #EndSARS protesters was that the government should abolish the Senate and merge us with the House of Representatives. We are not in a position to do that. Mr. President is not even in a position to do that as well.”

Earlier, Orjiakor called for the reconfiguration of the present 36 states structure into six zones as federating units, drastic cut in the Exclusive Legislative List and expansion of the Concurrent Legislative List, reform of the National Assembly to a hybrid presidential and Westminster systems, abolition of security votes to be replaced by regular security budget allocations and electoral reforms to ensure a truly independent Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
[b][/b]

https://m.guardian.ng/News/National-Assembly-can’t-deliver-new-constitution-says-Omo-Agege

Although Omo Agege is saying the truth.

However, a time will come where foreign powers will intervene in Nigeria case and the country will be broken into states like what happened in Former Yugoslavia where the country was broken into Serbia, Bosnia Herzigovina, Croatia, Kosovo, etc

The politicians should do the needful.

A state governor in Nigeria with the help of a foreign power can declare Independence from Nigeria or declare that his state wants to control its resources and that will spread to other states.

Nothing is inpossible in Nigeria.

Delaying restructuring is like postponing the evil day.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by tunjijones(m): 8:09am On Dec 03, 2020
Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by Nobody: 8:09am On Dec 03, 2020
He means that you can only change it by revolution
As for them they can't intentionally remove their hands fron the pot of soup

1 Like

Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by Nobody: 8:12am On Dec 03, 2020
Thelucifer666:
This is what happens when you elect northerns into every position
It is not about Northerners,It is the all the politicians...dont be deceived by that
Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by Judybash93(m): 8:14am On Dec 03, 2020
Highest paid legislature in the world's poverty capital...

4 Likes

Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by chiokeman(m): 8:16am On Dec 03, 2020
I have said it before dt Nigeria is jst an association. Evn some organizations hv a better constitution than Nigeria, hw wud u keep a book dt has no value to its citizens? jst because it favours some gullible politicians.

2 Likes

Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by Nobody: 8:16am On Dec 03, 2020
Yenefer:
Stupid, corrupt, selfish people. At this point scrap Nigeria. I'm in support of scrapping the whole system. People trade their freedom for little sense of security but the government can't provide security. Scrap the system let everyone protect their community and their families. Stupid Brits form Nigeria for there own benefits

Hahhaha yenefer don ves grin grin

Is like BMC nor pay u this month grin
Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by kutchs: 8:20am On Dec 03, 2020
Everyone knows the NASS has no constitutional power to deliver a new Constitution, all people are asking for is the convocation of a Sovereign National Conference involving people of all ethnic nationalities, different interest groups representing all segments of the Nigerian society to work out a new Constitution.
Subject their report to a referendum and we've a brand new Constitution.
What we have now is a military imposed Constitution which isn't working and will.never work.

3 Likes

Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by capitalzero: 8:20am On Dec 03, 2020
Yenefer:
Stupid, corrupt, selfish people. At this point scrap Nigeria. I'm in support of scrapping the whole system. People trade their freedom for little sense of security but the government can't provide security. Scrap the system let everyone protect their community and their families. Stupid Brits form Nigeria for there own benefits

Yenefer!!!!!!!
Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by tamdun: 8:22am On Dec 03, 2020
Thelucifer666:
This is what happens when you elect northerns into every position
Is omo agege a northerner, let's start treating our fuk up from home and stop blaming north

1 Like

Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by Yenefer(f): 8:25am On Dec 03, 2020
capitalzero:

Yenefer!!!!!!!
Yes
Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by Yenefer(f): 8:25am On Dec 03, 2020
Jesse25:

Hahhaha yenefer don ves grin grin

Is like BMC nor pay u this month grin
like seriously
Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by Amelia5: 8:28am On Dec 03, 2020
If it's to borrow money you can do that
Bunch of foolish idiots

1 Like

Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by seguno2: 8:28am On Dec 03, 2020
helinues:
But why continue using something that is not working?

Why?

Because it can be amended, and it is being amended, just as the constitution of other countries like America is continuously being amended.

1 Like

Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by favor914: 8:29am On Dec 03, 2020
Yenefer:
If you are that disgruntled, why not just pack your bags & leave Nigeria? all these your whining will not change a thing, you are blaming the British for creating Nigeria? Why not blame your parents for consummating & giving birth to you? They should have aborted you to save you from the hell hole called Nigeria you find yourself in today?
Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by favor914: 8:31am On Dec 03, 2020
Amelia5:
If it's to borrow money you can do that
Bunch of foolish idiots
Pot calling kettle black, if you or your parents were better qualified you would have been the one they were interviewing.
Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by Josywhyte: 8:32am On Dec 03, 2020
The only amendment i want to see in that constitution is that all states should control their resources...shekina
Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by Brushstrokes20: 8:32am On Dec 03, 2020
Yes o! Useless bunch of self serving thieves!

The dysfunctional shithole is long overdue for DISINTEGRATION!
Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by UCHIHAmask: 8:32am On Dec 03, 2020
Designsking:
I don't see restructuring happening any time soon with all this drama. Because our politicians seems to be enjoying our worst regrets

Abeg jare I will Design a Professional Logo or Letterhead for your Product or Company For 2k Only. Valid today please see my Signature
if they don't have the Power,then the person that has the power should do it,or are they saying the constitution of a country is absolute and cannot be overhauled by any power in the country,even if there is no reference to constitution scrapping in any law,i expect they should be able to attain it with the help of the executive and judiciary ,tha's if they are truly patriotic.....

you cannot scrap it cool,now make amendments to restructuring that provides for true federalism,they keep dragging their feets,another problem is the two-third majority vote,they would never support restructuring,the bill has been rejected twice in the NASS...
if restructuring is almost impossible,when things go boom,violent revolution would be assured...

1 Like

Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by Josywhyte: 8:33am On Dec 03, 2020
favor914:
Pot calling kettle black, if you or your parents were better qualified you would have been the one they were interviewing.

Why are u dragging his parents into this? Did he mention your parents here? It's very rude bro

2 Likes

Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by millionboi2: 8:36am On Dec 03, 2020
BlackfireX:
By this time next year :

A bag of cement #5,200
A bag of rice. #45,000
A litre of fuel #300
Chicken ; #5,ooo
which kind swell be dis na
Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by mu2sa2: 8:36am On Dec 03, 2020
ecomalchemist:
Who really cares ?

Split the country up let's go our different ways fam.
Yes, indeed! Split into 774 entities, so each lga goes its own way.

1 Like

Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by ProfAmaben(m): 8:43am On Dec 03, 2020
Yenefer:

I can't believe that I liked a post by Yenefer, anything in life is possible, people actually redeem their brains, I'm actually flaggarbasted.

1 Like

Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by UCHIHAmask: 8:48am On Dec 03, 2020
Bossontop:
undecided
Sensible people are not expecting anything good from this buhari administration
this is not about buhari's goverment,neither APC nor PDP would make any effective change to Nigeria,we have been going down the drain since inception,with the system of government in Nigeria things must keep getting bad,i agree a leader might speed up the degradation just like buhari did but,that doesn't mean that a new voted leader from any part of the country would be able to effect positive change,even the highly praised Jonathan era nigeria is a disgrace to any sane clime but because the future is now tainted with buhari's gross ineptitude we are pushed to hailing lesser condition of pain and misery that was with us....
the system of government is corrupted,we need a change to it(true federalism,regional goverment etc),voting in gandhi or budha as president would amount to nothing in this current system of government.
Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by Oshokalo: 8:53am On Dec 03, 2020
this nonses constitution that was written inside bear parlour while on green bottles,
Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by Nelz77: 8:56am On Dec 03, 2020
favor914:
That person is more sensible than you.

1 Like

Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by ThatFairGuy1: 9:09am On Dec 03, 2020
Very reckless useless and distasteful comment.
We know our bane of problems (constitution) yet you're giving excuses of not constituted by law to change it.
What useless law!

No matter who govern Nigeria, with this useless constitution, WE SHOULD FORGET ANY SERIOUS TURN AROUND.

1 Like

Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by bejeria101(m): 9:13am On Dec 03, 2020
We don't need you clowns to do it.

Coming from a mace thief.

1 Like

Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by noble99: 9:13am On Dec 03, 2020
We want to know then who has the power to change the constitution, if the national Assembly can not change it.

1 Like

Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by Nyanabo(m): 9:19am On Dec 03, 2020
Oin grin

Ndi ara ! maybe who should go back to the original drafters of the constitution to give us a brand new one. and to merge both houses me also bring about the much wanted electoral reforms.

my problem now is if the red chamber or the green can't bring in a new constitution i wonder who can ?

If they fail to bring this in place then we the citizens must call for a referendum to vote on constitutional reforms because we can fold our arms why less than 500 people decide what over 270 million people wants.

1 Like

Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by faste: 9:19am On Dec 03, 2020
Josywhyte:

Why are u dragging his parents into this? Did he mention your parents here? It's very rude bro
Don't mind the loser from the pit of hell
Re: Omo-Agege: National Assembly Can’t Deliver New Constitution by Temi231(f): 9:39am On Dec 03, 2020
sharpwriter:

Really? Is this you? Truly, there's nothing impossible for God. The first post you made that had sense. Please continue in this good sense of yours. Cheers.

I am surprised too. It is getting to everybody one by one

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We Are Not Withdrawing Obi Or Any Of Our Candidates Cases - Apapa Faction (video / Atiku: Conferment Of National Honour On Okowa Shows I Made The Right Pick / NNPC Seals LNG Deals For Domestic & International Markets.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.